BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2012 4:02 pm  #1

the violin

I was googling about and found this amazing post by Benedict's violin coach. I'd wondered about the soundtrack, knowing it was unlikely that he'd just happened to know how to play the violin before being cast as Sherlock.

The post answers all my questions, and also gives a rather fascinating view of the set. I have even more respect for the production now, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

http://earthobservingsystem.tumblr.com/post/15188532235/sherlock-on-the-fiddle

June 8, 2012 4:42 pm  #2

Re: the violin

What an interesting read. Thank you for posting. It will make me look at some of these scenes with new eyes now I can see a little more of the effort that really goes into producing these episodes. Lovely that they value the fan mail in this way too.

I admit to wondering how he kept his grip on the violin and the sheet at the same time though 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 8, 2012 5:03 pm  #3

THis was a fascinating read.
Thanks for posting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 8, 2012 5:34 pm  #4

Very enjoyable "behind the scenes" read. Wish there could be more stuff like that included with the DVDs...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 19, 2012 9:41 am  #5

I especially loved the part about Una Stubbs saying it wasn't her feet that smelled -- it was the fridge. Funny!

June 19, 2012 10:03 am  #6

There have been quite a few items written about the violin coaching, way back in January I think, lol.

Here's a few
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2012/jan/04/how-taught-sherlock-holmes-violin

http://eoschaterfans.com/sherlock-on-the-fiddle

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 19, 2012 11:21 am  #7

What I don't understand is why the movement of the bow doesn't fit the music AT ALL? I fully understand that BC is not a violinist, but when you watch him play We Wish You A Merry Christmas, it's just completely out of sync. Surely after going through all the trouble with the coach etc., they could have told him beforehand how the scene would be scored?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 19, 2012 12:34 pm  #8

kazza474 wrote:

There have been quite a few items written about the violin coaching, way back in January I think, lol.

Here's a few
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2012/jan/04/how-taught-sherlock-holmes-violin

http://eoschaterfans.com/sherlock-on-the-fiddle

Those are both articles written about or excerpting the full post, which is what I linked to.

As for the bowing not matching... sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It surprised me that they have it very well matched during the "composing" scene, but not when he's playing a fairly simple song later in the same episode. Maybe his coach wasn't standing on a box outside the window for him to look at that time?

July 5, 2012 3:17 pm  #9

That was a very interesting read, thank you.

July 5, 2012 4:29 pm  #10

hypergreenfrog wrote:

What I don't understand is why the movement of the bow doesn't fit the music AT ALL? I fully understand that BC is not a violinist, but when you watch him play We Wish You A Merry Christmas, it's just completely out of sync. Surely after going through all the trouble with the coach etc., they could have told him beforehand how the scene would be scored?

I think he said he played violin in the SiB DVD commentary...but you're right. It makes no sense that it's out of sync.

July 23, 2012 5:20 am  #11

.. and there is always Series 3 - I wonder how much Ben will have improved?

"People think that to play music is just amazing talent. Obviously it takes some talent to do it, but its not really. If you know and approach it in a sensible way with a little bit of common sense, you can soon learn how to play the fiddle; there's no genius in actually playing the violin. The real creativity is when you decide what you want to do with that technical skill...its the way you put it that matters." Nigel Kennedy

July 23, 2012 7:25 am  #12

Got to love a bit of Nigel.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 23, 2012 8:21 am  #13

I think it was Beethoven who said something like "Genius consists of a 2% talent and 98% of persevering application". I think this resumes perfectly what a good musician has to do

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

September 4, 2012 11:40 am  #14

The reason his movements don't match the soundtrack is because the soundtrack was added later and he was playing without knowing what the soundtrack might sound like. They said on DVD that showpiece violins are silent - must be really weird playing on an instrument that doesn't actually make the sound that you expect to hear.

July 4, 2016 11:28 am  #15

imane nikko wrote:

I was googling about and found this amazing post by Benedict's violin coach. I'd wondered about the soundtrack, knowing it was unlikely that he'd just happened to know how to play the violin before being cast as Sherlock.

The post answers all my questions, and also gives a rather fascinating view of the set. I have even more respect for the production now, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

http://earthobservingsystem.tumblr.com/post/15188532235/sherlock-on-the-fiddle

This just made me feel all gushy and squeeful, what a lucky person! (and as ever, Benedict sounds like a gorgeous man )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera