BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2014 8:16 pm  #81

Re: Sherlock dubbed versions

Yeah I saw that one I think ;).

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

March 20, 2014 7:10 am  #82

I rewatched TRF in German (Amazon Instant Video needs to be of some use...) yesterday... It really lacks the whole relationship between John and Sherlock. John seems like someone who is telling Sherlock what to do all the time, not like a friend trying to help his Asperger friend how to deal with "normal" people. (For example about not smile at the school where the children were abducted.)
Sherlock seems to be not caring about anything, cold and above it all... You cannot see how he is more and more terrified about what Moriarty really did to him. The guy who spoke his voice did NOT get the details of Ben's acting (I find a similar covering of the real character with the dubbing of Barney in HIMYM).
So the whole atmosphere of this episode / the whole series is covered by the stupid dubbing... the feelings are not transfered anymore... I think this is, why I wasn't that much touched and obsessed with Sherlock until I watchted season 3 in the original version (and then the old ones too).

Also the relationship between Sherlock and Moriarty is shown in a different way than I feel it in the original version...

Part of it is the stupid Sie, but it is even worse, that the speakers do not transport the feelings at all, no they even change them...

March 20, 2014 8:26 am  #83

Oh, that's hilarious . They switched on informal you in Italian version quite early, and Italian dubbing is acceptable, but Sherlock's voice is too... playful for me and of course not even close to Benedict's velvet baritone. No dubbing in Polish, there is voice-over, frankly rather awful (sometimes they manage an "invisible" version, but not here). 

March 20, 2014 8:36 am  #84

It really hurts me to see, how much they destroyed of this beautiful series, just by not understanding it, when dubbing...
If the Germans understood, what it is about, they would have let Sherlock and John use "Du" after the "Mr. Holmes" - "Sherlock, please!" because friends do not address themselves as "Sie". Also room mates don't...
I use "Du" quite often, especially on the internet, also when I wrote music reviews and had contact to music labels and musicians, it was quite usual to use "Du".
"Sie" is only used by older people or if you don't know the other person and have a professional relationship as customer - salesman...

March 20, 2014 9:35 am  #85

I think that apart from the voice as such, in a dubbed version it is almost impossible to convey emotions in the exact same way as they were intended in the original version. Let's face it, it's two different actors, and the one who does the dubbing will never be able to do exactly what the original actor did - even if the translation is flawless.

When I saw AOC in the dubbed version (yeah, I know... ) I was so disappointed...! Little Charles comes across so differently in the German version, especially in the scene in front of the television which leads to him singing that song. The scene starts with him being so crushed and sad and resigned, and Benedict's voice is almost inaudible at times, isn't it? But his German voice is far too firm and just not... fragile enough. I was sitting there in my seat, thinking "Great, that's how you can ruin a scene".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 20, 2014 9:52 am  #86

Oh, I was lucky enough to watch the original. What a shame.

And I made a test more than once. Switch on the telly, close your eyes and I bet you can tell after a few seconds if a film is dubbed. It always sounds different although it is German and spoken by trained actors. There is a somehow artificial quality to it.

Last edited by SusiGo (March 20, 2014 9:54 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 20, 2014 10:05 am  #87

It sometimes even has some sort of a 'studio sound' to it, if you know what I mean.
And I mean, we do have very good actors who do dubbing in Germany, and still.... it's just not the same. I have arguments about that with my boyfriend on a regular basis, because we have to watch everything in German because his English isn't good enough and he doesn't want to read subtitles (which I can understand, it's just distracting). We sometimes watch movies that he knows by heart in English, and when we do he always admits that yes, that's good, that's better than the dubbed version. There you go...

I urge you all to watch "The Towering Inferno" ("Flammendes Inferno") in the new dubbed version if you ever have the chance. It's a crime, really. I don't know why, but they re-dubbed it and released it on DVD, and you just wanna cringe constantly at the voices of Paul Newman and Steve McQueen. The worst I have ever heard in my life when it comes to dubbing! Go and read some of the reviews at amazon.de, people are outraged...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 20, 2014 5:52 pm  #88

Something the dubbing is really silly is Iron Sky. It is from a finnish director (and brilliant btw). The have cast both German and American actors. The Germans speak German, but if they speak English to the Americans, they speak English and the other way round. In the dubbed version, there is just everything in German... Quite strange.
I wonder if they will dubb the Serbian part in TEH...

March 21, 2014 10:30 am  #89

I first watched Sherlock in Russian and I must say that I like quite well. I even did not know whether it was in our (Czech) TV as well. So I told my mum that there are those wonderful series and she made a face and she told me that she watched a part of it but she was not interested, and particullary she could not stand Sherlock. I could not believe that so I found some scenes in Czech which is my original language and it was SO AWFUL, I mean Sherlock's voice really makes him so strange (in a bad way), like some imitation or what. I understand that they probably tried to imitate the posh accent or whatever, but in Czech nobody speaks that way, it's simply ridiculous. I don't wonder why she did not like it. 
Of course the original is the best, but I must admit that my English is not good enough to catch it all. Of course I'm able to understand what's going on on the screen but I miss so many jokes and great lines in general, that I prefer the Russian version which in my opinion is pretty good and I also like Sherlock's voice, though not as much as the original of course :-)

March 21, 2014 10:43 am  #90

I watched French version of Sherlock just for fun, and it's awful. Russian and Spanish version are fine. 
But I think the italien version is the worse. Sherlock's voice is very high, he seems playful? 
At any case, none of these voices are sexy. Benedict's deep baritone voice is the best!!!

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 21, 2014 10:43 am)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 24, 2014 6:50 pm  #91

To take up the cudgels for the German synchronization (synchronization in general).  My English skills are not the best to be honest. And I'm glad that there is synchronization.
Sure you could keep the original version and simply subtitles.
But you can also translate everything and sat comfortably in the armchairs and get it immediately. Indeed, it is very tiring if you want to read and watch at the same time what happens. Especially when talk so fast and a lot, as in "Sherlock". You missed quite a bit. Somehow this is never satisfying for me.

I mean, who cares anyway get the DVD etc and look at the original, as I do. Then I can also (after I watched  it in my language) listen relaxed to the really brilliant voices of Mark Gatiss, BC and Martin Freeman etc .
Of course I agree with the fact that a dubbed version is always phony and only an imitation. 
But a huge help for a lot of people.

Last edited by TheWomanWoman (March 24, 2014 6:52 pm)

~Please. Killing me, that's so two years ago!~

March 24, 2014 6:54 pm  #92

I always watch the dubbed version with my family and I understand your arguments well. The translation is quite good and it is a hard job to do justice to the script and the actors' mouth movements. 
The only thing I really do not understand and which is very important IMO is the formal address. We have discussed this more than once. IMO the relationship between John and Sherlock seems totally different when they are saying "Sie". And no one in Germany would use this form of address among best friends sharing a flat. 
But apart from that they do quite a good job. And I am looking forward to seeing what they will do with some crucial scenes in series 3. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 24, 2014 6:55 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 24, 2014 7:18 pm  #93

I  agree and I see its odd. But to me it is ok. Because they are in series 1 and 2 more acquaintance in the beginning then later on friends but not close until the end. I am quite sure they are going to turn the formal "Sie" into "Du" in series 3.
But to me it is also funny when they address formally but fight like old friends like in Scandal in Belgravia "I had bad days" -scene.

~Please. Killing me, that's so two years ago!~

May 3, 2014 9:10 pm  #94

So with all of you going on and on about how the dubbed versions are awful  I am now trying to watch it all in English. But I must admit that it is quite hard for me, I mean I can read in English just fine, all of the books in my Kindle are in English anyway, but I'm not able to catch it all in audio, what with their high-speed speaking and all. Besides I'm more used to American English, and the British accent is even more difficult for me to understand. But I suppose that it can only get better and when S4 is finnaly out I'll be prepared :-)

May 3, 2014 9:27 pm  #95

well use subtitles, I always do ;) and trust me, you will get used to the accent and then you have problems with the american one

May 3, 2014 10:02 pm  #96

zeratul wrote:

well use subtitles

The problem with using subtitles is that then I concentrate too much on them. In that case I would miss too much of Benedict's gorgeous expressions and.. cheekbones and... eyes and... body and... ok I suppose I got a bit carried away here :-D Um lets just say that that simply wouldn't do. Anyway I guess I'll simply have to watch it all over and over again untill I understand every little bit... hmmmm that does not sound so bad anyway :-D

May 3, 2014 10:15 pm  #97

In my country there was no dubbed version but on TV it was with lector. I couldn't stand this for one minute, I know that in public television films and series have to have lector but it was totally awful

SHERlocked33 wrote:

zeratul wrote:

well use subtitles

The problem with using subtitles is that then I concentrate too much on them.

I had the same problem, but after watching series 3 or 4 times I remember exactly what characters were saying and finally could focus on actors play

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 3, 2014 10:25 pm  #98

MartaSt wrote:

In my country there was no dubbed version but on TV it was with lector. I couldn't stand this for one minute, I know that in public television films and series have to have lector but it was totally awful

Sorry but what that means, with lector? Something like in old foreign movies on video tapes (like translation by one person for all characters while the original sound is still audible)?

May 3, 2014 11:41 pm  #99

Yes, exactly. One person is translating all characters, usually with the same bored and slow tone even if the character is for example shouting (really). In Poland that is the most common way of translating films and series on public televsion. And if dubbing exist it's usually even worse than the lector. Of course there some exceptions but not many. That's why I don't watch films and series on TV.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 3, 2014 11:43 pm  #100

Oh gosh, I prefer the German dubbing then...

Well you can also learn not to focus too much on the subtitles...
Also after watching it more than once you do not need the subs anymore, but at Sherlock it is better to get every word I think ;).

Board footera