BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2013 8:00 pm  #181

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I don't agree.
IMO we can't be sure that it is the sexy woman Irene Adler, Sherlock is attracted to. I'd rather say it's the intelligent woman / person. So it's not really about gender. But this would lead to another thread, where we discuss if Sherlock has any sexual interests at all.
I actually enjoy a show, where it is not predictable right from the beginning (as in too many other shows - boring), who will end up in bed with whom. So I am perfectly fine with all those "hints" to romance between John and Sherlock - but in the end it doesn't actually lead to it.
This has nothing to do with conservatism.

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 8, 2013 8:40 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 8, 2013 8:22 pm  #182

It IS bromance.
It's NOT romance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2013 8:40 pm  #183

As you like it. Just changed my post. Language thing. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 8, 2013 8:51 pm  #184

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

I am a great believer/lover of Johnlock but I have become more cynical since I have been in this forum. I think the writers deliberately set out to create some sort of bromance between the characters but perhaps didn't realise how successful they would be...
In a thread about SiB , someone noted how Sherlock's response to Irene was deliberately written to show that when it comes down to it, Sherlock is a heterosexual male who is befuddled by a sexy woman, and what a shame it was they did that. I have to say I agree. i think while in some ways the writers fan the flames of Johnlock (e.g. "The somone loves you" comment by Irene,) they also show their conservativism by backing away from a more revolutionary and brave modern interpretation of Holmes and Watson as two men who form a fully romantic bond. In my opinion this is a shame.

But they never set out to make a 'revolutionary and brave modern interpretation' like that...they set out to reimagine the stories in a 21st century setting.  If they wanted to make them gay, they would have just made them gay from the start.  I don't see how a married gay head writer who helped create the show would shy away from showing two men in love on tv...if he felt it were appropriate to the story.  But he fell in love with the stories as they were and didn't want to change them from that.  Conservatism has nothing to do with it.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 8, 2013 9:11 pm  #185

Swanpride wrote:

I think the whole point Irene Adler was not that Sherlock was confused by her looks (he even calls it pathetic to take off her clothes), but that he was befuddled by the fact that he was unable to scan her properly. I think that was one of the reasons why she was lesbian, too, to make clear that the attraction between them was not sexual, but intelectual, about power and not about love.

I think that is a good point Swanpride- makes me feel a bit better about it anyway! 
I recently re-read "Scandal in Bohemia" and I have to say the original was far better at showing that it was Irene's wits and not sexuality that got to Sherlock.
Another thing that struck me as someone who hasn't read Canon for a long time is how much more openly affectionate Sherlock is with John in the Canon compared to the series.  Has anyone else thought that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 8, 2013 9:12 pm  #186

Yep, all the time.
The original drawings show this, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2013 9:15 pm  #187

sj4iy wrote:

I am a great believer/lover of Johnlock but I have become more cynical since I have been in this forum. I think the writers deliberately set out to create some sort of bromance between the characters but perhaps didn't realise how successful they would be...
In a thread about SiB , someone noted how Sherlock's response to Irene was deliberately written to show that when it comes down to it, Sherlock is a heterosexual male who is befuddled by a sexy woman, and what a shame it was they did that. I have to say I agree. i think while in some ways the writers fan the flames of Johnlock (e.g. "The somone loves you" comment by Irene,) they also show their conservativism by backing away from a more revolutionary and brave modern interpretation of Holmes and Watson as two men who form a fully romantic bond. In my opinion this is a shame.

But they never set out to make a 'revolutionary and brave modern interpretation' like that...they set out to reimagine the stories in a 21st century setting.  If they wanted to make them gay, they would have just made them gay from the start.  I don't see how a married gay head writer who helped create the show would shy away from showing two men in love on tv...if he felt it were appropriate to the story.  But he fell in love with the stories as they were and didn't want to change them from that.  Conservatism has nothing to do with it.

I guess I would like to see them fall in love and realise that this is deeper than just  friendship and that their sexuality isn't as clear as they had thought from the start. 
A lot of gay men are quite conservative and traditional when it comes to somethings- i wouldn't be suprised if Mark feels it would be too radical to interpret the Canon as such.  Also, I think we are dealing with the BBC and not HBO. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 8, 2013 10:44 pm  #188

Swanpride wrote:

I don't know if you can call it conservative...I am a woman, nevertheless I have problems with changing the gender of certain characters to female. For example, I just can't imagine a female James Bond. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be happy about someone creating a female spy who has fun seducing other people...I just wouldn't her to be "Jamie Bond", but an entirely new character. If you are a fan of something, it is always hard to abandon the picture in your own mind. Sometimes it works (moving away from the old professor portrayal and adding some spice in the relationship between Mycroft and Sherlock certainly did work for, even though I had to rearrange some ideas), but very often it just goes against every fibre. It just feels off.

