BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2015 9:00 pm  #21

Re: The meaning of screenshots - pros and cons

And who determines what's 'over-analyzing theories'...? This is so subjective. What's over-analyzing for one person isn't over-analyzing at all to another person.
Apart from that, I personally couldn't care less if people expect something from the creators of the show because they've convinced themselves that something specific will happen in the show. That's their problem, not mine.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 11, 2015 9:01 pm  #22

I'm just giving my opinion on pros and cons of details in screenshots, as requested.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 11, 2015 10:19 pm  #23

For me personally, screenshots are a great tool to point out details in the set, the costume and the lighting, as well as sometimes the only way to get some background jokes. Also, especially in somewhat static scenes, screenshots can be helpful to point out the actors’ positions and what that might mean for the storytelling. I find them a bit problematic when they are used to evaluate a particular emotion from a given character or scene. Sherlock is blessed with a wonderful cast of very expressive actors who will often show a whole range of emotions in a single scene. Screenshots are, in my opinion, an inadequate tool in capturing all of those emotions and the subtle change from one to the other (I might make an exception for Mark Gatiss here; he plays Mycroft so wonderfully stoic that it can sometimes be a case of blink-and-you-miss-it). And then I am not even talking about the intonation of the lines or the background music. I feel any emotional analyses of a scene or a character based purely on screenshots is bound to be incomplete.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 11, 2015 10:31 pm  #24

I agree. One cannot analyse a character purely on the basis of screenshots. But this is not usually done. They can only ever be an additional means for interpreting what is in the script and on screen. However, details like the Vitruvian man may be used as an additional means of interpreting e.g. Sherlock's character. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 11, 2015 10:38 pm  #25

I agree very much with what you said there, Lola (as usual, it seems. ).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 11, 2015 11:13 pm  #26

I argued for 3 years that there was no way Darth Vader was really Luke's father because of course that black hearted sob would lie about something like that.

I was proved wrong.

It wasn't a big deal.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 11, 2015 11:42 pm  #27

SusiGo wrote:

I agree. One cannot analyse a character purely on the basis of screenshots. But this is not usually done. They can only ever be an additional means for interpreting what is in the script and on screen. However, details like the Vitruvian man may be used as an additional means of interpreting e.g. Sherlock's character. 

I think you are (very narrowly) missing my point. I did not talk about character analyses, but about the emotional analyses (of a character or a scene). There is a slight difference. For example I could do a character analyses about Sherlock based on his costume. Within the parameter “character analyses based on costume” screenshots might be quite helpful. They could illustrate the costume choices for different scenes in greater detail than might be possible without endless careful re-watching of a scene. To go on with my example, Sherlock has once stated that he never wears a tie or shirts that require cufflinks. Yet I can easily see that he does wear a tie at John’s wedding, but does he wear cufflinks? To answer that question and see what that might mean for his character a screenshot could show me details that are easily overlooked while the scene is in progress. But if I would want to analyse the emotions Sherlock is going through during the wedding, screenshots will likely give me a less complete picture than watching the relevant scenes. In conclusion, while emotional analyses will often allow me to get insight into a character, not all character analyses need to be based on emotion (of course one can combine different sources for character analyses to arrive at a more complete picture).

Last edited by Lola Red (February 11, 2015 11:49 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 12, 2015 8:02 am  #28

Screenshots are great for helping to illustrate what you're talking about (e.g remember in the scene where soandso was wearing blah, and leaned over whatshisname?). They're also excellent for appreciating all the details the production team put into creating an immersive set (like the one in the OP).

The art department on this show are just incredible and I definitely agree with finding ways to appreciate their work and find nuances we hadn't before.

I know what Vanja means though, sometimes people do go "I think this theory, and here's this screenshot". The "slow down" traffic cone is a great example of that. However, all the people who theorised that the "slow down" traffic cone was a clue had great fun with it, so no harm done :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

Board footera