BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 12:09 pm  #121

Re: Questions about TFP

TheOtherOne wrote:

Based on how Eurus is depicted in TFP, it is not feasible for her to have role played the other three characters in TST and TLD (bus lady, therapist and Faith Smith).

In TFP, it is clear that she is someone who has no empathy or emotions. Throughout her locked room puzzles she even asks Sherlock and Mycroft etc. to give her verbal explanation of their emotional state so she can gauge their levels of anxiety. She cannot tell what is beautiful or painful either.

Therefore, how could she possibly dress up as someone beautiful that she knows John would fall for, engage in a text conversation/ affair for a prolonged period (emotions), become a therapist who is talking through someone's emotional problems as well as able to spot and understand non-verbal queues (such as John looking at imaginary Mary), or act as Faith Smith who was, as she pretended, emotionally traumatised and suicidal? Isn't that like... weird?

Based on how Euros is depicted in TFP , is it not possible for her to have just told everyone from Hope to Moriarty to Magnussen what to do so she could RPG with Sherlock ?

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 17, 2017 12:09 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 17, 2017 12:11 pm  #122

Mothonthemantel wrote:

RPG with Sherlock

...Aaaand we have the best title for TFP now!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 17, 2017 12:12 pm  #123

I think it's suggested that she experiemented on her guards/nurses (and possibly, at the previous facility, other patients/inmates), and that although she wasn't empathetic, was aware enough of human emotions to be able to manipulate people expertly.    She acted the emotions.   Yes, it's weird, and not entirely believable, but I don't think she's an entirely believable character anyway, for various reasons.  She works within the story, though. 

I have to imagine that Sherlock's parents didn't ever mention the sister, because he was so traumatised after what happened and didn't accept her existence (realistically, they might have got some help for him, but ... they didn't, or it didn't work).  I'm surprised that he didn't come across anything to do with Victor's disappearance (some children who have disappeared are still talked about, many years later). 

January 17, 2017 12:15 pm  #124

ewige wrote:

@Naavy,
I'd say Sherlock moves upstairs while John and Rosie share Sherlock's old room for a while. It's more practical with a small baby anyway.
By the time Rosie is old enough to need her own room, John and Sherlock could seize the day and just share Sherlock's old room while leaving the upstairs bedroom for Rosie.
It would be also possible for John or Sherlock to kip on the sofa. Theoretically.

Of course, and we even can imagine the nanny (not babysitter, but the real nanny, living with the family), in mrs Hudson's spare room, or in 221 C, but it is really forced - Sherlock may not wish to change the room, or share his bedroom with John (they both deserve a privacy). John would be not fond of finding body parts besides his baby's milk in the fridge, and strange Sherlock's clients in the next room - all these stories, and all these bacterias ;] 
I can imagine Jonh, living in the next building, or somewhere really close.

January 17, 2017 12:21 pm  #125

I suppose it's one thing to understand and have empathy for other people's emotions... and another to pretend to show them? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2017 12:29 pm  #126

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I suppose it's one thing to understand and have empathy for other people's emotions... and another to pretend to show them? 

Yes, I think that was what was going on.  One of her "superpowers" was being an amazing actress.  As I say, she could have got information (on how people operate, think and feel) from the people around her, but also maybe from books, films, etc.  It's interesting that she doesn't mimic Faith exactly - the real Faith doesn't really show any outward signs of distress in the way Eurus' version does.  But she "knows" Sherlock from when he was a child, and knows he's a softie at heart and appeals to that. 

January 17, 2017 12:47 pm  #127

Naavy wrote:

Of course, and we even can imagine the nanny (not babysitter, but the real nanny, living with the family), in mrs Hudson's spare room, or in 221 C, but it is really forced - Sherlock may not wish to change the room, or share his bedroom with John (they both deserve a privacy). John would be not fond of finding body parts besides his baby's milk in the fridge, and strange Sherlock's clients in the next room - all these stories, and all these bacterias ;] 

You seriously can't affort a live in nanny in London. It would be also difficult to find one for a single father.
Don't know about fathers staying at home with their young children, tho - what are the possibilities in the UK?
The most plausible solution for me is that John stays at home (in 221b) with Rosie for several months until she is one year old, then he goes back to work and Rosie is in a child care during the day. That's what poeple do when they have a child, isn't it?
Meanwhile Mrs. H. can babysit if something urgent or unexpected comes up. Molly can help too on occasion, she's the godmother after all.
And my headcanon says that sharing a bedroom is no hardship for Sherlock and John after they have healed emotionally and taken the next step

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 12:48 pm)

-----

January 17, 2017 1:27 pm  #128

Hello everybody
I'm a fan of Sherlock (Russian) and came here to ask a question (sorry for 4.03, by the way) Could you somehow explain in clear words that Moriarty said of his guards. Our television is not able to translate it. Here is some metaphor or something like that. Thank you. Sorry for bad english, I think it's bad, I learned it in school.