I also honestly don't think that turning the two gay would add anything to the show. It actually would came with its own set of problems. I mean how are Irene Adler and Mary Morstan suppose to work if Sherlock and John were totally into each other?

To me, if the characters start out that way, then I have no problems with it.  But when you suddenly pull something like that, you've crossed over from "Mystery Theater" to "Soap Opera", and I would hate that.  How would you write that into a show where the mystery is always front and center?  They don't show sex on the show...that's never been what the show has been about.  It would completely change the tone of the show and ruin it for me, male or female.

Last edited by sj4iy (October 8, 2013 10:44 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 8, 2013 10:50 pm  #189

I think you guys are debating something that doesn't require debate. You're questioning the decisions of the writers, and those decisions have already been explained several times.

1) The BBC Adaptation is designed to resemble canon-in-truth and canon-in-essence as much as they possibly can whilst bringing it into the 21st century. That means that Mark & Steven are not going to diverge from what occurred in canon, except where it's necessary in a modern adaptation

2) The ACD canon is so full of continuity holes it's not even funny. ACD hated the success of the Sherlock Holmes stories, he felt other things he'd written deserved the acclaim far more, and he didn't put anywhere near as much effort as an author might these days in ensuring that the character's stories were consistent. There's a famous story where Watson is referred to as James!

So, if you take those two facts (and they are facts), the BBC Sherlock is going to be less full of holes because Mark & Steven are aware of the need to fill them; but they are still using the canon as source material. Looking for evidence of Johnlock in this is fruitless.

Lastly, and largely due to ACD's lazy writing, there have been readers who have intimated that Watson & Holmes were more to each other than was described in the stories. (I can honestly say I don't know where they've gotten that from, but that's another discussion - and requires the canon to be read with it's time period in mind). Mark & Steven have said, numerous times, that the little comments they've written into the scripts are a nod to that. These are not evidence that in the BBC they have written them as having some kind of behind-the-scenes relationship, or that they are bowing to conservatism. They're making in-jokes, and they're doing it deliberately.

TL:DR - The BBC show will never have an overt Johnlock relationship as it didn't exist in the canon; however, there isn't anything wrong with us imaging one for our own entertainment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 8, 2013 10:56 pm  #190

Hmm.. I think everyone here has made some excellent points- but I would like to put this out there-

I don't like the idea of changing genders of canonical characters at all but let's just say for argument sake, John was a woman- but everything else script wise in the BBC canon was the same.  Would we even be having this discussion?  Or would we not assume that there is something romantic developing between the two characters?

October 9, 2013 12:35 am  #191

Hmm.. I think everyone here has made some excellent points- but I would like to put this out there-

I don't like the idea of changing genders of canonical characters at all but let's just say for argument sake, John was a woman- but everything else script wise in the BBC canon was the same.  Would we even be having this discussion?  Or would we not assume that there is something romantic developing between the two characters?

I think I'd be annoyed by it then, tbh. It has always annoyed me that there's this expectation that a hetero female and a hetero male can't just be friends. Elementary has changed John to a female, and there is nothing romantic between them either. I don't even see indications of it in that show. (Elementary is nowhere near as good a show as Sherlock, but it is more frequent!)

Whether others would see a sexual tension or not I don't know. I think it would depend a lot on what choices the actors made. Obviously a female John would not be played by Martin so the chemistry would be totally different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 9, 2013 4:50 am  #192

Wholocked wrote:

Whether others would see a sexual tension or not I don't know. I think it would depend a lot on what choices the actors made.

But that's not at all different from the Johnlock discussion we are having with the show as it is, or is it not? Some see the sexual tension between Sherlock and John, others don't see it and make absolute statements like besleybean and say "It IS bromance. It's NOT romance.". And that is all fine.

I just think it wouldn't make a whole lot of a difference if John was suddenly turned into a Joan (like in "Elementary"). You'll always have people who see sexual tension and others who don't. (And I'm not really familiar with "Elementary", but I bet there are also fans out there who do indeed see sexual tension between Sherlock and Joan.)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 9, 2013 5:05 am  #193

SolarSystem wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

Whether others would see a sexual tension or not I don't know. I think it would depend a lot on what choices the actors made.

