BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2014 7:21 am  #321

Re: Parade's End

Still one of my parents' favourite performances of his.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 19, 2014 6:14 pm  #322

There are two Books about the film- one based on the original novel and is written by Ford Madox Ford. The other one by Tom Stoppard who create the movie with Benedict.
Is there anyone who could tell me,if the one,written by Stoppard based exactly on the film?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------               

-------> I am
SHER - LOCKED <-------

July 19, 2014 6:51 pm  #323

I am not 100% sure but it seems Stoppard's book contains the script with detailed descriptions of the scenes and deleted scenes as well. Therefore I think it will be identical with the series. I do not own it yet but I think about buying it as a complement to the novels (I read all four novels and loved them). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 20, 2014 9:35 am  #324

Stoppard's book consists of the original script (and yes, it does contain some deleted scenes, not many, though) plus a very intelligent and witty introduction.

July 20, 2014 10:11 am  #325

Wusel wrote:

I watched it within 2 days.
I love and admire him for his performance- that he can play so many different characters, giving everyone something specific. He plays the "non-emotional  Tietjen as good as well- for me he is an excellent actor. How he fits this charakter in the whole historical backround with the disturbances of the first world.

Same here! I was surprised, however, about the amount of humour in the episodes, there were so many scenes which had me in stitches, I hadn't expected that at all!
And one can't but feel for Chrissie and all the emotional turmoil he's unable to deal with. He's a very interesting, complicated character and Benedict managed to bring out his nuances brilliantly.

Even though I was reluctant to watch Parade's End at first, I found myself wanting more after finishing the last episode.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

July 20, 2014 11:59 am  #326

Kerkerian wrote:

Wusel wrote:

I watched it within 2 days.
I love and admire him for his performance- that he can play so many different characters, giving everyone something specific. He plays the "non-emotional  Tietjen as good as well- for me he is an excellent actor. How he fits this charakter in the whole historical backround with the disturbances of the first world.

Same here! I was surprised, however, about the amount of humour in the episodes, there were so many scenes which had me in stitches, I hadn't expected that at all!
And one can't but feel for Chrissie and all the emotional turmoil he's unable to deal with. He's a very interesting, complicated character and Benedict managed to bring out his nuances brilliantly.

Even though I was reluctant to watch Parade's End at first, I found myself wanting more after finishing the last episode.

I felt the same way, both about the humour and wanting more at the end.   I really would've loved to see a small scene of domestic bliss with Chrissie and Val.  A happily ever after sort of thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 13, 2014 10:05 pm  #327

Watching Parade's End again. I really love it. Brilliant.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

September 13, 2014 10:12 pm  #328

They've been marathoning it on HBO today.  I"m just not emotionally able to watch it again at this time.  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 14, 2014 12:17 am  #329

I'm reading the book at the moment.  I was wondering why we didn't do Ford in school.  It was all George Orwell, Graham Greene, Ernest Hemingway, etc.  I'm glad we didn't as I don't think I'd have got a lot out of this book in my early teens.

September 14, 2014 6:09 pm  #330

The book is fantastic, especially the first volume, an absolute masterpiece. the 2nd and 3rd one are non quite as good, but still a compelling read, the 4th one... well, let's not talk about it, lol.

October 1, 2014 5:49 am  #331

Oh God, I just watched them all at once, and I have so many feelings that I have absolutely no words. I'm crying with a smile on my face. Good God. I need something to help me calm down. 

I loved that they pulled me into Chrissy's emotions to the point where they were nearly my own. 

And I did do that thing where I shouted 'You B*TCH' at my computer at a particularly awful Sylvia moment. Thank goodness no one was home! 

And Roger Allam was in it, too! :D Cabin Pressure reunion!

October 1, 2014 5:51 am  #332

And Benedict got to work with his Daddy..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 1, 2014 8:36 am  #333

Have just re-watched it with my daughter. Thought she wouldn't like it, she is not much into period drama, but she absolutely loved it, we did kind of marathon. And yes, she had quite a verbal reaction to Sylvia's behaviour, as well.

October 1, 2014 12:11 pm  #334

BreathingIsBoring wrote:

Oh God, I just watched them all at once, and I have so many feelings that I have absolutely no words. I'm crying with a smile on my face. Good God. I need something to help me calm down. 

I loved that they pulled me into Chrissy's emotions to the point where they were nearly my own. 

And I did do that thing where I shouted 'You B*TCH' at my computer at a particularly awful Sylvia moment. Thank goodness no one was home! 

And Roger Allam was in it, too! :D Cabin Pressure reunion!

I had the exact same reaction to binge watching it for the first time. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 29, 2014 5:41 am  #335

We just finished watching the whole series and I am almost shaking.

Dan and I couldn't wait to do it in dribs and drabs so we did the entire Parade's End in a one day marathon.  It was tremendous. 

Dan's specialty (as an author) is anything to do with WWI so this was right in his wheelhouse.  And both of us are big Downton Abby fans so the whole thing with the British aristocracy was very interesting as well. 

