BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2012 10:07 pm  #41

Re: Sherlock Holmes Quiz Thread

Irene--I  understand...and I think you are doing very well!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 6, 2012 3:20 am  #42

Great quiz idea!

3. Toby

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 6, 2012 4:02 am  #43

1. Explosions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 6, 2012 4:14 am  #44

Tantalus--Glad you like this quiz idea. It's all about  attention to detail, and you did quite well.    good job!!   your answer is correct.  you may play again in 24 hours after your post. 

tobeornot221B--  Nice try,  but Explosions is not what I'm looking for,  sorry!!   try again in 24 hours. 

If anyone wants hints,  I can only give one per question.  Let me know which question..   

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok  today  is  June 5, 2012.   I  have a quiz  with only  6  questions.   Therefore the rules for this quiz are DIFFERENT  so,  please observe carefully. 

1.  Each   player may answer ONE  question in this quiz  Per  24 hours. 

2.  If you get your qq  wrong or right, , I will tell you,  but you must wait  24 hours since your answers post, to try again.  (Ex: If you posted at 2 pm on your day,  then you cannot play again until  2pm  the NEXT  day)    If your answer is correct,  I’ll put it in my next update and that question cannot be answered again.   

3.  Yes,  you may do your research.   Watch the shows,  read the ACD canon stories,  etc.

4.  Do  have  fun with this one.   Any qq plz ask.     

Example—we have 3 players—QE,  AD,  and VR.   QE chooses 1  question  at 3 45 pm  and answers it.  QE cannot play again until after 3 45 pm  the next day--  that  is a full 24 hours.   AD   and  VR  answer  separate questions   within 30  minutes of each other.   AD  gets  his q wrong,  but  VR   answers correctly.   So,   when I update,  VR’s answer  will be in my update,   but AD’s will not be.   PLEASE NOTE>   AD  and VR   cannot play again  until  their 24 hours have passed.   THIS  gives other players a chance to play  those questions that were done incorrectly.   The  ones  that ARE  correct,  cannot be played again. 

This quiz is all about comparisons and similarities. 

1.   There is one main  similarity between BBC’s The Great Game and with  Hounds Of Baskerville episodes.   Can you name it?

2.   In BBC’s Hounds episode, John noticed a receipt for Meat Supplies  at the vegetarian restaurant.  The first  word on that paper has a connection to a name that is familiar to Arthur Conan Doyle (and his followers).  What is it?      

3.  There’s a dog  in  Arthur Conan Doyle’s  canon story  “The Sign Of Four��    and  in  the 1986 movie called “The Great Mouse Detective��   with the same name.   What is the dog’s name?   
Toby Answered by tantalus 

4.  What two writers of BBC’s Sherlock also write for Doctor Who? 
The three of them. Moffat is the one with most episodes, Gatiss has written a few and Thompson wrote, at least, "The curse of the Black Spot" which I casually rewatched yesterday   answered by  Irene Adler   

5.  There is one similarity between BBC’s Scandal in Belgravia  and Doyle’s story called  “The Priory School�� .   What is it?  (hmmm  what hint shall I give here?  Read the Priory school story,  first few paragraphs...)   

6.   In BBC’s  Great  Game,  there’s something painted on Sherlock’s wall above his couch, which he shot at,  which  sort of reminds me of a  Doyle canon story.   What is painted on the wall,  and what story  does  it remind YOU  of?   

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 6, 2012 4:18 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 6, 2012 7:21 am  #45

5.  There is one similarity between BBC’s Scandal in Belgravia  and Doyle’s story called  “The Priory School" .   What is it?  (hmmm  what hint shall I give here?  Read the Priory school story,  first few paragraphs...)

I think you have this confused. The first few paragraphs reveal a man who consults Holmes after travelling a long way on a train. After stating his case to Holmes, Holmes refuses the opportunity to attend to the problem as he has many other pressing matters in London to attend to. That however happened in HOUND not in Scandal.
There is however a similarity between the 2 stories, but as that is not revealed till way past the first few paragraphs, I guess I will leave this one to someone with more attention to the detail that I have obviously missed.

I do actually know all the other answers but just wanted this one clarified thanks.

Last edited by kazza474 (June 6, 2012 7:23 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 6, 2012 7:50 am  #46

6. A yellow smiley face (from spray-can paints) reminds me of The Adventure of the Yellow Face

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 6, 2012 8:05 am  #47

Clever girl; you've been studying I see.

Did you like the original story?

Last edited by kazza474 (June 6, 2012 8:06 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 6, 2012 8:13 am  #48

Um... Well...
I didn't exactly read it as such, I just looked up a list of SH books on Wikapedia (not so Clever... )

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 6, 2012 8:18 am  #49

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 6, 2012 8:22 am  #50

OK, now I know where it is I can read it on my kindle! I'll be back in a 10 minutes with a re-knowledged brain!

