BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2013 8:57 pm  #1

Parade's End - film and novel

Ok, so I know there is already a Parad'es End topic here... but since it is a general one, I thought it would be nice to have another one, dedicated specifically to a discussion and analysis of the series and the novels: I found both so stimulating and I would really love to share a further discussion with you.

I have to confess: I bought dvd some time ago but I was taking my time watching it... may be because I didn't like BC's blond looks particularly... or may be after my experience with Downton Abbey -  
I gave it a try a while ago, but I gave up ofter 4 or 5 episodes, because in spite of lavish production and superb acting I found it quite shallow, something like reading a luxury gossip column. 

Then I went down with flu. I thought it was a right moment to discover Parade's End. I put it on and after 15 minutes I was gripped, BC blond looks not important any more. I ended up watching the whole series in just one day, which was quite insane, of course. Not that I had problems with following the plot (I needed to put on subtitles in some parts, though) but it was so dense that I knew I should watch it again, with more calm. Which I did. And then did again. Falling in love more and more and more. If the first and second viewing was above all for the main triangle Christopher-Sylvia-Valentine, the fird one was for the secondary characters, which I enjoyed immensly, too.
Then of course I had to read the books. And Stoppard's script. And... ok, it will sound like a heresy, but for the moment I think I am even more in love with Parade's End than with Sherlock (temporarily, of course). I can understand why BC said this is the character he loved most of all he played.

IMO two things make it an outstanding show - a) the characters and how the actors play them b) Stoppard's script.

First about the script, because it is decisive as to how the characters are portrayed: I think TS did an amazing job. Now when I read the books - it took me a whole week, even if thanks to flu I was at home in bed - I have to say, that I don't agree that the tetralogy is a masterpiece. A would-to-be masterpiece and an engrossing and impressive narrative, for sure. Ford Madox Ford - of whom I previously read only the fifth queen trylogy - has a terrific inside into the psychological matters and as such he is able to create most complex characters and to tacle very important and delicate issues. However, he is also... how to say... lazy? He lacks discipline and tends to become morbidly verbose and digressive. While the first volume is almost perfect - almost a masterpiece - the other two are going out of focus and the last one - Last Post - simply doesn't work from the structural point of view. Mind you, I am not speaking here about time shifts, interior monologues and such - I like these techniques very much. But the language is not well revised, for example - everybody is talking the same way - and the sense of dramaturgy is is surely not writer's strong point.And the people not only think, but also talk and talk - no one is exactly talking AS MUCH in real life. FMF definitely does not believe in the merit of not-telling-it-all-and-more.
Now, what Tom Stoppard did is really amazing and I only fully appreciated it after having read the books and the script. Somewhow, he managed to convey things FMF needs 40 or 50 pages to present in few lines of dialogue: for example, I was half amused half exasperated to discover that the wretched affair of Tietjens bounced checks in film is dealt with, in a most convincing way, in a about one minute (in books it takes about 50 pages and the dialogue and the whole situations is far less effective). Also, Stoppard was able to render the characters more ambigous and thus thought provoking. They are all more than they seem at the first glance - also the secondary ones, such as Macmaster, Edith Duchemin, mrs Wannap. The only one I found flat and not at all interesting was Valentine's brother.
I did find the first episode going on a bit too fast: I would love to know more about the first years of Christoper and Sylvia, but then I discovered that FMF skip this time, as well, So if I have a complain, it would be that in my opinion Stoppard could go further and be less respectful to the original work.
Sylvia in the movie is superb (of course there is a merit of Rebecca Hall in it, as well) and complex, Tietjens convincing and far less irritating than in novels - and again, it's enough for BC to wince in order to communicate the feelings we are reading about in a 50 pages monologue in a book. Of course, you need to watch VERY carefully to catch it all. In fact, you need to watch it more than once to enjoy the richesse of the show - but this is exactly what makes a good show, isn't it?
Well... that's for now. There are so many things, but I hope we could talk about them together 

March 16, 2013 9:28 pm  #2

Re: Parade's End - film and novel

What a wonderful idea, this thread. I'm a great fan of the books and the film. To be honest, I merely scanned some scenes, e.g. those dealing in detail with affairs of military administration as I didn't understand what was going on. But as a whole it was a wonderful read and towards the end I hardly couldn't continue because I was so afraid that something bad was going to happen to Christopher and/or Valentine. 

What struck me when watching it for the first time how they subtly changed Sylvia's character to make her more likeable. In the books she's fare more negative and destructive. But is was a good decision regarding the dramatic composition. To show her drawn between love and hate, lust and religious faith - in a way as being bipolar how Benedict put it in an interview - is fascinating. 

As for his looks - he's an actor and he does what is necessary. I suppose he didn't take the part to be beautiful but to be as true to the character as possible. It's not only his looks but also the way he moves - he has nothing of Sherlock's elegance and agility, he seems to be oppressed by all the suffering and ignorance around him. And yet he's attractive in a way.

There's still so much to be said but I'll stop for now. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 17, 2013 5:07 pm  #3

Sylvia in the movie is excellent, I think Stoppard and Rebecca Hall did a beautiful work. In the novels, Sylvia comes interesting and complex in the first volume, "Some do not", but then tends to "cross the line" so to speak and becomes clearly deranged and driven only by hatred. It is still a very interesting portrayal of an ill soul, but somehow less multilayered. Also, it becomes more and more difficult to understand why Tietjens should still stick to her and protect her, since he knows exactly that she is driven only by hatred. In the movie it is hatred but love is still there, as well. And RH was outstanding in her performance, so changeable in her moods and way of speaking you could never be sure when she is sincere and when she is acting. For example, I was quite taken in by her pleadings to Christopher in Rouen hotel (just like he was!): only on the second viewing I saw that the "incident" was well planned in advance and yet another way to humiliate her husband. 
Another excellent manierism was her lughter, in the surface derisive and cynical, but bordering on hysterical, a very good expression of her unstable temperament

As for BC looks, as I said, I forgot them about 15 minutes into the film. However, I can understand why Benedict said he would like to push his transformation further: he is still far too much handsome for Tietjens! 

March 17, 2013 6:10 pm  #4

I think the scene with Sylvia and Christopher in his bedroom when he tells her about his war experience is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. It's the only scene in which she really listens to him and doesn't attack him verbally. 

And of course the short scene before when he enters her bedroom and buries his face in her dressing gown. Just perfect. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 17, 2013 7:45 pm  #5

For me, the most touching scene is when she is back from the noisy Christmas party, while he has gone to Yorkshire and for a moment she thinks he is back, so she is rushing to her bedroom calling "Christoper!" only to discover that it is "Hullo Central" waiting for her. If I recall well, there is no such a scene in the novel.  

March 17, 2013 9:10 pm  #6

Yes, that's a wonderful scene. There are so many beautiful things in this series. There is the scene when Christopher visits Sylvia in Rouen and she sees him in the mirror discovering her with Perowne. 

And I love the colours, especially in the Duchemins' house. Everything is so warm and colourful, wonderful patterns on curtains, etc. This house is a piece of art in itself. 

March 18, 2013 4:31 pm  #7

The scene in the hotel is heart-wrenching. She is SUCH an incredible bitch here and yet Rebecca Hill manages also to slip a trace of what seems a real concern for Christopher. "He looks ill". Also, when she declares that she is a woman who "desperately" wants her husband back and that she would follow him if he as much as gave her a sign, you could almost believe her. 
Yet again, the dramatic potential of this scene comes out far better in the film than in the novel, where it is stated clearly that she just want to torture him.
However, there is also one big difference between novel Tietjens and BC Tietjens: in the novel it is told repeteadly that his face is "expressionless". In the film, it's quite opposite: we can see all his inner emotions and torments clearly reflected on his face. It is amazing how one wince can summarise something the novel needs a lenghty inner monologue to deal with. My favourite is the almost invisible wince in the car (II episode), when Christoper sees Sylvia looking herself in the mirror Drake gave her.

March 18, 2013 4:52 pm  #8

Yes, his acting is especially brilliant in this film. You really feel how much he loves this character. The scene in the car is great and also his face when Sylvia tells him his mother has died. Often he uses only tiny movements of mouth or eyebrows to convey a whole world of feelings.

And another small but very important scene I like is at the end of episode V when he looks out of the window and sees Macmaster. The moment he smiles and turns around shows his taking leave of the world of politics and careerism to which he never belonged and his choosing the real world, the men he met in the war and, of course, Valentine. 

