BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2014 10:15 am  #41

Re: Der leere Sarg (TEH), German TV ARD, May 29, 2014

Hubby just found this at Spiegel online:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/sherlock-auf-twitter-kritik-an-deutscher-synchronisation-a-972495.html

Just take some Twitter quotes and you don't have to write a review. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 31, 2014 10:16 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 31, 2014 10:16 am  #42

Yes, you are right, this could be a bit too much for a beginner.

But there are people who only know the German dubbing and yet they are able to connect the dots. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 31, 2014 10:19 am  #43

Mattlocked wrote:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/sherlock-auf-twitter-kritik-an-deutscher-synchronisation-a-972495.html

Great tweets. This is my favourite:Sorgenboy =14px@SorgenboyFollowBBC hat Sherlock. ARD hat Nick Tschiller. Naja. Wir haben auch Mario Barth und nicht Monthy Python. #Tatort #Sherlock #tilschweiger11:23 PM - 29 May 2014 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 31, 2014 10:26 am  #44

Yes. Or this one:  "Ich frag mich immer, warum ich Mitglied bei der GEZ bin. BBC leistet mehr für weniger Geld. #SHERLOCK #Sherlocklebt"

"Mitglied" bei der GEZ!! LOL

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 31, 2014 10:32 am  #45

SusiGo wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

Great tweets. This is my favourite:Sorgenboy =14px@SorgenboyFollowBBC hat Sherlock. ARD hat Nick Tschiller. Naja. Wir haben auch Mario Barth und nicht Monthy Python. #Tatort #Sherlock #tilschweiger11:23 PM - 29 May 2014 

Although, we had Loriot. At least.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 31, 2014 10:34 am  #46

Yes, I love Loriot. One of the all-time highlights of German TV. 

May 31, 2014 10:50 am  #47

Definitely. "Sagen Sie jetzt nichts."

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 31, 2014 10:58 am  #48

Yes! And don't forget this one
"Maske? Welche Maske?"

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 31, 2014 12:48 pm  #49

SolarSystem wrote:

Or at least some incentive to keep up the decent work.

Oh, me misreading again - this time it's:

"Or at least some incentive to keep us away from decent work."

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 13, 2014 6:28 pm  #50

Rebroadcast of "Der leere Sarg" tonight on German television Einsfestival at 21:40, followed by "Im Zeichen der Drei" at 23:05 - the perfect way to start my weekend.

http://www.einsfestival.de/sendungen/sendung.jsp?ID=12215597599

http://www.einsfestival.de/sendungen/sendung.jsp?ID=12215597613

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

August 19, 2014 9:37 am  #51

A question to the German Sherlock fans:

I'd love to know what precisely John called Sherlock in the German version when he found out that the underground carriage was NOT going to blow up. How on earth do you translate "you cock!" into German without sounding terribly gross?

And is it true that they address each other with the formal "Sie" rather than the informal "Du" in the German version??? (I can't believe they do!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 19, 2014 9:58 am  #52

Hmm ... not sure about this but I think they used  something like "Sauhund". Looked up the translation. I think cunt is the right word.

And yes, they used the "Sie" until the "big question" scene of TSoT. That was horrible, when you knew the original version.

Last edited by gently69 (August 19, 2014 10:00 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 20, 2014 8:09 pm  #53

gently69 wrote:

And yes, they used the "Sie" until the "big question" scene of TSoT. That was horrible, when you knew the original version.

OMG, tell me that isn't true. A friend of mine who watched it in German complained about how they say "Sie" when they first meet in ASIP, but that was way back when ASIP first aired. I thought she had a point but I was sure they'd switch to "Du" by TBB.

I can see how the "big question" scene in TSOT actually becomes more poignant if you choose this to be the moment when they switch from "Sie" to "Du"... but "Sie Sauhund!" in TEH? How can you call somebody a Sauhund and still siez them at the same time?

August 20, 2014 8:33 pm  #54

Yes, unfortunately you can. And you can say "Bitte seien Sie nicht nicht tot." 

August 24, 2014 9:06 pm  #55

Are the critics and the general public in Germany happy with this (since the fans obviously aren't ... ) or has there been a debate about it in the reviews?

August 24, 2014 9:10 pm  #56

I think the debate was mainly among dedicated fans. I cannot remember reviews mentioning it at all before series 3 when they changed it. 

August 24, 2014 9:21 pm  #57

And although there have been a lot of reviews about S3, I think that "Sherlock" still isn't very present in the consciousness of the general audience in Germany. People watch it and that's pretty much it. For most people it's just another BBC series.

August 24, 2014 9:23 pm  #58

I had also the impression that german critics didn't really care about that issue.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 24, 2014 9:25 pm  #59

I think it is a fact that dubbing is usually taken for granted and not even discussed in reviews. The same goes for most literary translations, btw. The critics treat the books as if they were talking about the original, quite often not even mentioning the translator. Which is a pity. 

August 25, 2014 6:02 am  #60

I am really curious how other countries handle this issue. I mean Germany is not the only country which uses dubbing. I think (though I might be wrong) France or Spain also do dubbing in TV and as far as I remember from school in their languages are also a formal and an informal address. How is the dubbing done in other countries in connection with the address between John and Sherlock?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Board footera