BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2013 4:16 am  #1

Copyright on the internet & in this forum

Recently, I've become aware of a trend here to post either screencaps or complete cut & pastes of entire articles, pictures included of copyrighted material. People do so innocently enough because 'it was on Twiiter/Tumblr/my friend's Facebook page".
Now whether or not Fred Bloggs has it on their Tumblr is neither here nor there really. It doesn't matter how many other people repost it, etc etc. This forum is run by one person, and anything posted on it becomes her responsibility. And you can bet, any problems about 'ownership' of reposted articles will also be her problem.

There is a simple code to live by when posting online.
1. NEVER post an entire article unless you have express permission in writing from the original writer; regardless of whether you give a link to the source or not.
2. ALWAYS investigate the original source for yourself. Just because Sally Tumblr posts it as original work, doesn't mean it is. Select a key phrase & Google that phrase.
3. ALWAYS ask yourself "will the original owner be missing out on revenue if people look at my post instead of going to their site". Most likely YES! Sites with advertising and magazines are the most common 'source' for these articles. They rely heavily on traffic to their sites or sales of their magazines/newspapers.
4. BE DILIGENT in your postings; select a small section of the writing & post that & then post a link to the source so that people MUST go there to finish reading the article.

Remember, whilst it may be posted under your user name, ultimately the buck stops with SherlockHolmes (The Boss).
Let's not get her into hot water unnecessarily.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 5, 2013 9:26 pm  #2

Re: Copyright on the internet & in this forum

Copyright also applies to pictures. Many large businesses make millions/billions from the pictures of stars that they copyright.
It stands to reason then that those firms would also have a battery of monitor bots that scan the internet looking for their copyrighted images being used illegally. Because ANY reproduction of those images ARE illegal.

Severeal years ago I was Co-Admin of a forum where this very thing happened. It was a growing forum dealing with a popular theme. So I DO know it is a very real problem.

Look at the pictures you are going to post, if they have a copyright symbol on them, do not post them. Post a link to the image instead.
In terms of copyright law, unless you can prove fair use as reason for posting the image ( fair use includes things like educational or transformative reasons etc)

I won't mention which firm is the worst for pursuing forums like ours etc but please read up on the topic & be wary of what you post.
If it clearly has a copyright mark or watermark on it, don't use it & even worse, do NOT crop the image to remove the copyright. That is akin to defacing the item & therefore admitting guilt.

Just post links when not sure, surely that is not much to ask?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 5, 2013 9:55 pm  #3

I fully understand the problem. We have the same in another forum I'm frequenting.
This is a very difficult thing: in the mentioned forum we post pictures of things we made from clay.
We must be very careful not to post things which look like things someone else made before.
Of course we are not allowed to build figures like Mickey Mouse or similar and show them in that forum.
Some have left the forum meanwhile because they became too unsure if they may post their works or not.

I wonder: not to post pictures with a copyright sign, is it that easy? I don't remember that I ever found this sign.... Watermark I know.
I also wonder what about stills from movies / pieces. I could imagine that it's illegal, too.
This would mean, we could forget more than half of the pics in the "favourite Benedict pic" thread.

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 5, 2013 9:58 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 5, 2013 10:08 pm  #4

Mattlocked wrote:

I wonder: not to post pictures with a copyright sign, is it that easy? I don't remember that I ever found this sign.... Watermark I know.
I also wonder what about stills from movies / pieces. I could imagine that it's illegal, too.
This would mean, we could forget more than half of the pics in the "favourite Benedict pic" thread.

If they have an obvious copyright on them, no they should not be posted. Not all images have the copyright on them however but this could be your 'defence' although you really should be checked the source before posting anything.
Personally, I will post if I cannot see any obvious copyright mark or I believe the picture is for public use.
The issue here is that the subject matter is currently a popular money spinner for image owners so you can bet your sweet bippy that these will attract attention & be scrutinised even more than a picture of say George Harrison at the moment.
And who exactly would be sued? Definitely the Owner of the forum and possibly the poster of the image. I mean if we find an 'exclusive picture from Benedict's dressing room' and it was copyrighted.... I wouldn't touch it.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 6, 2013 12:59 am  #5

In the end, this notice is given to you all so that you can modify what you have posted or what you may post in future. The way to modify these would be to edit the posts to just having a link to the pictures, thus removing any blame from this site.
Short of that if staff have to attend to them, the pictures would just be removed as the extra time involved in getting a link & replacing the picture could become all consuming.
That's standard procedure.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation all.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 6, 2013 8:35 pm  #6

kazza474 wrote:

I mean if we find an 'exclusive picture from Benedict's dressing room' and it was copyrighted.... I wouldn't touch it.

