BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2012 10:23 pm  #21

Re: Languages

Non, Sammy, ce n'était pas mauvais du tout ! Tout ce qui manque est une virgule, alors c'est parfait : ). Pourquoi lorsque nous écrivons dans une autre langue nous supposons immédiatement que c'est mauvais ? En fait, vous devriez voir comment les gens de mes classes de français écrivent, ça c'est vraiment affreux ! Ce qui fait peur c'est 72 fautes en 200 mots -_-. Ça, je n'ai jamais compris, surtout au niveau collégial...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 11, 2012 12:25 pm  #22

@Sammy: Da stimme ich dir voll und ganz zu. Und die Deutschen sind ja leider auch nicht so Sherlocked wie die Briten .

Je suis très heureuse d'avoir trouvé ce forum. Qui sait si "Sherlock" était un succès chez nos voisins français? Je pense qu'il est difficile de traduire ce style laconique qui est tellement important pour Sherlock.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 11, 2012 4:06 pm  #23

Looks like the universal translator has gone out again...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 11, 2012 4:33 pm  #24

Sorry to be such a pain but could you please explain that joke to me!
(Sorry about this, I'm kinda good at messing up conversation!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 11, 2012 4:43 pm  #25

In Star Trek (and no, I'm not a Trekkie...), everyone just "magically" spoke English, even though they might be aliens from an unknown part of the galaxy. To explain this, the writers said there was a universal translator that automatically translated what all aliens were saying into English. The most amazing part of it was that it also changed the aliens' lip movements to match English words. 

So...when I came to this thread and couldn't read anything, I made a joke. And it failed. Again...

June 11, 2012 5:04 pm  #26

Oh, that's funny! You didn't fail, I did (I should be up to date with films and stuff!)
Just use GT!! 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 11, 2012 7:15 pm  #27

Tantalus wrote:

In Star Trek (and no, I'm not a Trekkie...), everyone just "magically" spoke English, even though they might be aliens from an unknown part of the galaxy. To explain this, the writers said there was a universal translator that automatically translated what all aliens were saying into English. The most amazing part of it was that it also changed the aliens' lip movements to match English words. 

So...when I came to this thread and couldn't read anything, I made a joke. And it failed. Again...

Oh... that's exactly what the Tardis does 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 11, 2012 9:42 pm  #28

Any one speak Glingon? I did see Sheldon try to use it whilst marrying two friends in Big Bang Theory.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 12, 2012 2:53 am  #29

Davina wrote:

I did see Sheldon try to use it whilst marrying two friends in Big Bang Theory.

Not to be confused with Seldon, the escaped convict in "The Hound of the Baskervilles" or the backseat lover in "The Hounds of Baskerville".

June 12, 2012 3:31 am  #30

I speak Orkan fluently.

Na-No, Na-No

aww, shazbot!

For Molly's sake - this is an old person's joke)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 7:36 pm  #31

Milkomeda wrote:

Non, Sammy, ce n'était pas mauvais du tout ! Tout ce qui manque est une virgule, alors c'est parfait : ). Pourquoi lorsque nous écrivons dans une autre langue nous supposons immédiatement que c'est mauvais ? En fait, vous devriez voir comment les gens de mes classes de français écrivent, ça c'est vraiment affreux ! Ce qui fait peur c'est 72 fautes en 200 mots -_-. Ça, je n'ai jamais compris, surtout au niveau collégial...

Okay, I'm not trying to write in french now because I'm way to tired ;)
Hm, I guess we say in advance that we're bad because we don't want to be embarrassed, maybe? But I really suck at writing in french since quite some time has passed since I had studied it in school.. :D It's mostly the grammar! I do understand it pretty good, though.

Oh, and it's Klingon.
I can't speak Klingon nor would I want to, but I would love to be able talk Elvish! I used to be such a Lord of the Rings geek (or, still am).

Would it be stupid to ask for the joke to be explained, kazza?

June 13, 2012 11:21 pm  #32

Molt divertit, Molly, Tu ets una noia amb ideas bones.  Aquest no es el meu llenguatge natal, pero el vaig estudar una mica. Trobo que estic fent molts errors. Algu em pot ajudar?

June 13, 2012 11:26 pm  #33

Ihan hauska idea, etenkin kun ei ymmärrä sanaakaan mitä muut kirjoittavat. Ja jos kerran olen ensimmäinen suomalainen tällä foorumilla, taidan kirjoitella tässä ihan itsekseni vain. Laadidaa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 13, 2012 11:48 pm  #34

veecee wrote:

Molt divertit, Molly, Tu ets una noia amb ideas bones.  Aquest no es el meu llenguatge natal, pero el vaig estudar una mica. Trobo que estic fent molts errors. Algu em pot ajudar?

Is this catalán, veecee? I'm sorry I can't help you, I live in another part of Spain, but I think it might be catalán...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 14, 2012 1:33 am  #35

That was quick. I thought you'd be the one to identify it, Irene!
But if someone who does speak it wants to correct me, I will gladly listen.

June 14, 2012 7:36 am  #36

IdigN1 wrote:

Ihan hauska idea, etenkin kun ei ymmärrä sanaakaan mitä muut kirjoittavat. Ja jos kerran olen ensimmäinen suomalainen tällä foorumilla, taidan kirjoitella tässä ihan itsekseni vain. Laadidaa.

Voi, tämä on fiksu ... mutta minulla on kääntäjä!
Se ei toimi kovin hyvin, mutta saatat ymmärtää minua. Olen pahoillani pilata teidän hauskaa, aion olla hiljaa nyt!
Molly x

June 14, 2012 9:31 pm  #37

veecee wrote:

I think we have another Spanish in the forum, behie, but I don't know where she is exactly from
I don't speak any other language from the Península, just common and plain Castilian (the "official" Spanish) so I can't help you further than this...

June 14, 2012 9:44 pm  #38

Molly Hooper wrote:

IdigN1 wrote:

Se ei toimi kovin hyvin, mutta saatat ymmärtää minua. Olen pahoillani pilata teidän hauskaa, aion olla hiljaa nyt!
Molly x

Not bad, Molly. I understood everything you said. Olen otettu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 14, 2012 11:18 pm  #39

Irene_Adler wrote:

veecee wrote:

I think we have another Spanish in the forum, behie, but I don't know where she is exactly from
I don't speak any other language from the Península, just common and plain Castilian (the "official" Spanish) so I can't help you further than this...

Bueno, podemos platicar an espanol de vez en cuando. Ya te habras fijado que aprendi el espanol en Mexico, pero fui una vez a tu bello pais hace muchos anos..

June 14, 2012 11:19 pm  #40

IdigN1 wrote:

Molly Hooper wrote:

IdigN1 wrote:

Molly x

Not bad, Molly. I understood everything you said. Olen otettu.

How about a translation for the rest of us?

Board footera