March 19, 2013 4:16 pm  #9

Oh, this is a wonderful scene (it is so exciting that every tiny detail in PE is so important and full of meaning). And in any case I think Macmaster and Edith Duchemin are the best secondary characters in the series, and Graham's & Duff's interpretation is outstanding.
Macmaster is a pitiful little vermin: he ows Tietjens everything: Christopher helped him with his career, gave him money, solved a problem that earned Macmaster the knighthood, run to help him when he was discovered with mrs Duchemin in Scotland (and ruined his own reputation)... and all this scumball does when Tietjens returns from the war is to give him a furtive hand wave through the window! Ugh!
But mrs Duchemin is even worse: I think she is infinitely more hideous than Sylvia, who at least is driven by passion of love-hatred towards her husband. Duchemin is hypocrite, spiteful and heartless "I was absolutely counting on the Germans!" (to kill Tietjens). She doesn't really evolve in the film: I think it more that we (audience) are first taken in by her pseudo-stoical endurance of her mad husband and only gradually discover the shocking truth about her true nature. It is probably the same for Macmaster, only he is too weak to disentangle himself from her influence and so he becomes a vermin, as well.

Hmm... are we two only lovers of Parade's End here on board? 

March 19, 2013 4:27 pm  #10

I think at least we're most passionate about it.  

You're right, they're very good. Macmaster basically is a weak man who wants to make it to the top. But he's not really unlikeable because he doesn't plan his moves. He takes every opportunity to build his career but he doesn't plan to hurt Christopher or destroy his reputation. Therefore his gesture and look in this last scene. He takes farewell fully knowing that Christopher would have deserved many things he got for himself. 

As for Edith, she's a real bitch and in a way indeed far worse than Sylvia. She uses people as long as she needs them and manipulates them for her own aims just as Sylvia does. In a way she's hollow and without feeling, while Sylvia is torn between love and hatred. 

I just remembered another small but brilliant scene - when his own father ignores Christopher in the club. What a symbol for the strict and callous rules of so-called polite society. Oh, I think I shall have to watch it once again. 

March 20, 2013 2:31 pm  #11

Well, Macmaster is not exactly a malevolent person: far from it. He is ambitious and weak: a very dangerous combination. He is genuinely fond of Tietjens in the beginning and still decent enough to feel ashamed for having achieved his knighthood basically be stealing Tietjens idea. Of course, Tietjens is quite generous about it, but at this point he understands perfectly what a pitiful vermin his friend has become. In the book it is said quite clearly "Tietjens hadn't been able to look at Macmaster's eyes... he had felt ashamed". Not for himself, of course, but for his miserable friend.
In the movie Cumberbatch is still able to look Macmaster in face, but during the conversation on the stairs he conveys beautifully the embarassement he feels. From this point on He doesn't expect anything from Macmaster therefore he is not at least surprised that the best his "friend" can do when Tietjens is back from war, broken and without a penny, would be greet him secretly from behind the curtain.
But the fact that Macmaster is weak doesnt' justify his actions: in the end he becomes a disgraced vermin, nonetheless.

I think the whole Macmaster-Duchemin subplot is also interesting because in a sense it is parallel to Tietjens - Wannop romance. They start, too, as two unhappy lovers "kindred spirits", she attached to a crazy husband and he wanting to rescue her. However, the "poetry" of their romance is a false poetry as becomes clear with time. It seems indeed that Tietjens despise toward poetry "your obese poet-painter talking about it (-love) in language like congealed bacon fat" is proved right!

The scene at the club is heart-breaking! 

Last edited by miriel68 (March 20, 2013 2:32 pm)

March 20, 2013 2:46 pm  #12

The parallel is indeed interesting, I hadn't recognised it yet. Both couples which both live in a sort of live triangle start not only unhappy, but also in socially impossible relationships - Christopher and Edith are both married and tied to persons they don't love and are, in a way, mad. Benedict said today one would call Sylvia bipolar which may be not so far off the mark. Her behavious is erratic and unpredictable, to say the least. 

She is promiscuous at the beginning and then turns towards a life of chastity only to renounce it again in the end out of sheer frustration. On the other hand Duchemin rants about the self-abuse and the liberation of women from restrictive clothing. 