I'd totally post that. Screw getting sued. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 6, 2013 11:24 pm  #7

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

I mean if we find an 'exclusive picture from Benedict's dressing room' and it was copyrighted.... I wouldn't touch it.

I'd totally post that. Screw getting sued. 

Cute, boss!  Should we be shocked and horrified at your complete lack of ethics and morality?

But seriously, as an internet techno-tard I need a bit of guidance on this topic.  How do I tell if something has a copywrite on it? For example, I've found some cute cartoons or pictures on tumblr that I've copied and posted here.  But I've never seen a copywrite warning and sometimes when I scroll down I see this gigantic "reblogged from" list. I've never quite known what that list means - sometimes it seems endless and a waste of space.  Does it mean every person on that list has copied that picture from somewhere else?  I sometimes try to remember to cite the tumblr account where I found the picture, but don't always do so.  Am I in violation?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 7, 2013 5:03 am  #8

OK, classic example is on this page:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1406&p=16 post #229

(yes, it will be removed shortly UNLESS the poster edits the post to just give a link to the picture in the meantime)
In the bottom right hand corner there is a clearly seen copyright. Now regardless that the poster put a link to the source, it's still an illegal post. You can put links to the actual picture owner's site there if you want, but it is STILL not allowed unless you can show proof that the owner has given you permission to use it. This includes Tumblr users etc

Some others are hard to assess, especially if from tumblr as many will post & repost their Granny's Xrays if they think people 'need' to see it. You can usually do a quick Google search for images & find that one listed a few times & from there decide if it's safe to post or not.
Unfortunately ignorance is no excuse if you get 'caught'

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 7, 2013 8:08 am  #9

More on this :

KeepersPrice wrote:

............ How do I tell if something has a copywrite on it? For example, I've found some cute cartoons or pictures on tumblr that I've copied and posted here.  But I've never seen a copywrite warning and sometimes when I scroll down I see this gigantic "reblogged from" list. I've never quite known what that list means - sometimes it seems endless and a waste of space.  Does it mean every person on that list has copied that picture from somewhere else?  I sometimes try to remember to cite the tumblr account where I found the picture, but don't always do so.  Am I in violation?

I would suggest you read this person's story, posted soon after the law suit was over, in July 2012 so it is very relevant:

HERE

So the short answer to your question is "Unless you know otherwise, consider it copyrighted" and yes, it seems most Tumblr or Facebook 'picture posters' are taking a gamble on the pictures they post.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 11, 2013 8:11 am  #10

I  understand  abt copyrights and watermarks.   But,  sometimes you cannot SEEE   the watermark.   I  have loads of pics I got from the internet  without any  kind of markings on them...but so far I haven't posted them anywhere else because they looked like  photos that were taken for the shows they were on.   Are THOSE  kinds of pics ok to post here?   Cos that's what I  see, mostly, on this forum.

Is my kitty avatar ok?   If  it's not let me know.   I  just found it  by googling.   I thought it was perfect for my user name.   

Has this board had any trouble with pics posted?   And How do mods know  if a pic that was posted,  needs to be taken off?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 11, 2013 9:19 am  #11

Skitty, yes it is hard to tell at times.
Basically ask the question 'would a magazine be buying this picture?' If so, it'll be copyrighted or Rights Managed. So what should happen (unless you are using it for an editorial comment on the picture OR educational reasons OR keeping it for your own viewing & no-one else) is that you contact the owner of the picture asking permission.
Same thing with most pics found on Tumblr; someone goes to the trouble of making a picture & then everyone uses it, posts it without asking first and then crediting the owner (via a link usually)
So posting things found on Tumblr & posting a link to that page is pointless; you still haven't asked for permission. You are just pointing out who you 'stole' something from, lol.
As I said, I have seen what happens & it sucks. Read the link & know that a similar thing could happen to ANYONE, especially if you use GettyImages. They are money hungry, they don't care who you are, and to say you have 'no assets' etc is pointless, courts everywhere would put some kind of repayment system into place where you'd have hardship possibly paying the fines back.
I spoke up as I realised most picture posted here are now 'in fashion' to have in magazine. No doubt there will be very few which are safe; old ones most probably will be in the public domain by now.

Slightly in your favour would be the fact that you are not using it to make money. To an artist however, that wouldn't matter.

So, update on what is happening in this forum:
After pointing all this out, it seems to have made little difference. We've conversed as staff and it appears that Admin want to leave it as is. Not my problem, not my wallet then.

Myself personally I try NOT to post many pics; certainly NEVER post a magazine article (that one potentially takes a LOT of money away from the magazine) and will stick with posting links.

A lot of the places that have these pics rely on traffic to their sites to bolster their 'viewing' numbers for potential afvertisers. Without that grwing traffic, they will die out and you will all have to get out your cameras & get your own shots; get out your running shoes & chase people for interviews, etc etc.

