BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2012 3:24 am  #41

Re: Technical Help and Questions

Whoops,

You pretty much ninja'd me there Tantalus but I was just passing through and didn't check.

So yeah, what he said

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 12, 2012 3:28 am  #42

What is this ? An echo chamber now?

Thanks guys for helping each other out; we're not always here. And when we are, we wait to see if the 'other staff' answer .. hehhe. Nah not really.

Oh We're fixing the advertising twits up also.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 12, 2012 3:40 am  #43

kazza474 wrote:

Oh We're fixing the advertising twits up also.

Thanks. "Twit" is such a glorious but woefully under-used word. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 12, 2012 3:42 am  #44

Oh everyone's a twit to me; not literally but I do use it most often in mixed company.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 12, 2012 6:03 am  #45

Complete aside...Martin and Amanda's dogs are called The Twits.

Oh...and if you wait for me to give you some detailed technical help you'll........be waiting a long time. Although I could have answered the last one, which is a ,possibly, unique occurrence.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2012 6:39 am  #46

I'm still having trouble on this site---pages  scrolling up  and down jerkily....One question--  it was suggested that I get google chrome,  and then add the IE   browser   on top of that.  Or  is it the other way round?   Is  google chrome free?   

Also,  I've figured out how to do colors her e.     All you do  is put  color=yellow  in  these brackets, with no spaces.  [ ]     to  end the color where you want it to,  use the brackets again,  and put /color  in them.   

I solemly swear I am  a very good  kitty.   
  Pink Suitcase!!!        pink is still NOT  my color.     

goodnight all!!   way  past my  bedtime!!!   It's too hot to sleep!!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 14, 2012 6:41 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 14, 2012 7:12 am  #47

Davina wrote:

Complete aside...Martin and Amanda's dogs are called The Twits.

\

Yes, and they have their own twitter account too; very funny little doggies.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 7:18 am  #48

sherlockskitty wrote:

I'm still having trouble on this site---pages  scrolling up  and down jerkily....One question--  it was suggested that I get google chrome,  and then add the IE   browser   on top of that.  Or  is it the other way round?   Is  google chrome free?   

Also,  I've figured out how to do colors her e.     All you do  is put  color=yellow  in  these brackets, with no spaces.  [ ]     to  end the color where you want it to,  use the brackets again,  and put /color  in them.   

I solemly swear I am  a very good  kitty.   
  Pink Suitcase!!!        pink is still NOT  my color.     

goodnight all!!   way  past my  bedtime!!!   It's too hot to sleep!!!

You already have IE; just go to the Google site & start downloading Chrome.
When it;s done, you will be asked if you want to use it as your default browser. You don't have to immediately & can change that anytime.
(You can pop all your favourites from IE onto Chrome, you will be asked if you want to do that after setup ).

So now you have a computer with 2 operating systems & an icon to open whichever you want to use. Depending on your computer, you should be able to alternate until you decide, or just ;leave them both there. IE usually chews the most RAM in the background & that is one reason many choose Chrome.

There should be guides & tutorials explaining all you want to know about Chrome.

Now, as for posting colours, videos, links, whatever; when you see someone else's post with these things in; click "Quote" as if you were going to use their quote in a reply.
You will see exactly what codes they used to do what they did. Thats the easiest way to learn some of the tricks online.

Of course you don't have to actually reply... just pretend so that you can sticky beak & look under their skirts so to speak....

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 2:03 pm  #49

Kazza speaketh the truth ('Browser' other than 'Operating System' aside).

I thought I was being funny before hiding my text in 'just-off' forum background colour in a couple of posts of mine, now I can't hide them in plain site!

The 'Quote' to reply really is the simplest way to understand how someone does things - you might even end up being a major hacker from trying it out, cause there's no real difference in how understanding operates.

-m0r

June 14, 2012 3:59 pm  #50

thanks Kazza and M0r.   Some ppl  have PM'd me,  and they say that yellow  is  much easier to read here on this black ish background.   The quote method is a VERY  good tool  to use.   I  use it all the time,  tho  not for the reasons you two gave.  Very  funny!!! 

Ok   this board is in  BB  code.    Just type that into your search engine  and  a number of helpful sites will show up.   I  found this one   I  cannot figure out how to actually  SHOW   you  the codes  I've used here in this post--I  used to know how to do that,  but the memory  eludes me at this point.   

http://www.bbcode.org/

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 15, 2012 5:16 am  #51

Ok  I  know double posting is frowned upon.......