Another thing I like about the film is how they emphasise - sometimes only in the briefest moments like at the beginning when he gets out of the carriage in front of the ministry remarking about the horse's changed diet - Christopher's love for horses time and again: a symbol of his goodness. 

March 21, 2013 3:17 pm  #13

I think the parallel is decidedly there: why, both stories even start almost at the same point (Duchemin breakfast). Also, Duchemin-Macmaster plot has a direct impact on Valentine: initially she is very naive and thinks about their relationship as a "romantic love". How very revealing the dialogue between her and Edith, when Edith wants to get rid of a baby
Ms Duchemin: What did you think we were doing? - Comparing our beautiful souls?
Valentine: Well... yes! That is what I thought. And poetry! Oh, Edith! - your prince, your chevalier!
Ms Duchemin: That guttersnipe, shootin off like a tomcat in heat...

The dialogue itself is hilarious and the transformation of Ms Duchemin from etherical poetical "Muse" to a vulgar harpy quite spectacular, however it is also essential, I think for Valentine's growth as a person: she needs to understand better her love for Christopher and pass from platonic infatuation to understanding what does it really mean to truly "love" someone, once you get rid of all sentimental banalities inflicted on us by poets. She wouldn't accept his proposal of being his mistress for one night, otherwise, I think.
There is another, quite interesting scene in the movie (I cannot recall it in the books), which adds something to the Ford's taking on the tension between esthetic/ethic approach to life. (One needs to remember that Ford himself was catholic, so he probably felt this problem quite deeply): the ladies at Macmaster party observing that "... at times like this, one realises that no one has ever, ever captured grief like MIchelangelo in his Pietà". It is a kind of aestethisation of horrors of the war, in direct contrast with what Ford shows us in the 2 and 3 volume of Parade's End.
However, my impression is that he is especially fed up with prerafaelit art - Macmaster loves Rosetti, ms Duchemin has prerafaelits in her drawing rooms and of course Sylvia herself is rather like Belle-Dame-sans-merci!

March 21, 2013 3:31 pm  #14

The dialogue is wonderful, revealing is just the word for it. She's the long-suffering wife turned into cold-hearted social climber. 

That Valentine has grown more mature is also reflected in the scenes at the school when she discovers the book my Marie Stopes. I love the scene in the common room with the other teachers and Valentine asserting herself. She hasn't lost her politicial ideals but she has learned that as a woman you have to become emancipated on a more personal level as well. She is very inexperienced in sexual matters so the book may be of help to her as well. She doesn't only speak for her pupils but also for herself. 

And there's of course the whole part from "Do you want to be my mistress tonight" up to their farewell in the street. Her preparations for meeting Christopher are beautifully filmed and it really hurts to watch her face when instead of her lover her brother comes home and ruins their plans. 

March 23, 2013 7:46 am  #15

I must say that when I first watchd PE I was so dazzled by RB performance that I scarcely paid attention to Valentine. She grew on me on second viewing and I must say she is very convincing and conveys her genuine feelings, freshness, honesty and personal courage very well, but nonetheless I think she is a little bit underdevelopped in the film, comparing to Sylvia and Christopher. It is probably due to the fact that it was more difficult to convert narrative material into dramatic one in this case, I suppose. 
One of my qualms is that we don't really learn what are her motives for being the suffragette: the first scene in which she appears is rather comical, or even slapstick-like (two suffragettes jumping and shouting and splashing red paint on Waterhouse) and I feel some more serious background  suffragette couse should have been given: in the book they are explaind in the conversation between Valentine and Christopher, when he understands that she is quite "serious" about the thing, but in the movie Stoppard had to cut so much that it was left out. Also, the fact that Valentine is Christopher's equal intelectually (and a better latinist as he is, as a matter of fact) doesn't register really. In fact, he is fascinated by her, because she is the only person he knows whom he perceveis as his intellectual match (it doesn't do any harm that she is good looking, of course, but that men to you). In the movie the stress is put more of her beeing authentic, sincere, idealist and honest, which makes her a different and may be slightly less interesting character than the bookish Valentine.

March 23, 2013 4:10 pm  #16

I'm on holiday now and will try to answer soon but I may take some time. London has a lot of distractions. 
I think Valentine's a more complex and intellectual character in the book just as Sylvia is far more cruel in the novels. For example the connection to Christopher via her knowledge of classic languages is established quite early in the books and shows her as his equal in terms of education. The scene on the golf course is a bit slapstick-like and as you said you don't see where her political commitment comes from. Nevertheless I like her in the film and I think it's a pity she's overshadowed so much bei RH's Sylvia. 
BTW, what do you make of the insinuation in the book that she might be Christopher's half-sister? It's only hinted at in connection with the alleged suicide of Tietjens sr. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 23, 2013 4:23 pm)

March 24, 2013 10:01 pm  #17

London! Lucky you  I haven't been to London for almost two year and I will go nuts if I don't come back soon.

As for Valentine and incest motive: I think it is a bit of nonsense and I am very glad they didn't bring it up in the movie. IMO Ford Madox Ford just lost it. The fact that the people would suspect Valentine being old Tietjens illegitimate daughter is plausible enough: in the world of Parade's End people (safe Tietjens family) do not do things out of sheer altruism: ergo, financial help for Wannop family would give cause to most sordid gossip. However, the incest hypothese is ruled out very clearly, not once but twice: first, in the conversation between Christopher and Mark (it is said that Tietjens family was in France when Valentine was born) and secondly, when it is told that Christopher's father was thinking about marrying Valentine himself. Surely he wouldn't think about marrying his own daughter?????
I really don't understand why FMF comes back to the same question yet again in "The Last Post". But then, TLP is not up to the level of the previous novels...

You are right in any case, they are both - Sylvia and Valentine a bit different in the movie. The difference is that Sylvia is MORE interesting in the movie than in the novel, and Valentine is LESS interesting in the movie.

March 24, 2013 10:21 pm  #18

You're right, there is probably nothing to the incest idea. And just think of all the other things said about Christopher that are just slander. Having an affair with Edith, for example. The Last Post is really strange, like an afterthought. But the felling of Groby Great Tree is from this, isn't it? I read the book in summer, so I've forgotten some of the details. 

It's interesting how Stoppard handled both women. Well said. That's just what he did. For Adelaide Clemens it's quite hard and I think she does it reall well regarding the odds that are against her. Rebecca Hall is so glamourous and complex and tends to outshine those around her. Many people said they don't understand why Christopher chooses Valentine but in the end it's quite logical. Apart from the one bedroom scene Sylvia's never really interested in his ideas or feelings or thoughts. The moment he starts to talk she gets bored or impatient whereas with Valentine there's a deep and thoughtful relationship quite from the beginning. And that's what matters to him. He marries her out of sexual attraction, no doubt, but that's not what he really looks for in a woman. 

March 25, 2013 9:14 pm  #19

Yes, RH (but Stoppard as well) is really outstanding. I found myself so taken by her ("there is something glorious about her" hehe) that I had moments I wished she and Christopher would come  together again. However, it also makes Tietjens's code of honour more understandable. In the novel he sometimes (well, increasingly) comes as a kind of masochist, because everybody, himself included, knows exactly that she hates and despises him. There is a beautiful fragment in "No more Parades" when Christopher thinks about his wife:
"He imagined Sylvia, coiled up on a convent bed. . . . Hating . . . Her certainly glorious hair all round her. . . . Hating . . . Slowly and coldly . . . Like the head of a snake when you examined it. . . . Eyes motionless, mouth closed tight. . . . Looking away into the distance and hating"
The fact that he obviously still cares for her (in the movie) makes his behaviour more touching and more human, in a way - it is not just the "parade", is is his inner struggle, as well: he hasn't given up on his wife, in spite of his love for Valentine.

The fallen Tree is indeed taken from TLP, as well as some other details about Tietjens last meeting with Sylvia etc. But TLP is so depressing and I felt kind of cheated, to tell you the truth - I think Christopher didn't deserve to end as a "dejected bulldog" after all his sufferings!

March 25, 2013 11:47 pm  #20

You're right, I wish the end had been a bit more positive and optimistic. At least they didn't die, I was grateful for small mercies. 

Another question: In the scene in part 5 when he meets General Campion in the trench after he's been wounded - what do you make of the use of light when Campion walks away? It looks a bit irreal when he's walking into the light. 

Board footera