BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2012 10:54 am  #1

Emmy Awards

The Emmy nominations this year will be announced on July 19th & presented in September.

Here's an article on what's possible for nominations:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/televisionawards/emmys/story/2012-06-13/emmy-ballot/55587248/1

Excerpt of our 'chosen categories':

Movie or miniseries: Sherlock (PBS); Game Change (HBO); Hatfields & McCoys (History); American Horror Story (FX); Hemingway & Gellhorn (HBO); Luther (BBC America)

Here's a truth that applies across the movie and miniseries categories. Outside of Hatfields & McCoys, viewers won't care, because that's the only one sizable numbers of them saw. And outside of Sherlock, Luther and Game Change, I don't much care, either. Anyone and anything else is pretty much just filling the spaces.

Movie/miniseries actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock (PBS); Idris Elba, Luther (BBC America); Woody Harrelson, Game Change (HBO); Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys (History); Alan Rickman, The Song of Lunch (PBS)

When the time comes to give the Emmy out, I'll have my fingers crossed for Cumberbatch. But when the nominations are announced, I'll also be rooting for Rickman to slip in for a lovely performance in PBS' strange, generally ignored Song of Lunch.

Movie/miniseries, supporting actor: Ed Harris, Game Change (HBO); Martin Freeman, Sherlock (PBS); Denis O'Hare, American Horror Story (FX); Paul Blackthorne, The River (ABC)

Harris will be nominated; Freeman had better be. Beyond that, you're on your own.

Movie/miniseries, supporting actress: Jessica Lange, American Horror Story (FX); Sarah Paulson, Game Change (HBO); Gillian Anderson, Great Expectations (PBS); Frances Conroy, American Horror Story; Lara Pulver, Sherlock (PBS)

From what I can tell, the official Emmy ballot doesn't include Sherlock's Mrs. Hudson, Una "Not Your Housekeeper" Stubbs. More's the pity.

hmm

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 11:01 am  #2

Re: Emmy Awards

I've seen Game Change , Hatfields and McCoys, The River and American Horror Story and none are close to being on par with Sherlock. If Sherlock and Ben do not win, it is a travesty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 14, 2012 11:08 am  #3

Luther is rather brilliant actually.
Much 'darker' than Sherlock so not as popular with the younger viewers.

But then it's not up to the fans to vote thank heavens.
I love industry based awards; much better acknowledgement than 'who can get the most fans to vote/go broke voting/spread as much stuff online in desperate attempts/ etc etc etc' .

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 1, 2012 4:53 pm  #4

According to the deadline.com article, Masterpiece chose to submit A Scandal in Belgravia for Series 2.  Why not The Reichenbach Fall?  Too intense for the average viewer?  Don't get me wrong, I love aSiB, but I don't think it holds a candle to TRF.  I certainly hope that they submit Martin's work from TRF for his nomination.

Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 1, 2012 5:13 pm  #5

Well Scandal did have the highest number of viewers, didn't it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 7:03 pm  #6

It did and perhaps it is more a stand-alone piece. It has everything, including American involvement...remember Mrs. Hudson's bins.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 7:16 pm  #7

Fetchinketch wrote:

According to the deadline.com article, Masterpiece chose to submit A Scandal in Belgravia for Series 2.  Why not The Reichenbach Fall?  Too intense for the average viewer?  Don't get me wrong, I love aSiB, but I don't think it holds a candle to TRF.  I certainly hope that they submit Martin's work from TRF for his nomination.

Any thoughts?

I respectfully disagree. Reichenbach is more dramatic but Sherlock Holmes spends much of Reichenbach being a reactive victim to all the false claims and Moriarty's shenanigans happening around him. Reichenbach is the Jim Moriarty show pure and simple.  SiB in my opinion is a far better battle of two evenly matched iconic adversaries and has an added romantic element to it. I know the canonites detest the romantic angle but it added a lot to the drama and conflict.

July 1, 2012 10:48 pm  #8

Molly Hooper wrote:

Yes, but I think the "battle dress" had a lot to do with this

I would also have submitted TRF, for me it is a better episode, but they did the same for the BAFTAs, didn't they? Anyway, if they submit TRF for actors work, Martin will have again a strong competence in Mr Scott (how awesome is he... )

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 2, 2012 1:21 am  #9

Irene Adler wrote:

Molly Hooper wrote:

I would also have submitted TRF, for me it is a better episode, but they did the same for the BAFTAs, didn't they? Anyway, if they submit TRF for actors work, Martin will have again a strong competence in Mr Scott (how awesome is he... )

Since I am an unabashed Lara fanatic you bring up a point that we here all realize but i am fearing the masses may not. Her acting in that episode was beyond superb. I am hoping she will not just be remembered for the sensationalism of that one scene because to me it gets mentioned to death over all the rest of what she did which in my view was even better than that scene. In some ways I think it is a very sexist commentary on her performance especially since what you actually see amounts to the same thing we saw with Sherlock when he was mostly defrocked of bedsheet in the palace.

