BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2014 7:38 am  #261

Re: Sherlock's love for John

mrshouse wrote:

Quiet so, and that is what i love martin's acting for!

Couldn't agree more! His ability to subtly yet still palpably convey every single emotion is something very rare!

January 23, 2014 7:40 am  #262

SolarSystem wrote:

I'd like to come back to that last scene at the airport, because I have to agree with several others here: I never thought that John was being cold towards Sherlock. To me his reaction made total sense, especially when I think back to the train scene in TEH in which John clearly states that he's not good at this kind of stuff - meaning, he's not good at talking about emotions.
Of course there is always something between 'talking too much' and 'saying nothing at all', and I feel that what they gave us with this scene is something that fits right into the middle of those two. You can talk emotions to death, and far too many tv shows do exactly that on a regular basis. So I was hugely relieved that they didn't got for that here. Small gestures, eye contact or the avoidance thereof and not too much talking... perfect. Sherlock and John are standing there together, but I can already feel the loneliness that both of them are bound to feel because of this goodbye. 

You perfectly summed up my exact thoughts here!

January 23, 2014 7:55 am  #263

mrshouse wrote:

Quiet so, and that is what i love martin's acting for!

I was suprised about his acting skills. To be honest I haven't seen much of him before. Just a few episodes of "The Office", "Love actually" and "Hobbit". Even as the Hobbit I think he hadn't to show this much emotions.
But as he did in "Sherlock" and especially in S3... sooo impressive... a strong competitor to Benedict who is the champion of that for me of all actors I have in my mind at the moment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2014 8:10 am  #264

I am wondering whether some - no, not doubts, this is too strong a word - but hesitations about John's reactions and feelings in s3, especially HLV stem from the script or from MF perfomance. Evidentely there must be something slightly disturbing and I wouldn't put it on simple not being able to observe and understand a subtle performance: not on this board, at least, where the people are not casual viewers and tend to watch and re-watch episodes, analysing them in depth. One thing I noticed, for example, in the scene at the beginning of the episode, when they are leaving drug den and Sherlock is shouting, is that MF is actually smiling! (Well, it is true that Benedict is hilarious as an enraged junkie!). This is the first time in the whole series I noticed MF acting out of character.

January 23, 2014 8:16 am  #265

miriel68 wrote:

I am wondering whether some - no, not doubts, this is too strong a word - but hesitations about John's reactions and feelings in s3, especially HLV stem from the script or from MF perfomance. Evidentely there must be something slightly disturbing and I wouldn't put it on simple not being able to observe and understand a subtle performance: not on this board, at least, where the people are not casual viewers and tend to watch and re-watch episodes, analysing them in depth. One thing I noticed, for example, in the scene at the beginning of the episode, when they are leaving drug den and Sherlock is shouting, is that MF is actually smiling! (Well, it is true that Benedict is hilarious as an enraged junkie!). This is the first time in the whole series I noticed MF acting out of character.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by MF being out of character in this particular scene. MF smiles a lot.
I think that script and perfomance meet somewhere in the middle. Could also imagine that MF is happy about showing more facades of john's appearance. Read somewhere in an interview, that he enjoys the scenes on his own pretty much.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 23, 2014 8:18 am  #266

I read that Martin had to smile at Benedict's performance but they used the scene because Benedict was so good in that take. Therefore I suppose we see Martin smiling, not John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 23, 2014 8:23 am  #267

John also smiled in that scene when CAM showed them his "vaults". IMO these smiles are more a sign of disbelief. They aren't happy, are they? And this... is connected to the role and situation.
Possible explanation?

Last edited by gently69 (January 23, 2014 8:25 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2014 8:55 am  #268

SusiGo wrote:

I read that Martin had to smile at Benedict's performance but they used the scene because Benedict was so good in that take. Therefore I suppose we see Martin smiling, not John. 

Oh, was it so? Can you tell where did you read it? Benedict is fantastic in this scene and I can well see why they decided to keep it, in spite of Martin's "loosing" it: after all, it takes an obsessed fan and multiple viewings (I noticed it may be at my 4th time) to notice it. As for MF smiling at Magnussen's home, it is quite different and totally IN character: while Sherlock understands immediately the implication of the "mind palace", Watson is in the first moment disbelieving and thinks Magnussen is only pretending.

January 23, 2014 9:06 am  #269

I have to watch the drug den scene again. Can't remember Martin smiling.

(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2014 9:15 am  #270

Yes, same here. Must watch it again.
And this happens ALL THE TIME. And hubby still wonders why I watch the episodes so often. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 23, 2014 9:25 am  #271

The last time I watched it was yesterday. But at the same time I wrote some PMs... because I thought I know HLV ... good enough to have noticed everything already. Ha ha, WRONG!

(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2014 12:45 pm  #272

Maybe MF messed up a take and everybody missed it. Or maybe John was just incredibly happy to see his friend and have some action and had to smile even when he was also angry and needed to be stern with Sherlock. Have to watch again, I totally missed it. 

January 23, 2014 4:00 pm  #273

miriel68 wrote:

Taking into consideration that they usually film several takes of every scene and MF never plays his part exactly the same in each take (because that would be too boring), I'm rather confident that what we see from John in this last scene at the airport is what the writers wanted him to be like. By the way, Sherlock seemed rather cold in that graveyard at the end of TRF, after seeing a broken John at his grave. Did anyone question Ben's acting there? I don't think so . . .