Sorry, i don't know where to ask it, delete my message if it's forbidden.
Thanx

Last edited by defenceletto (January 17, 2017 1:27 pm)

January 17, 2017 1:28 pm  #129

ewige wrote:

Naavy wrote:

You seriously can't affort a live in nanny in London. It would be also difficult to find one for a single father.
Don't know about fathers staying at home with their young children, tho - what are the possibilities in the UK?
The most plausible solution for me is that John stays at home (in 221b) with Rosie for several months until she is one year old, then he goes back to work and Rosie is in a child care during the day. That's what poeple do when they have a child, isn't it?
Meanwhile Mrs. H. can babysit if something urgent or unexpected comes up. Molly can help too on occasion, she's the godmother after all.
And my headcanon says that sharing a bedroom is no hardship for Sherlock and John after they have healed emotionally and taken the next step

I do no know, how it looks in UK, but I imagine, the nanny could be a au-par, a nursing student, or a retired nurse, taking care for a child partly in return for inhabitancy (is this the right word?) - in that variant John, of course, keeps the house. It would be not only about John and Sherlock, Rosie would be the most vulnerable part of the arrangement. I imagine visiting "uncle Sherlock" as the favorite part of her live (and his maybe too), but living in one house with these two men, discussing mostly murders, would create rather unhealthy emotional atmosphere for the little child.

January 17, 2017 1:32 pm  #130

defenceletto wrote:

Hello everybody
I'm a fan of Sherlock (Russian) and came here to ask a question (sorry for 4.03, by the way) Could you somehow explain in clear words that Moriarty said of his guards. Our television is not able to translate it. Here is some metaphor or something like that. Thank you. Sorry for bad english, I think it's bad, I learned it in school.

Sorry, i don't know where to ask it, delete my message if it's forbidden.
Thanx

Your question is fine! 

Moriarty says "Do you like my boys? This one's got more stamina, but he's less caring in the afterglow".  He's implying he has sex with them, but I think he's mainly saying it just to discomfit people.  And because he's Moriarty.

Last edited by Liberty (January 17, 2017 1:33 pm)

January 17, 2017 1:35 pm  #131

Naavy wrote:

I imagine visiting "uncle Sherlock" as the favorite part of her live (and his maybe too), but living in one house with these two men, discussing mostly murders, would create rather unhealthy emotional atmosphere for the little child.

When you switch normal TV broadcast on, it´s mostly murders too.

Also, I believe John and Sherlock can control themselves around the child - like most policemen, army men, surgeons and other people whose job can be considered "bloody".

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2017 1:36 pm  #132

Liberty wrote:

"Do you like my boys? This one's got more stamina, but he's less caring in the afterglow".  He's implying he has sex with them, but I think he's mainly saying it just to discomfit people. 

Thank you to our translation it sounds crazy, but we thought some slash here

January 17, 2017 1:51 pm  #133

nakahara wrote:

Also, I believe John and Sherlock can control themselves around the child - like most policemen, army men, surgeons and other people whose job can be considered "bloody".

Good point!. Though I have the big doubts about Sherlock, controlling his joy, when he has some interesting murder to solve.

So we switch to the mode "her first crime scene" when she is 9 months old? I read once fanfiction like that, it was nice and funny

January 17, 2017 3:05 pm  #134

nakahara wrote:

Naavy wrote:

I imagine visiting "uncle Sherlock" as the favorite part of her live (and his maybe too), but living in one house with these two men, discussing mostly murders, would create rather unhealthy emotional atmosphere for the little child.

It is hard to control yourself if your living room is office for clients. I know it is nice to have all of them in Baker street but it is not good for any of them. And it is more natural for John to share room with Rosie  then Sherlock, she will need him even at night for some time. 

The variant with au- pair and John staying in his house seems to me the most realistic. Baker street can never be adapted suitable for child  and it means sustain suitable for child despite of activities that happen there , I cannot imagine it. It would not be Sherlock any more. 

January 17, 2017 3:24 pm  #135

Preceja wrote:

The variant with au- pair and John staying in his house seems to me the most realistic. Baker street can never be adapted suitable for child  and it means sustain suitable for child despite of activities that happen there , I cannot imagine it. It would not be Sherlock any more. 

I'm sorry but have you actually tried to get an au-pair before?
Rules differ slightly across countries but here in Austria au-pairs get about EUR 500 per month, work 20 hours a week for that and are expected to do sight seeing and language classes. Food and lodging included.
Au-pairs are not cheap and they don't do parent's work really. It's still a luxury to have one for two children when both parents have a full-time job. John's situation is very different.
I'm sorry to say that but an au-pair is not realistic at all in this scenario.

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 3:26 pm)

-----

January 17, 2017 3:34 pm  #136

You guys should read "Nature and nurture". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2017 3:37 pm  #137

Vhanja wrote:

Do explain!
(Since I haven't read it and don't get the joke )

-----

January 17, 2017 3:39 pm  #138

ewige wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Do explain!
(Since I haven't read it and don't get the joke )

It´s a very nice parentlock fiction, probably the best of the "genre".

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2017 3:39 pm  #139

Most amazing, heartwarming, curl-your-toes-awesome (and also actuallyt the most popular) Johnlock fanfic where Sherlock and John raises a baby (which happens to be Sherlock's clone) in 221b. 

Just to say that it's doable. 

Last edited by Vhanja (January 17, 2017 3:39 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2017 3:42 pm  #140

500 EU a month would be very, very cheap for childcare here in the UK!  Nurseries are very expensive.  But people do afford them - you just have to.  GP salaries are a lot higher than the national average.  There might well be death in service benefits from Mary's death.  Possibly John could get paternal leave for a while.  And Sherlock could help out with childcare sometimes - he seems quite competent, and much better placed than Molly to do so.  The only difficulty would be when they both have to go on a case at once. 

But to be honest, I don't think that's really planned through or relevant - I think we're just left to assume Rosie will be looked after, and Sherlock and John will continue their adventures.

Board footera