This was a high quality production and BC was outstanding.  His voice was so different to what it is on Sherlock.  As well his body was so rigid throughout most of the story - you could tell he really brought his whole being into the character.  What thespian control he had of his character!  He got every emotion pitch-perfect - no easy task when your character is so resolute to bury every flicker of feeling so deep that he was almost catatonic.  My heart was broken so many times watching him carry a burden so great that it would have cracked most people in two.

I was almost in tears when he was in the trenches but still you could tell that Chrissie was more in his element with those people than he ever was back in England with the upper crusts who were so horrible to him when ever they felt it was to their advantage. 

And I loved, loved, loved the chemistry between Chrissie and Valentine.  Nothing overt for much of the film - just the light behind his eyes (those wonderful, dazzling mystical eyes) to subtly show the fire that ignited a never before felt feeling of love.  Wow!!   And Adelaide Clemens was also magnificent as the glowing object of his affections, Valentine Wannop who loved him unconditionally.  

I also loved the performance of Rebecca Hall as the vindictive Sylvia who I really felt sorry for at certain points of the story (probably because of the exceptionally strong performance of Ms. Hall).  

This whole film was epic in sweep - strong in both character development and terrifying in its action sequences.

Definitely a re-watch at some point mainly to relive the emotion of it all.  

-Val 

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 31, 2014 3:58 pm  #336

I know this is a double post (and I do apologise for it if there are rules against this sort of thing here) but I just had to add that I have already watched and re-watched his performance in this series a dozen times. 

Just utterly remarkable!  I think this may almost rival my love of Sherlock actually.  His acting in Parade's End is indescribably good.  The last two episodes of this programme grip you by the heart and never let go and he does this without histrionics.  Honestly, I have actually fallen asleep at night happily rewinding in my mind the emotion on his face as he closes his eyes and takes himself back to the quiet (but intense) pleasure of merely sitting on a hillside with Valentine's hand on his arm.  It was so deeply moving and profound. 

And of course the final scenes with him dancing with Valentine when he finally is able to break out of his crust of Vitorian stoicism and reveal his big beating passionate heart with a simple, genuine smile.  These are the moments that I live to see on the screen.

But then I start thinking about all the other wonderful scenes that I haven't mentioned and I find myself sad for leaving them out of this post.  There are so many gems in the jewel box of Parade's End that there is an embarrassment of riches to choose from.

I do apologise for going on (since most of you on this board have long viewed this masterpiece and sung its praises a while back) but for me seeing this for the first time in the last few days has been an overwhelming experience - like putting my eye up to a telescope and having the wonders of the universe truly reveal itself for the first time.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 31, 2014 4:46 pm  #337

I also watch it again and again. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 5, 2015 12:00 pm  #338

I finished watching Parade's End today, so that's another one off my Benedict Bucket List 
I loved it. And despite Christopher being a bit of a lumpish fool, I loved him too. Rebecca Hall was gorgeous and perfectly devilish as Sylvia. The rest of the cast were brilliant. The scenery, the sets and costumes, stunning. I really want to read the books and watch this series again and again.

One thing though: I know it's his fatal flaw or whatever the literary term is, but the catalyst for the whole story is Christopher's indiscretion with Sylvia on the train. It seems so much out of character that he would do such a thing in the first place. I guess I really must read the book to get the internal dialogue, and a deeper understanding of the characters.

I loved the scenes when we got to see tenderness and emotion from Christopher. And kind of following from that thought... I did think the boy Michael was his son, though that belief is based on the casting of a child with golden hair, not sure if the novel offers any hint either way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 5, 2015 1:17 pm  #339

PE is one of my Benedict favourites, too.

I hope this is not a spoiler but since you mention the sex on the train as the catalyst - it is not in the book. If I remember correctly, the only reason why they are not sure regarding the paternity of the child is that the affair with Drake and the marriage with Christopher happen in quick succession. I think Stoppard was looking for a way to make this ambiguity plausible and chose to include the train scene. 

In case you are interested in a comparison between books and film, maybe after you have read the books, you will find it here:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2852

Last edited by SusiGo (March 5, 2015 1:17 pm)

March 5, 2015 3:43 pm  #340

SusiGo wrote:

I hope this is not a spoiler but since you mention the sex on the train as the catalyst - it is not in the book. If I remember correctly, the only reason why they are not sure regarding the paternity of the child is that the affair with Drake and the marriage with Christopher happen in quick succession. I think Stoppard was looking for a way to make this ambiguity plausible and chose to include the train scene. 

Well, it is not exact: there is no train scene in the book, but it is said that Christopher had sex with Sylvia before the marriage and he feels he has been "punished" for this. It's only mentioned in one of his inner trains of thoughts, so it is rather easy to miss it.

Well, we enjoyed deeply discussing book and film once, it would be nice to bring the discussion back to life!

Board footera