BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2014 7:25 pm  #41

Re: So... I've Got a Theory

I think sherlock knows something about mary that we don't know yet, because he stopped reading the messages as soon as he read that CAM message.

that is a damn fine point

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 6, 2014 7:44 pm  #42

guys, let's think about this for a moment.

Everybody is saying how nice and sweet and lovely and cute Mary is, right? Well, imagine nothing at all happens, and the story continues exactly how it is. She isn't complex enough, as she is, to justify being in the story - I could see a character like this being added to a mediocre story, a romcom perhaps, but NOT Sherlock. Not a series which is so brilliantly written.

I know people are saying we all expect her to die so Moftiss wouldn't do that, but if you think about it, they do  indeed have the majority of us right where they want us (I still don't like her, I thought she was nice but plain, and to be honest now I have seen the pain she has caused Sherlock - even though it's not her fault, but it's what I was scared of. And it's happened - he is alone, and we've all seen that, even he has seen it). The fans like her, and Moftiss are going to flip EVERYTHING around in the last episode.
Think about it - we *have* seeen clues. They have peppered the whole first 2 episodes with them. Subtle, but they are there.

And once again, that baby is NOT going to happen. Maybe doesn't exist to begin with, maybe it's not John's, maybe it will die; but it's NOT going to happen.

January 6, 2014 9:29 pm  #43

It's only the obviousness that makes me suspicious. Because it would be a logical storyline. And I agree that there are signs, the baby is not gonna happen. I'm just hoping that the entire fandom has not already guessed the plot of the last episode. But I agree, it's so obvious it almost has to happen. 

I don't agree that it's gonna be because she's plain, Moftiss are perfectly able to flesh out initially simple characters and make them more interesting, see every other side character: Molly, Lestrade, Mycroft... even Anderson. 

Maybe she dies and something else happens, something more important. Dying isn't much of a cliffhanger in general (except in Reichenbach then, but then he isn't really dead). But what could happen? 

January 6, 2014 9:53 pm  #44

silverblaze wrote:

It's only the obviousness that makes me suspicious. Because it would be a logical storyline. And I agree that there are signs, the baby is not gonna happen. I'm just hoping that the entire fandom has not already guessed the plot of the last episode. But I agree, it's so obvious it almost has to happen. 

I don't agree that it's gonna be because she's plain, Moftiss are perfectly able to flesh out initially simple characters and make them more interesting, see every other side character: Molly, Lestrade, Mycroft... even Anderson. 

Maybe she dies and something else happens, something more important. Dying isn't much of a cliffhanger in general (except in Reichenbach then, but then he isn't really dead). But what could happen? 

That's what I've been wondering, I'm almost sure she is going to die...but I have feeling that something else is going to happen...and yeah, what could it be? *imagines all the worst case scenarios* 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 6, 2014 9:55 pm  #45

I think we all are and that's the problem!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2014 10:05 pm  #46

Think I'll go ahead and make myself a reservatuin at the psych ward for next Monday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 6, 2014 10:13 pm  #47

An other ( but kinda unlikely idea) what if nobody dies and Moffats way of torturing us is the time we spent making ourselves anxious who might die in what way. I mean we are so sure that some one MUST die at the end of this series and that it will be someone we like that we're driving ourselves crazy about that...maybe he'll wait untill the possible 4th series to kill Mary and or the baby off...at one point where we would never expect it

Last edited by Mali (January 6, 2014 10:15 pm)

John Watson: "He’s clueing for looks"

January 6, 2014 10:52 pm  #48

silverblaze wrote:

I didn't mean she's going to die because she's plain...rather, that it's weird that she is SO plain. There must be a huge other side to her - which coincidentally brings us back to what you said.
All the people who like her have been lulled into a false sense of safety....

January 6, 2014 10:53 pm  #49

Mali wrote:

An other ( but kinda unlikely idea) what if nobody dies and Moffats way of torturing us is the time we spent making ourselves anxious who might die in what way. I mean we are so sure that some one MUST die at the end of this series and that it will be someone we like that we're driving ourselves crazy about that...maybe he'll wait untill the possible 4th series to kill Mary and or the baby off...at one point where we would never expect it

Someone WILL die...either before the cliffhanger, or as a cliffhanger, or after....but somebody will..

January 6, 2014 11:29 pm  #50

Okay, here's a very wild and out-there idea:

Of course, something is going to happen to Mary.  It's canon. 

BUT...  She doesn't die!  At least, not physically.  What if...there's some kind of accident and Mary falls into some sort of vegetative state or a coma from which she can't be aroused?  Maybe she's about to give birth but something goes horribly wrong and the baby dies and she...well, something awful happens to her.  Or maybe they're all just walking down a street and a vehicle plows into them and Mary and the baby are the ones who suffer irreversible injury.  Now Mary is no longer the person she was, the person John married, a person Sherlock actually likes.  She's not dead, but she's not really alive, either. 

And the vow Sherlock makes is to find a way to cure or revive Mary.  All this could happen off-screen or in the very beginning of the episode, and the remainder of the time is spent with Sherlock using his scientific knowledge, supplemented by John and his medical knowledge, to find a way to bring Mary back from the abyss.  And bring John back from the abyss, too, since obviously he would have an extremely difficult time coping.

And Sherlock would have to become even more human as he tries to find ways to comfort his friend and not let on that he might be secretly pleased that Mary is no longer in the picture and if he doesn't try real hard, he could have John back all to himself and not be as lonely anymore.  Lots of moral dilemmas could be explored in this scenario, with religion and politics and ethics brought into the episode.

Not saying I believe this is what's gonna happen, but I think it'd be real interesting if it did! 

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (January 6, 2014 11:48 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 6, 2014 11:40 pm  #51

My thoughts, for what they are worth. Sherlock's diagnosis of Mary is wrong (maybe he knows it isn't correct when he announces it or perhaps he only realises it is wrong following Mary's reaction). Her symptoms could easily be of some other medical condition. In canon she dies. She is not killed. She dies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 7, 2014 12:26 am  #52

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Now Mary is no longer the person she was, the person John married, a person Sherlock actually likes.  She's not dead, but she's not really alive, either. 

Oh god....that would be the worst scenario

John Watson: "He’s clueing for looks"

January 7, 2014 1:04 am  #53

Just a thought which crossed my mind....Mycroft asks if Sherlock remembers Redbeard, as though he is recalling someone they knew...Could Redbeard be a code name for CAM? He might have had red hair as a younger man before CAM aged and his hair turned grey.

January 7, 2014 6:35 am  #54

Is there not  a pirate Red Beard?
I was asking my hubby if he knew the legend of him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2014 10:01 am  #55

Red Beard is a famous pirate indeed. Since Sherlock's original career choice, which became derailed for unknown reasons, was the honorable profession of piratery, we can assume, that Red Beard was one of his childhood idols.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 7, 2014 10:01 am)

January 7, 2014 10:36 am  #56

I think Rebdeard is someone or something that Sherlock had in his childhood and lost due to a mistake on his part - perhaps because he was too involved. So history is repeating itself.

January 7, 2014 10:52 am  #57

RedBeard is also a Lego mini figure. So, maybe Mycroft didn't nick Sherlock's smurfs or action man, but something terrible happened to that mini figure. That can be VERY traumatic, lol! I remember, when my son's Batman fell into a lake (this darn Batman could fly, had a Bat Mobile, but swim he could not), I had to invent stories for days on end, how Batman got a warm welcome by the beautiful ladies of the lake

January 7, 2014 11:21 am  #58

Yeah, I just posted on the redbeard thread. Barba Rossa was a pirate in the Midterranian.

Board footera