BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2013 11:18 am  #21

Re: British-ness

beekeeper wrote:

So your knowledge is basically school knowledge then?

Yeah, pretty much. Unless you've been in the country, you really can't say that you know jack about it. I haven't been in England so cannot say that I know anything real about England (like where all the best pubs/bars are - not the ones they advertise in the brochure )

However, I can say that I know something about Sydney because I know at least one good bar

April 8, 2013 7:35 pm  #22

Mnemosyne wrote:

(not everyone is a nice, middle-class eccentric around here... although I fit into that category rather nicely.)

Speaking of class, how would you class the following characters based on the new system (or a more pertinent system, if you prefer, but please explain it to the non-Brits):

Sherlock
John
Lestrade
Molly
Mrs. Hudson

-------------------
Are you local?

April 8, 2013 7:37 pm  #23

MNRebecca wrote:

Speaking of class, how would you class the following characters 

Forgot to add, please briefly explain reason for 'class'-ification. 

-------------------
Are you local?

April 9, 2013 9:14 am  #24

errrr. I think this is quite debated actually. 

What complicates it is that I'd say that the class system is a lot more fluid in London anyway, with a lot more mobility than elsewhere. Also, there's a kind of London mishmash accent which they all use to an extent. Lestrade, for example, sounds like he's using estury English (I think he might be aiming for cockney) which could place him anywhere in London really.

I think the standard answer would be

Sherlock - upper/ruling class. Not sure he's originally a Londoner.
John - middle middle class, possibly working class made good. Prob not a Londoner-somewhere more southern, I think. 
Lestrade -middle middle class, possibly working class made good. Londoner but probably south London.
Molly - probably ex private school/oxbridge or a redbrick uni so some kind of nice middle class, not a Londoner but a southerner
Mrs. Hudson- not sure. Londoner definately, with the only other option I can see being Brighton

I've said before, I am not sure this is right. I think both Sherlock and John may not have the backgrounds we assume from their accent. John in particular has mysteriously no family, no referencces to family (aside from his sister). Most doctors have parents who are doctors but you don't get that sense with him. 

Last edited by beekeeper (April 9, 2013 9:17 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 9, 2013 1:40 pm  #25

I always imagine John as coming from a lower middle class background, so his parents came from working class backgrounds then moved up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 10, 2013 6:08 pm  #26

yk, there is something very rootless about John. I've wondered if he was orphaned/ abandoned pretty young. He and his sister do seem reasonably screwed up, tbh and only seem to have each other. He's young, at around 40, to have no parents.

Last edited by beekeeper (April 10, 2013 6:09 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 10, 2013 6:17 pm  #27

beekeeper wrote:

yk, there is something very rootless about John. I've wondered if he was orphaned/ abandoned pretty young.

May I just say, the way this series absolutely CRAMS you with wondering about the characters' psyches and backstories is what makes it such a stupendous show.

-------------------
Are you local?

April 15, 2013 11:17 am  #28

MNRebecca wrote:

May I just say, the way this series absolutely CRAMS you with wondering about the characters' psyches and backstories is what makes it such a stupendous show.

We can pull some information from the original stories, but the writers play with canon - reversing it, combining it, updating it - so much that we can't rely on it.  But I think they're quite meticulous about the characters as they've envisioned them, and it's those little details that make the show.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

October 22, 2013 12:50 pm  #29

Does Benedict play Sherlock with an accent or is it his native/normal/actual accent?  How about Martin?

I have a decent ear for accents but I know that British accents have more layers than I can hear.

Footnote:  Years ago in an American comedy TV show, a British character meeting another Brit for the first time could identify not only the country and city she was from but also the street, and which SIDE of the street and which FLOOR of the building.  A good giggle at our impression of the uncanny way that Brits can often identify each other....

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

October 22, 2013 1:22 pm  #30

Their accents seem the same as real life to me. Just look at some of the interviews to hear them as themselves

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 22, 2013 4:00 pm  #31

Now that I've been to England, I'm much more...intrigued...by Ben's insistence on referring to himself as English, not British.

-------------------
Are you local?

Board footera