BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2012 8:40 pm  #1

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Just wanted to share one of my favorite Sherlock Holmes movies.  The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes is from 1970 and was directed by Billy Wilder (of Sunset Blvd. fame).  It's fairly comedic, a little romantic, and kinda' silly.  It likes to poke fun at itself (there is a funny bit about his dislike of the deerstalker)  There's an Irene Alder-like character in it, and Christopher Lee plays Mycroft (he does that a lot...).  Since it's the 70's and they loved gay jokes back then there are plenty of them in the first few scenes.

It might be available on hulu (it used to be) and is available on DVD and can be downloaded in a less than legal sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/597554/CreamLemon

July 26, 2012 4:24 pm  #2

Re: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard quite a few people talking about this one and have been meaning to watch it for a while, but might finally get round to it now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 27, 2012 1:01 pm  #3

Ah yes, this is the one Moftiss refer to a bit I think.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 18, 2012 6:02 am  #4

I have only just started- about 20 mi. in- but I already heartily recommend it. It is clearly a great source of inspiration and reference to Moftiss, as well as very diverting in its own right ( so far veering towards comic, with clear "Sherlock" parallels). I hope people here see it so it can be discussed!
For those in the US who have Amazon Prime- the movie can be streamed on your computers for free.

December 10, 2012 5:14 pm  #5

My DVD's just arrived today - yay!   
I'm looking forward to watching it tonight - I've still got to do a lot of knitting for Christmas - so my socks hopefully won't bore me too much while watching this movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 10, 2012 9:14 pm  #6

Though I have to admit that I fell asleep occasionally while watching - not because the film was boring but because I was utterly tired  - I can assure you: That.Was.Amazing.
Every 30 seconds I would jump and squeal because of the references to our Sherlock. When I'll have more time I'd make a list. The film is so funny and witty and well acted - it's a pity that it isn't more well-known - it'd  absolutely derserve it! So - if you can get your hands on it - watch it!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 15, 2012 9:25 pm  #7

Here are just some sentences from the first minutes that might ring a bell.
I'm not sure whether they are all canon - in case they were they wouldn't be notable of course...
But I'm enjoying them anyway:

"The criminal class has lost all enterprise and originality."

"Mrs. Hudson - there is something missing from my desk." - "Missing?" - "Something very crucial." - "What?" - "Dust."

"How I envy you your mind, Watson." - "You do?" - "It's placid...My mind rebels against stagnation. It's like a racing engine tearing itself to pieces..."

"Madame says you are shorter than she thought...she's great admirer of yours. She has read every story."

"Tchaikovsky...women...not his glass of tea." -  SH: "I'm not a free man." - "But you are a bachelor!" - "A bachelor living with another bachelor for the last five years..." - "You mean - you and Doctor Watson? He..is your glass of tea?"

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 15, 2012 9:26 pm  #8

Ah, thank you for sharing this, it is both hilarious and insightful 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 15, 2012 9:33 pm  #9

I think I'll have to watch that one again. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2012 10:29 pm  #10

Ah, I forgot that one on my birthday wishlist. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 16, 2012 2:42 am  #11

I couldn't find this online, so I'm going to get it from the library. All this talk has got me curious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 20, 2013 11:52 am  #12

Oh, I do love this film! Watching it again (as it's snowing like mad right away, preventing me from outside activities).
Here's that scene Marc Gatiss once declared to be his favourite:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 20, 2013 12:11 pm  #13

Wonderful. Have to watch that one again. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 20, 2013 7:15 pm  #14

I agree the title is misleading, but it was a huge inspiration for our Sherlock show as there were so many paralells, which was kind of surprising. I thought it was okay overall, though I prefer our Sherlock, and even Jeremy Brett's, better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

February 9, 2013 3:06 am  #15

i watched this last night.

billy wilder only made at least three of the greatest movies ever, Double Indemnity (perfection), The Apartment, and lost weekend (this, days of wine&roses with jack lemmon & lee remick & Prime Suspect: the final act THE most harrowing portrayals of alcoholism, for me), so it's surprising i never saw it. it was bawdier than i expected, i was tired but it kept me up, i see it paralells the closest to OUR favorite. cool.  

February 10, 2013 10:12 am  #16

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh, I do love this film! Watching it again (as it's snowing like mad right away, preventing me from outside activities).
Here's that scene Marc Gatiss once declared to be his favourite:

Thank you for the screencaps, this was my favourite bit.

(Such a clever little bit of screenwriting/acting.)

Last edited by Mnemosyne (February 10, 2013 10:13 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 23, 2013 6:14 pm  #17

I'm barely 30 minutes into it, I'm enjoying it a lot. Watson in Swan Lake made me laugh so much. Priceless! One of my favorite movies is by him : Some like it hot (though I'm not a Marylin fan in general).

May 7, 2013 6:47 am  #18

Interesting article on the film by an obsessed writer:

http://www.jonathancoewriter.com/oddsAndends/diaryOfAnObsession.html 

December 8, 2013 5:51 pm  #19

Tonight on ARTE 8.15 pm.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 14, 2014 9:44 pm  #20

Love this film, such an underrated classic :D

Board footera