BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2014 8:56 pm  #21

Re: Was it too much fan service?

You're fairly on topic for me because the whole of that episode was(in theory) a complete disservice to this fan.
I hate weddings and donl't drink...
Yet I still managed to enjoy it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 26, 2014 9:05 pm  #22

Lilith wrote:

Mattlocked, that is interesting trivia (i also didn't know there is a difference), yet it was not quite my point. I didn't actually say i missed more guests to that night out  Having said that, i did enjoy that scene to a degree, it was well played and it was funny. It is just not really "my" Sherlock! *lament lament* Even though i loved the notion how he thought he can actually conduct the state of drunkeness but even the best laid plans can (and usually do!) fail. 

No, I know.
I just wanted to say that he would've been more out of character, had he organized a complete party with hundreds of people.
John and he alone - that's what he knows and what he likes.
That was my point.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 26, 2014 9:28 pm  #23

Thanks besleybean. I am new to that forum and i don't wanna be a nuisance. Posting my first topic and then solidly flying off the rails, i was just not sure if people might be annoyed. So thanks!

Mattlocked, get your point now, thanks! And indeed you have a point here. agreed, a party with a gazillion guests would have been much more disturbing 

June 26, 2014 9:53 pm  #24

Btw, we have a thread with lots of discussion on this topic you might want to check out:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4069

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 26, 2014 9:55 pm  #25

Thank you! See, i was really browsing the forum left, right and centre but for a newbie there is so much stuff here and so many topics, i totally did not find this one. will check it out! Danke 

Last edited by Lilith (June 26, 2014 10:23 pm)

June 26, 2014 10:02 pm  #26

You're welcome!
And you will see that the thread is mainly about 'fan service' in TEH, so opening a new thread to have a general discussion is totally okay.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 26, 2014 10:27 pm  #27

I will check it out for sure.
Apart from the fact that i really didn't find the one topic you linked here, it is also a bit tricky in general for newbies in forums cause in some forums it is not welcomed when you start several topics about the same thing (which i understand), in other forums it is frowned upon when you bump up an old thread (which i don't understand), so i am basically just feeling my way through here. 

June 27, 2014 12:56 am  #28

Don't worry, Lilith. Post away on whatever you like!  No one bites here. We're friendly and we welcome discussion.  With long waits in between series, redundancy of topic here is pretty much unavoidable.  We don't mind....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 27, 2014 4:16 pm  #29

Just a use of words thing: a bucks party and a stag party are exactly the same thing. The  former is American the latter British. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2014 4:17 pm  #30

Which is exactly what I thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 28, 2014 11:36 am  #31

I also thought season 3 was quite different from the first two seasons and I actually like all seasons equally, but I don´t think the writers tried to please the fans with the scripts and concept of season 3.
I think they had a clear vision from the beginning how they want to do the series and which themes they want to cover. After all Mark Gatiss had said in an interview it´s a show about a detective and not a detective series, so for me it means the show is mainly focussed on the characters and their development and the cases and crimes are one way to portray these characters.
And Steven Moffat had said he always imagined Sherlock being John´s best man at the wedding after reading the novels as a teenager and he always wondered what kind of speech Sherlock would have given. So in a way I think he used the series to write his own kind of fanfiction and in my opinion he did it brilliantly. For me season 3 has been the perfect mixture of heartfelt emotion, clever wordplay, funny silliness, surprising drama and nervewracking suspense and I wonder what the writers will have in store for season 4.

June 28, 2014 11:38 am  #32

What a fantastic post.
Thank you.

June 28, 2014 11:43 am  #33

Thank you all for your input, it is interesting to me even though i clearly see it a bit different. 

June 28, 2014 11:51 am  #34

And that´s what makes the discussion in this forum so interesting! All these different opinions and thoughts, it suprises me again and again how much knowlegde about the series, the writers and the actors the fans have and much thought they put in every aspect of the show.

June 28, 2014 11:53 am  #35

besleybean wrote:

What a fantastic post.
Thank you.

Thank YOU very much for such a nice compliment!!

June 28, 2014 12:08 pm  #36

Before registering here i had read some topics and i enjoyed the civil discussions which were pretty free of fighting and bickering. I especially enjoyed the topic about What Sherlock Did, id est shooting CAM. Even though opinions really differed, folks here discussed it in a very civil manner and that was also a push for me to finally do register and join the talk. And yes, guys, that's a compliment to all of you for being able to have different views and standpoints and not getting nasty to each other! 

June 28, 2014 12:24 pm  #37

Yeah, that´s what I like about this forum too. Coming from other fandoms I have seen how insulting and offensive people can get, so it´s really nice to see how civil, tolerant and friendly discussions can be even if there are totally different opinions on the same subject.

Board footera