BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2017 6:32 pm  #221

Re: Questions about TFP

Yes, the same song, the same place with the same grave stones.

Liberty wrote:

Thinking of it ... she kind of gives Sherlock another chance to save "Redbeard"(with John standing in!) too (even if that isn't her goal!).

This is a beautiful thought.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 19, 2017 6:43 pm  #222

ewige wrote:

Just wondering: the words of the song, are they from the canon story "The Musgrave Ritual"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2017 6:51 pm  #223

Schmiezi wrote:

ewige wrote:

Just wondering: the words of the song, are they from the canon story "The Musgrave Ritual"?

No, it's something completely different, see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_of_the_Musgrave_Ritual

I wonder how it was possible for Sherlock to decipher Eurus' song! The thing he did with the tomb stones didn't make any sense!

-----

January 19, 2017 6:54 pm  #224

Well it did.
But as Liberty said:  how could the same song lead both to Victor in the well and Eurus in the bedroom?
Oh I'm sorry for being stupid, I just got it...the song led to the well, but the gravestones led to the bedroom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 7:04 pm  #225

The song didn't lead to the well at all, or young Sherlock would have found Victor even all those years back. He tried to decipher the song and it didn't make any sense, it was about digging a hole by a tree, you know. He dug and dug and nothing was there.

Adult Sherlock deciphered the song with the key from the tomb stones (HOW???) and realized he had to come up to Eurus' room. I guess she would have let people save Victor if Sherlock played with her a bit.

Last edited by ewige (January 19, 2017 7:05 pm)

-----

January 19, 2017 7:07 pm  #226

Oh, I see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 7:11 pm  #227

Yes, my feeling was that the song had never lead to Victor/John - it lead to Eurus. 

Adult Eurus gives him another clue ("no one") which leads him to the graveyard.   He numbers each word of the song, and then picks out the words with the numbers which correspond to the fake dates on the gravestones, and that's what gives him the answer. 

So I presume if young Sherlock had solved it, Eurus would have helped him save Victor, just as she helped him save John.  I think it only just dawned on my today that the song had always led to Eurus, not to Redbeard/Victor.

January 19, 2017 7:13 pm  #228

Well I had thought the gravestones led the way, but of course, yes, they were just the code for the song word order.

January 19, 2017 7:30 pm  #229

The song was the cipher, the gravestones were the key.  I suppose it was too hard for little Sherlock without a further clue, and it looked as if even adult Sherlock might have been stuck without the no one/Nemo clue that Eurus gave him.  (I suppose she thought that through - she really, really wanted him to solve it). 

And we were shown the gravestones earlier, so maybe could have guessed that they played a part. I love solving puzzles, though, and wouldn't it have been great if they'd given us the whole song, and the details about the house, maybe a floorplan, pictures of the gravestones, etc., and given us a while to see if we could work it out?  I wouldn't have got the "no one" clue, but it would have been to try!  Of course, it would have completely disrupted the pacing of the episode, so never mind!

January 19, 2017 7:52 pm  #230

I remember smiling in the cinema and thinking:  ah, that's why the dates were wrong on the gravestones.

January 19, 2017 8:08 pm  #231

stoertebeker wrote:

Seems my English is too bad, to make myself understandable. 

Or my, to understand

But actually, I think, you have skipped the part of your argumentation, and I was too distracted this moment (too noisy around :/  ), and understood you wrong - it could happen in every language.
Now I can focus, and, as I understand, in your opinion she was ready to let them die, if they turned out to be not clever enough. I think, she really wanted them alive (thus your "yes" looks very misleading), and the risk, she took, was too big.

Liberty wrote:

I suppose she thought that through - she really, really wanted him to solve it.

And poor Sherlock next almost thirty years kept training his mind, to be ready, if this situation repeats itself. And even did not remember, why

January 19, 2017 8:34 pm  #232

Liberty wrote:

Adult Eurus gives him another clue ("no one") which leads him to the graveyard.   He numbers each word of the song, and then picks out the words with the numbers which correspond to the fake dates on the gravestones, and that's what gives him the answer. 

Hmmm... you nailed it why this scene seems to be such a nonsense in rewatch. The puzzle is aimed at somebody who can already read and knows how to count.... there´s no way a five years old child could manage the feat like this.
Even the adult Sherlock must imagine the text of the song written to crack the puzzle.
There was no way to save Victor with the puzzle like this, I guess.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 19, 2017 8:44 pm  #233

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Hmmm... you nailed it why this scene seems to be such a nonsense in rewatch. The puzzle is aimed at somebody who can already read and knows how to count.... there´s no way a five years old child could manage the feat like this.
Even the adult Sherlock must imagine the text of the song written to crack the puzzle.

It's not uncommon for three year olds to read and to count. Eurus managed, and Sherlock was above avarage too so I bet he even knew how to spell

-----

January 19, 2017 8:44 pm  #234

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Eurus could assess Sherlock's abilities on the basis of her own. And 5 years old child can already read and a bit count, it is not so rare.

January 19, 2017 8:45 pm  #235

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Well, highly intelligent children often learn to read at the age of four or five or even earlier.

We are talking Holmses here. Sherlock has most likely been considered the slow one because he was already NEARLY FIVE when he learnt how to read. Stupid brother! ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2017 8:50 pm  #236

Well, to me he seems like a very normal child, with no particular interest in reading....

Also, knowing to read is one thing, to crack the complex alphabet-numerology code is another...

Last edited by nakahara (January 19, 2017 8:52 pm)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 19, 2017 8:56 pm  #237

How do you know he had no interest in reading?!

January 19, 2017 9:10 pm  #238

nakahara wrote:

Also, knowing to read is one thing, to crack the complex alphabet-numerology code is another...

But not for Eurus. She most likely expected Sherlock to do both, too. 
The point is, she never stopped, even when it was obvious, that no one can break her code. 

January 19, 2017 9:18 pm  #239

Naavy wrote:

But not for Eurus. She most likely expected Sherlock to do both, too. 
The point is, she never stopped, even when it was obvious, that no one can break her code. 

Well, we were informed that Eurus is something like Newton - incomparable genius. Sherlock was quite a normal child in comparison.
He never had a chace to crack this complex code in time.... 

Last edited by nakahara (January 19, 2017 9:20 pm)

January 19, 2017 9:20 pm  #240

There is a short scene where young Sherlock is reading, before  "redbeard" runs by and they start playing

Board footera