July 2, 2012 2:15 am  #10

While TRF is a big hit fanwise, the technical brilliance of series 2 would have to be Scandal. We are talking of slow mo action, the beauty of the scenes by the stream, the precise camera work and editing when dealing with deduction scenes . There aren't too many deduction scenes in TRF when you think back.
The actors in Scandal are working hard at projecting personalities and depth to their characters. By the time we get to TRF the character building is largely done, and it is simply storytelling.
I understood why Moftiss chose to nominate Scandal for the Baftas, and again for its sheer beauty rather than fan-pleasing action &suspense , I wholeheartedly agree that it is the quality item of their series 2 collection.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 2, 2012 7:37 am  #11

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

Molly Hooper wrote:

Since I am an unabashed Lara fanatic you bring up a point that we here all realize but i am fearing the masses may not. Her acting in that episode was beyond superb. I am hoping she will not just be remembered for the sensationalism of that one scene because to me it gets mentioned to death over all the rest of what she did which in my view was even better than that scene. In some ways I think it is a very sexist commentary on her performance especially since what you actually see amounts to the same thing we saw with Sherlock when he was mostly defrocked of bedsheet in the palace.

Yes, I know what you mena. I am not Miss Pulver's biggest fan, but she did a pretty good job in Scandal. But I really think part of the success ASiB had was due to the "battle dress" (sadly, I must say, because it really is a great episode). Anyway, it is hard to choose between three true jewels

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 2, 2012 7:54 am  #12

I support the choice of ASiB because it is absolutely perfect: timing, dialogue, acting, visual effects, simply everything. And I think that its many comic elements ("And exactly how many times did he fall out of the window?") may have a stronger appeal for the jury (is there a jury, don't know how this works) than the darker tones of TRF we all appreciate so much. Just think of the Buckingham Palace scene which alone would deserve an award. There are so many wonderful things in this episode and we all wish for them to get an Emmy, don't we? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 19, 2012 2:20 pm  #13

Hurray, both our boys have been nominated for Emmys, Ben for Lead Actor in a Miniseries, Martin for Supporting Actor in a Miniseries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are other nominations for Sherlock, but these, quite frankly, are the ones I care about!
Ben, on his birthday, couldn't be better.
I'm (mentally) running around my bedroom screaming at the top of my lungs 

http://www.emmys.com/shows/sherlock-scandal-belgravia-masterpiece

Last edited by hepzibah (July 19, 2012 2:23 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 19, 2012 2:42 pm  #14

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah  So many nominations. Go, boys!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 19, 2012 3:04 pm  #15

What a wonderful number of nominations! It goes to show what a wonderful team there is working on this production. Very pleased also for Paul McGuigan, David G. Arnold, Michael Price etc. The series would not be as fantastic as it is without the input, expertise, hard-work, talent and dedication of all those who work on it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 19, 2012 3:05 pm  #16

hepzibah wrote:

Hurray, both our boys have been nominated for Emmys, Ben for Lead Actor in a Miniseries, Martin for Supporting Actor in a Miniseries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are other nominations for Sherlock, but these, quite frankly, are the ones I care about!

I know what you mean, but I just want to say I'm terribly happy Paul MacGuigan is nominated too. It was about time, don't you think?
And also Arnold and Price. That amazing music needs some awards too

And of course, I miss dear Andrew, but at least Martin got a nomination

July 19, 2012 4:42 pm  #17

I am so happy for them! Congratulations! Work of that caliber has to be celebrated))))
I love it that the nominations acknowledge things that make the show great: Acting, writing, directing, cinematography. You go, "Sherlock" team.

Last edited by deerstalker (July 19, 2012 4:47 pm)

July 19, 2012 4:42 pm  #18

http://www.emmys.com/nominations/2012/Outstanding%20Miniseries%20or%20Movie

Nominated for basically all miniseries catergories except hairstyling and makeup. Stopped counting the nominations at about 10 or so. 

July 19, 2012 5:20 pm  #19

Ohh  YAY!!!    they got the three  impotant noms  for the emmys (Actor, Supporting Actor,  and mini series)  which air  sept 23rd 2012--the wait will be almost as bad as waiting for sherlock series 3.   And steven moffat had better win for the writing,    Because I  REALLY  don't want to eat  Sherlock's deerstalker hat.   I  will be watching the emmys this year--I  hope Our boys are there,  at the ceremony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 19, 2012 5:42 pm  #20

WOO-HOOOO!

Yeah I think it's 10 nominations (?).
SOOO proud!
The Emmys! That's like the Oscars but for television!
Also especially proud for Benedict and Martin of course! And that on Benedict's birthday! Brilliant!

What do you think are our chances? I mean, of course, we all know how great our Sherlock is but I don't know the other shows and I don't know how it's handled at the Emmys.

Board footera