I  have a qq abt private messaging.    When  I  sent someone something,   I  used the codes for underlining,   which  is the letter u.     but it did not work. on there.       

does it work here?      Hmmmm--well it works on the boards...and i typed it out myself.    Hmmmmm....does it just not work on pm's?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 15, 2012 5:39 pm  #52

It should work on the private messaging system - did you make sure to close the brackets?

The forum is a bit iffy with hyphens and underscores (- + _) that may have caused a problem.

Also, qq is internet speak for moaning and complaining.

Learn something new everyday!

-m0r

June 15, 2012 8:41 pm  #53

Thanks m0r.  yes I made sure to have  no spaces or other symbols inside the brackets.  still doesn't work,  so maybe the boss could look into it,  if  she/he  could be so kind.  I did not know that about the  double q's...at all!!  Yep,  i  did learn something new today!!   thanks for your help.   I  know, exclamation points can be overused.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 15, 2012 8:42 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 17, 2012 3:49 am  #54

about private messaging....how do i send one PM  to three different ppl at the same time?   thanks

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 17, 2012 4:10 am  #55

Only way is to type it out for one; then copy & paste in the other 2.
For the title, once you have sent one, the title should be saved in the drop down list when you click on the titles bar.

So go to the USER LIST, click the first person you need, send a message, then back to the user list & pick the next etc etc.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 5:11 pm  #56

I've got a problem,  still,  and this is the ONLY  site I'm  having this problem on.    Example--Kazza's avatar  is a gif  file  of  sherlock taking his scarf off.  The problem is,  it  ONLY  WORKS   when I  right click  on  it  and then  that white pull down  box  comes on.    The   other gif files   on  here   I  have to do the same thing.   Also---  the words  when you type them  here...they are jerkily doing so.   Also  the videos  frm  YOUTUBE  won't  work very  well.   I  have just updated my java,  and flash player.   I  have NOT   done the Chrome  browser thing.  Last  nite  I  did disk cleanup  and defrag.   

Questions---

1.  why  won't  the gif files work  when I  come here,  to  play  or  to lurk?   this is the ONLY  board  I'm  having this trouble on.   Why do they  ONLY  work  when I  lright -click my  mouse? 

2.   Why  don't the videos work? 

3.   Why  is  it slow  in  typing here?   

4.   Does anyone else  have Chrome  browser?  If  so,  How does it work  when you come here? 

5.   Do  I  need to call a PC  tech  repairman to come to my house?   

Little frustrated here,  but thanks for your help.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 17, 2012 5:18 pm  #57

Do you have other browsers on your computer? If you do, you should check if you have the same problems on this site with them as well. For instance Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. I have some of those problems myself sometimes (the jerky typing thing) and it's pretty random when it happens, and random sites. Have you tried updating the drivers your graphics card? I use Mozilla Firefox, but sometimes I need to use IE to get the Youtube videos work properly in full screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 17, 2012 7:54 pm  #58

I  used to have netscape,  but I  deleted that sometime ago as I didn't like it.    so  I  only  have IE   7  or 8  I  don't know which.   And I hate to say  this,  but I didn't have problems like this till after the boss  changed the background.  So,  I  REALLY  want to get this to work right,

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 18, 2012 1:31 am  #59

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  used to have netscape,  but I  deleted that sometime ago as I didn't like it.    so  I  only  have IE   7  or 8  I  don't know which.   And I hate to say  this,  but I didn't have problems like this till after the boss  changed the background.  So,  I  REALLY  want to get this to work right,

IE9 is available, you should upgrade to that.
Many of these kinds of problems will stem from the fact that you are using an outdated browser.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 4:10 am  #60

I just updated to IE8.  I  have win xp,  and IE9  won't work with that.   BUT  your  gif files seem to be working  better!!   also  got updated for flash player   to 11.3.    Thanks for all your help  everyone!!   and the scrolling and the writing seems to be better too.   Anyone want some quavers?  I  got loads.   I  took them  out of sherlock's pockets.   hey,  his pockets are bigger on the inside,  didn't you know that?   

Oh  nuts!!   I  did all of that,  but  kazza,  all  OF THE GIF FILES THAST are looping,  don't work  unless I  right click on them,  and that pull down  menu  comes up.  then i close that,  andthe gif files  stop working.   Oh  boo hoo!!!   HELP?

edited again late at nite--   weird.    the gif files work  when I first come in here,  then AFTER  i start posting,  they stop looping altogether and wont work again unless i refresh  my  page or when i right click.   I   do  not know what else I can do.   I'm  calling my  PC  guy,    Sorry   you lot,  but thanks for trying to help me.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 18, 2012 6:41 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera