BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2014 10:54 am  #441

Re: Recently watched movies.

besleybean wrote:

I just saw The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes last night.
I should have seen it a lot sooner, but there was technical glitch, which I won't bore you with,
Anyhow, obviously I had to watch it as it's cited by both Mark and Steven as their fave version.
Well I'm glad I saw it, it was very good and I did enjoy it for a number of reasons.
But I can't honestly say I would choose it as my favourite.
I could certainly see the influence on BBC Sherlock.(and actually on Dr Who, but that's a whole other story!)
But I feel empowered now against anybody who quotes it as a Johnlock base...er no,
We do however see the origin of the gay joke, which Holmes in particular seems to enjoy at Watson's expense.

Well, the idea was not born in the fandom but brought up by Mark himself:

"The relationship between Sherlock and Watson is treated beautifully; Sherlock effectively falls in love with him in the film, but it's so desperately unspoken."

source: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/nov/07/mark-gatiss-sherlock-holmes

Mark names TPLOSH as the film that changed his life. I cannot believe that a film that is just playing on a gay joke would be so important to him.

Billy Wilder himself regretted later that he did not make Holmes and Watson openly gay as had been his original idea. 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 26, 2014 10:55 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 26, 2014 11:01 am  #442

Can I just say that I thought the film to be pretty boring? I am a huge fan of Billy Wilder and there are a lot of Wilder movies I absolutely love, but this one isn't one of them. I probably should give it another try, but I already tried to watch it twice and each time I gave up after about an hour. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 26, 2014 11:04 am  #443

I hear you Solar, I was trying to be nice!

Susi, I would have preferred it if it had been a gay romp.,..
I do not see Holmes falling in love with Watson at all.
To me Scandal was virtually a direct lift from this, re; 'The Woman' and Sherlock's attitude to her....and at least BBC Sherlock uses the canonical Irene.

Last edited by besleybean (October 26, 2014 11:08 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 26, 2014 11:25 am  #444

Maybe it was too early for that, regarding US film censoring and all.
The interesting thing for me is that Mark as a gay man seems to see gay subtext in the film.

Harriet, I do not know this one, just the Decameron, The Canterbury Tales, and Thousand and one Nights. And many years ago I watched Pasolini's film about the gospel according to Matthew. Did he always use amateurs in his films? And how did he find them? On the streets or by advertising in newspapers? And what was the idea behind this?

Last edited by SusiGo (October 26, 2014 11:37 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 26, 2014 11:41 am  #445

Well Susi there is the obvious gay subtext in the ballet world...
But once again John is shown as a womaiser...and did I hear correctly: Holmes refer to a passionate affair in his lab.,..or was he lying? He did refer to an engagement, which didn't seem to be for a case.
Other than that he appeared asexual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 26, 2014 11:45 am  #446

Girls, that definitely belongs to the official johnlock thread.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 26, 2014 11:47 am  #447

Accatone was his first major movie. He actually used to seek for actors on the street, in Rome the Borgate, and later also in countries like Yemen and Ethiopia, for his Arabian Nights.

He was an artist who did a lot of legwork out in the field, having lived in the Borgate for some time after he had lost his teacher job due to homosexuality charges and had fled to Rome. Pasolini kept having admiration and compassion for the urban and rural poor. And he decided to let them speak with their own faces and voices in his movies. Quite some actors he had discovered watching them and talking with them later became kind of permanent staff in his films, and, like Franco Citti, became professional actors with other directors as well.
Pasolini was especially interested in faces that were unusual, often faces of people from the poor south of Italy and the like, and were not promoted by then present beauty standards for actors.

from an interview with James Blue 1965:
When I choose actors, instinctively I choose someone who knows how to act. It’s a kind of instinct that so far hasn’t betrayed me except in very minor and very special cases. So far I’ve chosen Franco Citti for Accattone and Ettore Garofolo for the boy in Mamma Roma. In La Ricotta, a young boy from the slums of Rome. I’ve always guessed right, that from the very moment in which I chose the face that seemed to me exact for the character, instinctively he reveals himself a potential actor. When I choose non-actors, I choose potential actors.
http://www.filmcomment.com/article/pier-paolo-pasolini-interview

Last edited by Harriet (October 26, 2014 11:59 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 26, 2014 11:57 am  #448

besleybean wrote:

I just saw The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes last night.
I should have seen it a lot sooner, but there was technical glitch, which I won't bore you with,
Anyhow, obviously I had to watch it as it's cited by both Mark and Steven as their fave version.
Well I'm glad I saw it, it was very good and I did enjoy it for a number of reasons.
But I can't honestly say I would choose it as my favourite.
I could certainly see the influence on BBC Sherlock.(and actually on Dr Who, but that's a whole other story!)
But I feel empowered now against anybody who quotes it as a Johnlock base...er no,
We do however see the origin of the gay joke, which Holmes in particular seems to enjoy at Watson's expense.

That's interesting. I want to watch this film too, but I can't find it anywhere.

October 26, 2014 12:01 pm  #449

It has an own thread as well, if you want to read more 
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1434

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 26, 2014 12:12 pm  #450

Harriet wrote:

It has an own thread as well, if you want to read more
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1434

Thanks. Yes, I know about the movie, and I want to watch it because Moffat and Gatiss talks about it so much and I'd like to see if I can spot the influences from it 
I just can't find it anywhere.

It could be bought on Amazon (not sure it's there anymore) but they are not shipping it to my country.

Well, the search continues 

October 26, 2014 12:16 pm  #451

Second hand sellers perhaps? I have no copy myself, otherwise I might lend it to you.

Last edited by Harriet (October 26, 2014 12:17 pm)

October 26, 2014 12:35 pm  #452

Harriet wrote:

Second hand sellers perhaps? I have no copy myself, otherwise I might lend it to you.

Thanks 
Yes, and I haven't tried the libraries yet. They are quite good at finding rare treasures and borrowing from other libraries to lend out, so I'll try that next 

October 26, 2014 12:44 pm  #453

If anybody speaks Thai, I have a Thai copy...that was my embarrassing technical glitch!

Last edited by besleybean (October 26, 2014 12:44 pm)

October 26, 2014 12:51 pm  #454

Thank you, Harriet, for the details. 

Besley, this is really quite funny. Wonder how it sounds. 

October 26, 2014 12:54 pm  #455

Hilarious!

October 26, 2014 12:59 pm  #456

Thailand has a powerful gay subculture and is one of the most tolerant countries in Asia in regard to homosexuality, just saying (*innocent whistle*)

October 26, 2014 1:29 pm  #457

Pleased to hear it.

October 26, 2014 1:44 pm  #458

Got with some friends and had a horror movie marathon.  Watched the original Psycho and Night of the Living Dead.  We also watched Kubrick's The Shining.  Not a fan of that one. Love the book and I don't think it was done justice.  To me Kubrick left out all the things from the book that gave the story emotional depth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 26, 2014 1:52 pm  #459

tonnaree, I gotta say that I love Kubrick's "Shining", but maybe that's because I don't know the novel. I love how it works visually, I love Jack Nicholson's performance in it. As a movie it works perfectly for me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 26, 2014 1:59 pm  #460

Oh, the visuals are groundbreaking.  It's a masterpiece of filmmaking.  I'd never sent that.  It's just not the same story I love.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera