BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 9:04 pm  #1

Did they give us too much?

Saw the first episode last night and loved it, of course. But am I the only one who thinks it was a little too self-referential and winked a little too often at the fans? Examples: the shirt question, the coat request, Anderson over the top, the theories, the French accent (ala Cabin Pressure).And didn't it give us too much too soon? I would gladly have waited an episode for Mycroft's and Sherlock's little reminisence and maybe yet another episode to meet the parents (even if Sherlock was lying about those people).

I was kind of expecting something a little more serious, I guess.

All that said, I can't wait to watch it again this eveining, and I'm looking forward to next week!

P.S. What do you all think about Molly's situation?

January 20, 2014 9:07 pm  #2

Re: Did they give us too much?

When it comes to the question of TEH being too self-referential, you might wanna have a look at this thread:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4069

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 20, 2014 9:12 pm  #3

Thanks.
I have been staying away from the forum for some time in fear of spoilers and was still afraid to look too far today.

January 26, 2014 7:11 pm  #4

Did anyone else think that the man who bumped into John, right before the next man stuck him in the neck with a needle, looked like Moriarity???

Last edited by MarySanDiego (January 26, 2014 7:11 pm)

January 26, 2014 7:18 pm  #5

MarySanDiego wrote:

Did anyone else think that the man who bumped into John, right before the next man stuck him in the neck with a needle, looked like Moriarity???

No.

I can't really expand on that because 'here be spoilers'

February 8, 2014 8:06 pm  #6

I do feel like every other line is a reference to something else in the series, and that's a bit much...

And there is so much about how HLV turns out that rewinds us to TRF.

February 19, 2014 1:10 pm  #7

Yeah of course. They give us too much trash.

February 19, 2014 8:41 pm  #8

5H0l3e5 wrote:

Yeah of course. They give us too much trash.

What I mean is, they cleared Sherlock's name kind of off-screen, then we've gone back to his being in serious trouble (charged with murder and this time it's REAL, and faced with being parted from John forever.) They also wrote out Tom, reviving the possibility of "Mollock."

Board footera