But that's not at all different from the Johnlock discussion we are having with the show as it is, or is it not? Some see the sexual tension between Sherlock and John, others don't see it and make absolute statements like besleybean and say "It IS bromance. It's NOT romance.". And that is all fine.

I just think it wouldn't make a whole lot of a difference if John was suddenly turned into a Joan (like in "Elementary"). You'll always have people who see sexual tension and others who don't. (And I'm not really familiar with "Elementary", but I bet there are also fans out there who do indeed see sexual tension between Sherlock and Joan.)

Oh definitely. It's the same conversation regardless of their genders

October 24, 2013 2:33 pm  #194

I just found some nice visual material regarding Johnlock moments in "Sherlock": 

http://sylviatietjens.co.vu/post/59034886056/so-i-mentioned-in-my-video-on-shipping-that

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 29, 2013 6:39 am  #195

Not sure if this is up anywhere else in the forum, but I thought the trailer for Sherlock from South Korea was a definite God Yes for Johnlock believers:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/08/sherlock-watson-in-love-south-korea-ocn

December 29, 2013 9:56 am  #196

Wholocked wrote:

Lastly, and largely due to ACD's lazy writing, there have been readers who have intimated that Watson & Holmes were more to each other than was described in the stories. (I can honestly say I don't know where they've gotten that from, but that's another discussion - and requires the canon to be read with it's time period in mind). Mark & Steven have said, numerous times, that the little comments they've written into the scripts are a nod to that. These are not evidence that in the BBC they have written them as having some kind of behind-the-scenes relationship, or that they are bowing to conservatism. They're making in-jokes, and they're doing it deliberately.

TL:DR - The BBC show will never have an overt Johnlock relationship as it didn't exist in the canon; however, there isn't anything wrong with us imaging one for our own entertainment

I'm with Wholocked here. There have been essays and discussions about SH's moods, sexuality and relationship to Watson for more than a hundred years. So, clearly there were people right from the start who saw something in the ur-canon that made them question the whole concept.

There is a famous essay where someone laid out the theory that Watson *was* in fact a woman and in a romantic/sexual relationship with SH and only wrote under a male pseudonym to better sell his/her stories. And yes, I know, Watson did not really sell the SH stories, but it is part of The Great Game of SH scholars to pretend they really existed.

It has been discussed whether ACD wrote the stories with something like a covert relationship in mind or if it was his subconsciousness speaking. Same thing actually as with Tolkien's Frodo/Sam relationship where the same questions have been asked. Of course there will never be a definite answer to these questions as these authors are not around anymore and even if they were, I doubt they would be willing to undergo a psychological examination for the sake of their readers. ;-)

So, I have understood the writers including all the innuendo into their series as a nod to this tradition and also a running gag. It's therefore no wonder that today's viewers fall into the same trap and continue the discussion of "are they/aren't they" and "will they/won't they".

Here is the link to a lovely open letter from IvyBlossom (The Progress of SH, The Quiet Man) to Steven Moffat: http://ivyblossom.tumblr.com/post/40149755634/an-open-letter-to-steven-moffat

I think she explains it far better than I could: "some stories are bigger on the inside".

Last edited by kete (December 29, 2013 10:21 am)

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 31, 2013 2:26 pm  #197

Same here! I like Johnlock but not as a completely serious thing, just as BFFs I guess. But we all need to be careful because honestly im a directioner too and since people have been shipping larry stylinson louis cried because he says its not true and getting out of hand :/

Shootin' The Wall Coz Im BORED

December 31, 2013 8:29 pm  #198

Who are these people you speak of?

January 1, 2014 7:09 am  #199

saraothman wrote:

Same here! I like Johnlock but not as a completely serious thing, just as BFFs I guess. But we all need to be careful because honestly im a directioner too and since people have been shipping larry stylinson louis cried because he says its not true and getting out of hand :/

Well, it is a bit different.  The members of One Direction are real people, John and Sherlock are fictional characters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2014 9:19 am  #200

I really ship John an Sherlock as a couple, just best friends isn't enough for me ;)

♥ I AM SHERLOCKED ♥
                                                              and I ship Johnlock harder than Mrs. Hudson ;-)

Board footera