Last edited by LightPurple (January 23, 2014 4:01 pm)

January 23, 2014 4:14 pm  #274

Ben looked really close to tears there. Very realistic acting IMHO. 

January 23, 2014 4:27 pm  #275

He looked very serious. No sign of tears. (We talking about the end of TRF?) Near to tears he showed convincing in HLV.

(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2014 4:41 pm  #276

I thought he looked really sad at the graveyard, not close to tears though. That was still season2 sherlock. But it worked for me, especially with this a bit russian Version of sherlock music theme...💔

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 23, 2014 11:32 pm  #277

silverblaze wrote:

Ben looked really close to tears there. Very realistic acting IMHO.

gently69 wrote:

He looked very serious. No sign of tears. (We talking about the end of TRF?) Near to tears he showed convincing in HLV.

mrshouse wrote:

I thought he looked really sad at the graveyard, not close to tears though

Thank you, you just proved the point I was trying to make: Some people think Sherlock looked close to tears there, some think he looked really sad but definitly not close to tears, some think he looked serious and some think he looked cold (I don't, I was just kind of playing devil's advocate there for a bit) or at least not moved enough after seeing John's grief. His expression can be interpreted differently, but no one ever thought of questioning BC's acting there (and to say it again, neither do I). 

So John's expressions and behaviour at the airport in HLV can be interpreted defferently by people as well, but why do they start to question MF's acting there? There's absolutely no reason to belive that he didn't perfectly deliver what the writers wanted in that scene, and I think the people who think that John acted coldly base this at least as much on his refusal to call his daughter "Sherlock" (something MF can definitly not be blamed for) as on anything else in that scene. 

Last edited by LightPurple (January 23, 2014 11:34 pm)

January 24, 2014 12:10 am  #278

LightPurple wrote:

There's absolutely no reason to belive that he didn't perfectly deliver what the writers wanted in that scene, and I think the people who think that John acted coldly base this at least as much on his refusal to call his daughter "Sherlock" (something MF can definitly not be blamed for) as on anything else in that scene. 

I never thought he acted "coldly". It's hard to put my finger on it, but to me it felt more like he hadn't totally grasped the implications of this farewell with Sherlock.  It was almost like he didn't hear Sherlock when he said they would likely never meet again. Part of me thinks that while he is still very fond of Sherlock, his wife and baby are now his primary focus.   Another part thinks he might be inured to statements like this because Sherlock and his brother always seem to pull off miracles.  And the plane turning around after only 4 minutes proves him right.

I liked the 'guy' humor in the scene - wouldn't trade that - but I guess I wanted just a bit more on the other end of the scale too. Nothing big and pathetic - just the tiniest bit more to show me that John fully understood the gravity of the situation. Oh well, not really complaining. It's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. Then there's the fact that I'm probably projecting myself into the scene and thinking how I'd react if my best friend had just sacrificed his entire future for me and my family; and then, while saying good-bye at the airport, just happened to mention that I'd never see him again. It wouldn't be a handshake, I can tell you that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 24, 2014 1:13 am  #279

KeepersPrice wrote:

LightPurple wrote:

There's absolutely no reason to belive that he didn't perfectly deliver what the writers wanted in that scene, and I think the people who think that John acted coldly base this at least as much on his refusal to call his daughter "Sherlock" (something MF can definitly not be blamed for) as on anything else in that scene. 

I never thought he acted "coldly". It's hard to put my finger on it, but to me it felt more like he hadn't totally grasped the implications of this farewell with Sherlock.  It was almost like he didn't hear Sherlock when he said they would likely never meet again. Part of me thinks that while he is still very fond of Sherlock, his wife and baby are now his primary focus.   Another part thinks he might be inured to statements like this because Sherlock and his brother always seem to pull off miracles.  And the plane turning around after only 4 minutes proves him right.

I liked the 'guy' humor in the scene - wouldn't trade that - but I guess I wanted just a bit more on the other end of the scale too. Nothing big and pathetic - just the tiniest bit more to show me that John fully understood the gravity of the situation. Oh well, not really complaining. It's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. Then there's the fact that I'm probably projecting myself into the scene and thinking how I'd react if my best friend had just sacrificed his entire future for me and my family; and then, while saying good-bye at the airport, just happened to mention that I'd never see him again. It wouldn't be a handshake, I can tell you that.

You have expressed this beautifully; I have tried to do the same but certainly never managed to refine it as well as you have done.

I would add only one thing; for me there was a hint that John just didn't want to know, which probably freaked some people out, including me. I appreciate there's all that psychological stuff about being in denial, which could well apply, but still I feel there is a debt of honour between him and Sherlock which John didn't quite discharge. And the concept of a debt of honour, for those not hugely enthralled by the topic, may seem out of date by comparison with ACD, who took it very seriously, but it is still a meaningful concept.

So, thanks for your post...

January 24, 2014 6:47 am  #280

I still wonder one of a few things:
1.  John was just glad Sherlock was alive and 'free'.
2. He couldn't face the truth.
3. Mark and Steven decided one hug in 3 series is our quota!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera