BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2012 5:49 am  #1

now I am stunned - it's not Sherlock on the trolley?

Em, now I am confused:

Funny thing? If you do what the traffic cone says and slow down (watch the shot frame-by-frame) you’ll see that it wasn’t Sherlock on the trolley.

But we already saw a close-up of him on the pavement - how can it not be him on the trolley minutes later?

June 28, 2012 6:26 am  #2

Re: now I am stunned - it's not Sherlock on the trolley?

So I googled, and got this page. It's got a good shot of the man on the trolley (not Sherlock, clearly). That is not why I'm posting it. Why I'm posting it is the absolutely adorable little animated characters that are floating around... (try picking them up!)

http://boys-from-baker-street.tumblr.com/post/22583053267/sherlocks-trolley-as-he-is-wheeled-away-its

June 28, 2012 6:27 am  #3

.. I am not sure if we are allowed to hotlink but there is a picture at http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/21445276050/the-story-of-the-magic-traffic-cone-weve-had

June 28, 2012 6:27 am  #4

... that said, what's the consensus on this? Is it a giant clue, or just a poor use of a stand in?

June 28, 2012 6:28 am  #5

.. this is clearly a three patch problem - I am going to my mind attic, and come back later!

June 28, 2012 6:58 am  #6

Thanks for the interesting links, it's definitely not Sherlock on the trolley. I don't think it's just a poor use of stand in but on the other hand I can't imagine that the clue mentioned by Moftiss would be something you can only see in "slow motion". Assuming it's a clue that anybody could get who not only sees, but observes, this would be too technical in my opinion. But I admit, it's strange how the man is putting his hand in front of Sherlock's face as if keeping the onlookers from seeing it's the wrong man. But then John was there as well and had to be kept from recognising the switch. Hm, I've got to think about it again. Where's my violin  ?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 28, 2012 10:36 am  #7

http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/18103005087/ive-seen-the-pictures-of-another-person-on-the-trolley

Yeah, I really don't think Moftiss intended for us to all sit around watching the thing in slow motion. The clues are all there without the slow mo.

Although Benedict has already stated he did his own stunts, I'm pretty sure they would have had to use some kind of stunt man for the actual roof jump. Man on the trolley is clearly Benedict's stunt double. They probably filmed the whole thing with the stunt double falling, landing, being loaded onto the trolley and taken away, then did break up shots with Benedict on the floor and being loaded onto the trolley.

But somehow in the editing process they put the wrong shot in for that split second. They don't edit in slow motion either so they probably wouldn't have noticed. It's just a mistake. Well...that's what I think anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 28, 2012 10:49 am  #8

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/18103005087/ive-seen-the-pictures-of-another-person-on-the-trolley

Yeah, I really don't think Moftiss intended for us to all sit around watching the thing in slow motion. The clues are all there without the slow mo.

Although Benedict has already stated he did his own stunts, I'm pretty sure they would have had to use some kind of stunt man for the actual roof jump. Man on the trolley is clearly Benedict's stunt double. They probably filmed the whole thing with the stunt double falling, landing, being loaded onto the trolley and taken away, then did break up shots with Benedict on the floor and being loaded onto the trolley.

But somehow in the editing process they put the wrong shot in for that split second. They don't edit in slow motion either so they probably wouldn't have noticed. It's just a mistake. Well...that's what I think anyway.

Oh he definitely had a stunt double because I recall  an interview with Martin not long ago where he said something about talking to Ben's stunt double  instead of Ben. He suddenly realised it halfway through saying something & the stunt guy just looked blankly at him.

Yes, I put more faith in this being a simple editing problem. The logistics of swapping positions is just not possible to be credible in this case.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 10:57 am  #9

As far as I understood Benedict did the 70 feet drop himself on a slow wire:

“Doing the fall was really exciting,  he reveals in the documentary Sherlock Uncovered, which features on the DVD of series two (released on Monday 23 January). “That’s me up on the roof. That’s not me jumping off the roof, but that’s me jumping off a smaller roof onto a lower roof, which is about four feet. And then that cuts to me on a wire dropping about 70 feet, I think, onto a massive inflated bag.

“It’s fast, not terminal velocity as there’s a tiny break on it because they need to slow down before the end… but it’s pretty bloody fast.

June 28, 2012 11:16 am  #10

Yes there are videos posted here somewhere with that footage of him on the wire.
There would still be other times (maybe not on the roof) when a double would be needed. When I get time I will find that interview & see if it sheds light. I am quite sure it would be possible to search for info on a double anyway.
I shall endeavour to do so soon.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 11:32 am  #11

imane nikko wrote:

So I googled, and got this page. It's got a good shot of the man on the trolley (not Sherlock, clearly). That is not why I'm posting it. Why I'm posting it is the absolutely adorable little animated characters that are floating around... (try picking them up!)

http://boys-from-baker-street.tumblr.com/post/22583053267/sherlocks-trolley-as-he-is-wheeled-away-its

Is the animated character with longish hair walking around saying BORED who looks like a girl supposed to be Sherlock? Nice mascara Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 28, 2012 1:03 pm  #12

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 28, 2012 1:12 pm  #13

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Is the animated character with longish hair walking around saying BORED who looks like a girl supposed to be Sherlock? Nice mascara Sherlock!

As the PSOS shows, Sherlock has an uncanny sense of style for someone who's not bothered with nonessentials. I bet he sewed that red around his buttonhole himself, too. ;)

Re: the double

I guess maybe they wanted a shot of Sherlock being rushed into the hospital and had to shoot it later when Ben wasn't available? It is strange they didn't bloody his face up to match, though. Or ask him to match Ben's positioning on the stretcher.

Is it strange? Why is it strange?

Last edited by imane nikko (June 28, 2012 1:14 pm)

June 28, 2012 8:50 pm  #14

imane nikko wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

As the PSOS shows, Sherlock has an uncanny sense of style for someone who's not bothered with nonessentials. I bet he sewed that red around his buttonhole himself, too. ;)

Re: the double

I guess maybe they wanted a shot of Sherlock being rushed into the hospital and had to shoot it later when Ben wasn't available? It is strange they didn't bloody his face up to match, though. Or ask him to match Ben's positioning on the stretcher.

Is it strange? Why is it strange?

I think that must be it. I really don't see how Sherlock would have hiden and changed for another person from the sidewalk to the door of Saint Bart's.
I really find hard to believe all those "double" o "doppleganger" theories.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 28, 2012 11:10 pm  #15

I cannot imagine it being anything but a substitution of convenience while filming. Perhaps Benedict was overworked, absent or late with make-up the day they needed to complete the scene. All the clues have to be in real time, not in slow-mo.

June 29, 2012 5:23 am  #16

Also if you check out Final Problem's discussion they found that the "SLOW DOWN" witches hat is always at St Barts so it wasn't something the Sherlock crew put in as a clue. It was just there.

I think you'll find it's just a case of they couldn't use Ben because <insert any of many conceivable reasons on a set> and had to use the cut-away to the double.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 29, 2012 8:41 am  #17

Just to clarify: I also do not believe that the switch is a clue. It puzzles me nevertheless!

June 29, 2012 11:10 am  #18

deerstalker wrote:

I cannot imagine it being anything but a substitution of convenience while filming. Perhaps Benedict was overworked, absent or late with make-up the day they needed to complete the scene. All the clues have to be in real time, not in slow-mo.

I can't agree with this, deerstalker. The Sherlock braintrust knows it has rabid clue seeking fans that are likely to enlarge bits of video and obsessively debate every angle and implication in the off season.   Especially for this scene. Moftiss will be ripped royally by the faithful if it is found that the only reason a false clue/continuity error exists is due to budgetary shooting schedules. No this has to mean something. What I do not know.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 29, 2012 7:45 pm  #19

when I saw the guy on the trolley,  I could tell it might not have been sherlock.  why?  look at his left arm.  that's why.   how did the left arm  change position?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 29, 2012 7:49 pm  #20

Note to self: British word for "stretcher" is, apparently, "trolley". I won't show my ignorance by revealing how many of the posts on this thread I had to read before I realised Sherlock hadn't hopped on a streetcar somewhere...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

Board footera