BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 10:18 am  #101

Re: Sherlock's love for John

I agree with all of this. But subtext or not, there are some things that are deliberately put in the script, deliberately, and which the actors are asked to play - I will NEVER EVER forget the scene in ASIB where J and S are sitting at the table having breakfast and John asks him about the text alert.

I am not implying what he says or the way he says it denotes jealousy - I am SURE of it.

Imagine yourself and your best friend in their positions. Would you EVER have that conversation with your best friend, if you are not jealous? Would you ever say, 'I'm not stupid, you know?' Why would you care so much that your best friend has a thing with someone else? Why would your best friend not just answer you, but rather hide themselves behind the newspaper?

This wasn't necessary. A normal friend would have teased the other, not gotten annoyed. Annoyed for what exactly? Because he isn't telling him? There's nothing to tell after all, and she is doing everything - Sherlock could have just told him that.

And don't even get me started on the scene where Irene is about to kiss Sherlock on the cheek, and the camera cuts to John, slamming his cup on the table in slow motion. Why the heck would he have to do that?

this is not subtext, this was put there deliberately to show jealousy. Even Irene sees that.

January 15, 2014 10:23 am  #102

It's a (non-sexual, at least so far) love story, after all. It'll always be that for me and I think the intention is clear. Moftiss also said so several times. That's what gives me the most faith for season 4.   Everything will be alright  because it's intended to be a love story between these two men.

January 15, 2014 3:47 pm  #103

Hera wrote:

It's a (non-sexual, at least so far) love story, after all. It'll always be that for me and I think the intention is clear. Moftiss also said so several times. That's what gives me the most faith for season 4.   Everything will be alright  because it's intended to be a love story between these two men.

Hope so!!
Did Moffat really say this?

January 15, 2014 4:20 pm  #104

You people draw such sharp lines between love and friendship. 

January 15, 2014 4:23 pm  #105

silverblaze wrote:

You people draw such sharp lines between love and friendship. 

Agree! There are not words for everything!

The Game is On!

January 15, 2014 4:40 pm  #106

atlantiana wrote:

Hera wrote:

Hope so!!
Did Moffat really say this?

yes he did.

Right here

Quoted here for you, his words are:

'It’s always definitely a love story.'

He also says: "I don’t see why that means that sex has to be involved. What a weirdly sexualized world we live in where you insist they much be having sex as well. Why would they? John isn’t wired that way, whatever Sherlock is."

this sums up how I see it, too.

Last edited by Ozma (January 15, 2014 4:41 pm)

January 15, 2014 4:44 pm  #107

^ Which means John is straight and Sherlock might be straight, gay, asexual, bisexual, not-interested, whatever. They love each other deeply, it's just not romantic or sexual.

January 15, 2014 4:47 pm  #108

... not yet at least. If you want to know why I think so although John is straight: http://aspennielle.tumblr.com/post/73386469655/the-best-and-most-romantic-way-of-describing

The Game is On!

January 15, 2014 4:53 pm  #109

they keep all their options open. Which doesn't necessarily mean they will have sex (I don't think they should, that's not what the show is about anyway), but they might just decide to spend the rest of their life together as companions, because it just works well and they make each other happy.

Again, I am NOT saying that this is Mofftiss' intention in any way. I am just saying that they can do whatever they want.

January 15, 2014 5:06 pm  #110

The scene where they confronted Mary...was very intense...where John and Sherlock stare at each other and John says  desperately. ?.."She wasn't supposed to be......' I thought he was going to say you!
Thoughts anyone...?

Also the love /bromance was blazingly obvious on Sherlocks side this series....but I thought lacking on Johns part throughout. He seems so reserved...idk especially after everything Sherlock has done for him.
The tarmac scene Sherlock was beautiful but John just seemed awkward.

Hope the relationship evens out more next series because I feel a little let down by John.

Last edited by lil (January 15, 2014 5:07 pm)

January 15, 2014 5:10 pm  #111

tobeornot221b wrote:

I like your comparison of Sherlock being like a half empty flat.
Nicely put!

Agreed! =)

January 15, 2014 5:12 pm  #112

Marva wrote:

... not yet at least. If you want to know why I think so although John is straight: http://aspennielle.tumblr.com/post/73386469655/the-best-and-most-romantic-way-of-describing

Loved this link....TY.
I think to have everyone thinking / talking like this is the writers /endgame...

January 15, 2014 5:31 pm  #113

lil wrote:

The scene where they confronted Mary...was very intense...where John and Sherlock stare at each other and John says desperately. ?.."She wasn't supposed to be......' I thought he was going to say you!
Thoughts anyone...?

I think that’s what he/the writers meant.

As in, after you left and hurt me, I looked for someone who wasn’t like you [to not risk being hurt again].
As in, John ultimately saw Sherlock as a life partner. In whichever way that could be.

January 15, 2014 5:55 pm  #114

Ozma wrote:

lil wrote:

The scene where they confronted Mary...was very intense...where John and Sherlock stare at each other and John says desperately. ?.."She wasn't supposed to be......' I thought he was going to say you!
Thoughts anyone...?

As in, after you left and hurt me, I looked for someone who wasn’t like you [to not risk being hurt again].
As in, John ultimately saw Sherlock as a life partner. In whichever way that could be.

Awwwwwww! Yes. I think you are right. 

January 15, 2014 6:01 pm  #115

lil wrote:

Thoughts anyone...?

I felt like it, too.
It kept ringing in my head... what he really wanted to say... idk, something like: " she wasn't supposed to be *replacing* you...
I've just watched it again, and was probably wearing my Jonlock goggles, so...

January 15, 2014 6:03 pm  #116

Ozma wrote:

lil wrote:

Thoughts anyone...?

Yes, that's what I meant,

January 15, 2014 6:10 pm  #117

Loved both links. And I totally agree with the Moff too. Here's another quote from that article that's just what we discussed.

AR: "Maybe our identity categories and relationship categories aren’t really sufficient to describe human nature?"

SM: "I was pondering when I wrote that, why is sex so important? And has it always been this important to ever previous era of humanity? I bet it isn’t. I think we’re obsessed with it, to the point where I know a lot of people are saying ‘Well, John and Sherlock clearly love each other, they must be having sex.’ But you can love someone without fancying them. If your’e not wired to fancy someone, you just won’t. But what’s that got to do with it? Really, what’s that got to do with the important relationships? We know that love grows, sex sort of wanes. Older people, you don’t have sex as much later on as you do at the beginning. We know it’s the lesser thing. I always say, you have love stories and sex scenes. That’s the difference in stature in our lives."

January 15, 2014 6:13 pm  #118

Clever man and he's right, of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2014 6:15 pm  #119

Lilly83 wrote:

Ozma wrote:

lil wrote:

Thoughts anyone...?

Yes, that's what I meant,

Yes...I am glad it wasn't just me...it was quite a moment., TY for answers.

Gave me a callback to opening TRF and Ella..what is it you can't say...
Is it ..  I love Sherlock?
I don't think he has actually even said it yet has he? That will be a moment to wait for I am sure...

January 15, 2014 6:18 pm  #120

he said he loved him when he asked him to be his best man.

The Game is On!

Board footera