In the end, pics sometimes can be a pest for some online, download speeds etc. Some have already seen the pic 100 times, do we need to see it again?
My own personal view of 'picture' threads - well its starting to look like a scrapbooking site here; a 'trophy case' of 'look what I found'. Problem is we all see the same things anyway, lol. No trophies there!
Links open up so much more than just that one story/picture. And a forum, as far as I am concerned is a place for words, not an art museum.

**These are my own personal views not those of the staff on this forum. They do NOT relate to any individual or group of individuals. Any descriptive phrases used are merely used for emphasis of my words and are NOT meant to degrade or embarrass any person or persons whatsoever.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 11, 2013 7:44 pm  #12

kazza474 wrote:

So, update on what is happening in this forum:
After pointing all this out, it seems to have made little difference. We've conversed as staff and it appears that Admin want to leave it as is. Not my problem, not my wallet then.

I disagree that it's made little difference. I see a significant slow down in Benedict's picture thread. I admit it saddens me, but I understand it. I read the story you linked above and that saddens me too. I think mass internet media has just changed the way people see material like this. Just attaching pictures or articles to a forum like this doesn't seem like such a bad thing to do, but I think if we were holding an actual book or magazine or cd or something, we might hesitate or give it more thought before we act, as we're holding something real and substantial in our hands, so the idea of copyright might seem more tangible. I'll have to work on this myself, as I'm often tempted to post new pictures of Benedict.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 12, 2013 9:15 pm  #13

but,  what about the pics  up  above  and below, of sherlock and John,   and what about our avatar pics?   I  uploaded my  kitty  pic  here  to  my   photobucket,  and am using it here.   I  don't remember  which google images site I got it from.  Are those pics ok to use?   I  just read the article,  and it doesn't really answer my question.   But  it DID  help me to understand better.

But,  ok,  what  are the PUBLIC DOMAIN  picture sites?   where are those?   

I  know enough,  also,  to not use pics from deviantart.com  site.   Someone on another fanboard told me of that one.   So,  I steer clear of it.   

thanks for the info tho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 12, 2013 10:14 pm  #14

Look, you have a choice. You could run off to every image site & check their files for images, etc OR use your common sense. Ask yourself 'would this picture be one the magazines would pay for to print in their magazine?' If it's an older one, probably NOT so it'd be ok.
In the end it is up to you to read up on these things & make a personal decision on what you will or won't post. I can't give you an easy watertight way to determine these things. The internet allows you access to many things; using it responsibly is something you just have to learn as you go along.

Here's a perfect example of how you probably are already forming your own policy on what to post & what to leave alone. 
- children of actors. Sometime ago, a picture (taken by a fan I believe) started circulating showing Martin, Amanada & their kids. Everyone on Tumblr and elsewhere (thank god not here!) thought it was a great idea to share & repost it all over the place. Eventually Martin had to ask for people to take them down & please don't share anymore etc.
I think 99% of the fandom have done that & are jumping on the few left who haven't.  So already the fandom has drawn a line.

In the end YOU research it to a level you are happy with and then YOU decide on your own personal level of sharing.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 23, 2013 11:26 am  #15

Here's the thing.

In Academia, you have to reference your sources in order for your article to be valid and your research to be accepted by the community at large.

In business/economics, you have to have permission for whatever you "borrow" because YOU ARE MAKING MONEY OUT OF IT.

In the world of fan-based online discussion forums, we are neither publishing white papers that will change shape of the world NOR ARE WE MAKING ANY $$$$ out of it.

So while I understand that it is common courtesy for us to acknowledge our sources, why must our activities be pushed into the legalities of it all? 

Fan-based activities are by their very nature reproductive. We are taking a concept that is already copyrighted and flogging it to death. That is the reason why forums like these websites/forums exist. Depending on which author/producer you talk to (some are very protective of their work & dislike fan-based flogging; while others are more relaxed and actually encourage greater fan-based participation), the very existence of these forums is a Legal question mark.

If we are already halfway there when it comes to crossing the darkside (of blatent copyright infringements) why must we draw even more attention to ourselves by reminding each other that what we're doing is legally grey.

I'm not saying that the original sentiment is wrong; I'm just saying that it's a moot point.

If I'm already breaking the law by flogging a concept, I honestly couldn't care less how much further into the darkside I go since I am (1) not doing anything that will result in catastrophy to half the planet & (2) NOT MAKING ANY $$$$ out of it.

The reason why copyright exists is to prevent people from profiting out of a concept that has already been established on the market. As fans, WE ARE THE MARKET. You might as well tell us not to consume your wonderfully copyrighted material if you're gonna be all overprotective like that.

Board footera