BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2013 4:17 am  #1

Copyright on the internet & in this forum

Recently, I've become aware of a trend here to post either screencaps or complete cut & pastes of entire articles, pictures included of copyrighted material. People do so innocently enough because 'it was on Twiiter/Tumblr/my friend's Facebook page".
Now whether or not Fred Bloggs has it on their Tumblr is neither here nor there really. It doesn't matter how many other people repost it, etc etc. This forum is run by one person, and anything posted on it becomes her responsibility. And you can bet, any problems about 'ownership' of reposted articles will also be her problem.

There is a simple code to live by when posting online.
1. NEVER post an entire article unless you have express permission in writing from the original writer; regardless of whether you give a link to the source or not.
2. ALWAYS investigate the original source for yourself. Just because Sally Tumblr posts it as original work, doesn't mean it is. Select a key phrase & Google that phrase.
3. ALWAYS ask yourself "will the original owner be missing out on revenue if people look at my post instead of going to their site". Most likely YES! Sites with advertising and magazines are the most common 'source' for these articles. They rely heavily on traffic to their sites or sales of their magazines/newspapers.
4. BE DILIGENT in your postings; select a small section of the writing & post that & then post a link to the source so that people MUST go there to finish reading the article.

Remember, whilst it may be posted under your user name, ultimately the buck stops with SherlockHolmes (The Boss).
Let's not get her into hot water unnecessarily.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 5, 2013 9:25 pm  #2

Re: Copyright on the internet & in this forum

Copyright also applies to pictures. Many large businesses make millions/billions from the pictures of stars that they copyright.
It stands to reason then that those firms would also have a battery of monitor bots that scan the internet looking for their copyrighted images being used illegally. Because ANY reproduction of those images ARE illegal.

Severeal years ago I was Co-Admin of a forum where this very thing happened. It was a growing forum dealing with a popular theme. So I DO know it is a very real problem.

Look at the pictures you are going to post, if they have a copyright symbol on them, do not post them. Post a link to the image instead.
In terms of copyright law, unless you can prove fair use as reason for posting the image ( fair use includes things like educational or transformative reasons etc)

I won't mention which firm is the worst for pursuing forums like ours etc but please read up on the topic & be wary of what you post.
If it clearly has a copyright mark or watermark on it, don't use it & even worse, do NOT crop the image to remove the copyright. That is akin to defacing the item & therefore admitting guilt.

Just post links when not sure, surely that is not much to ask?

Please add your thoughts in this thread please

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 23, 2013 8:32 am  #3

That's easy. Search for "songs" and you'll find this thread:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3204&p=2

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 20, 2014 3:29 pm  #4

5. Or make a simple request to Mycroft. World governments hinge on his advices. 

"the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

August 3, 2014 8:52 am  #5

What I found extremely useful when it comes to pictures is a certain google function: 

If you open google image search, there are two symbols in the search bar: a camera and a microphone. Select the camera and it allows you to enter an image url or upload a file - if you then click search it will provide you with "sources" where he image can be found. 

I once did that for a picture on tumblr whithout credit and went through about five image forums (fanpop, weheartit, etc) until I finally found my way to the original image on the artist's devianart page.

August 3, 2014 10:12 am  #6

Thank you for the information, this is good to know. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 19, 2015 6:28 am  #7

And His Last Vow because there are such brilliant and strong scenes acting-wise. Alone that scene in Baker Street when Sherlock,John and Mary return from Leinster Gardens is so brilliantly played it deserves all awards in the world.

Board footera