June 6, 2012 10:00 am  #51

More like an hour and a half but...

Yeah, it was very good, I loved the twist at the end. Definitely worth it!

June 6, 2012 10:14 am  #52

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 6, 2012 10:17 am  #53

June 6, 2012 6:12 pm  #54

kazza474 wrote:

5.  There is one similarity between BBC’s Scandal in Belgravia  and Doyle’s story called  “The Priory School" .   What is it?  (hmmm  what hint shall I give here?  Read the Priory school story,  first few paragraphs...)

I think you have this confused. The first few paragraphs reveal a man who consults Holmes after travelling a long way on a train. After stating his case to Holmes, Holmes refuses the opportunity to attend to the problem as he has many other pressing matters in London to attend to. That however happened in HOUND not in Scandal.
There is however a similarity between the 2 stories, but as that is not revealed till way past the first few paragraphs, I guess I will leave this one to someone with more attention to the detail that I have obviously missed.

I do actually know all the other answers but just wanted this one clarified thanks.

Okay, kazza, now I'm confused. Sherlock doesn't refuse Dr. Huxtable's case--he says he'll gladly consider it. And I think what the good headmaster does immediately upon entering the room is what we're looking for (I'm being vague 'cause I don't think I'm eligible to post another answer yet). Happens both in "Priory School" and in Scandal.

June 6, 2012 6:53 pm  #55

Kazza--  tantalus is correct.   I've reworded my  question to reflect that;  you brought up a good point.   

Tantalus--Since you know the answer,  I  give you permission to  go ahead and answer it now  if you wish to.   Yes,  I  know,  if i do  this for one person  then I'll do  it for everyone else.   sigh   what's a quizmistress to DO?  This quiz deserves answers.   LOL   

Molly---Great answer!!   Exactly what I was looking for.  Glad you enjoyed the story.   

Thank you all for your comments and playing!! 

Hmmm--  I wonder who will get question number 1 correct?   That IS a hard one....and I'm sneaky.   

Ok  today  is  June 5, 2012.   I  have a quiz  with only  6  questions.   Therefore the rules for this quiz are DIFFERENT  so,  please observe carefully. 

1.  Each   player may answer ONE  question in this quiz  Per  24 hours.  I  MIGHT make an exception.

2.  If you get your qq  wrong or right, , I will tell you,  but you must wait  24 hours since your answers post, to try again.  (Ex: If you posted at 2 pm on your day,  then you cannot play again until  2pm  the NEXT  day)    If your answer is correct,  I’ll put it in my next update and that question cannot be answered again.   

3.  Yes,  you may do your research.   Watch the shows,  read the ACD canon stories,  etc.

4.  Do  have  fun with this one.   Any qq plz ask.     

Example—we have 3 players—QE,  AD,  and VR.   QE chooses 1  question  at 3 45 pm  and answers it.  QE cannot play again until after 3 45 pm  the next day--  that  is a full 24 hours.   AD   and  VR  answer  separate questions   within 30  minutes of each other.   AD  gets  his q wrong,  but  VR   answers correctly.   So,   when I update,  VR’s answer  will be in my update,   but AD’s will not be.   PLEASE NOTE>   AD  and VR   cannot play again  until  their 24 hours have passed.   THIS  gives other players a chance to play  those questions that were done incorrectly.   The  ones  that ARE  correct,  cannot be played again. 

This quiz is all about comparisons and similarities. 

1.   There is one main  similarity between BBC’s The Great Game and with  Hounds Of Baskerville episodes.   Can you name it? 

2.   In BBC’s Hounds episode, John noticed a receipt for Meat Supplies  at the vegetarian restaurant.  The first  word on that paper has a connection to a name that is familiar to Arthur Conan Doyle (and his followers).  What is it?   

3.  There’s a dog  in  Arthur Conan Doyle’s  canon story  “The Sign Of Four��    and  in  the 1986 movie called “The Great Mouse Detective��   with the same name.   What is the dog’s name?   
  Toby Answered by tantalus 

4.  What two writers of BBC’s Sherlock also write for Doctor Who? 
The three of them. Moffat is the one with most episodes, Gatiss has written a few and Thompson wrote, at least, "The curse of the Black Spot" which I casually rewatched yesterday   answered by  Irene Adler   

5.  There is one similarity between BBC’s Scandal in Belgravia (The driver of the backfiring car) and Doyle’s story called  “The Priory School��   (The Headmaster/teacher).  What did both men do,  upon arriving at 221B Baker Street?   

6.   In BBC’s  Great  Game,  there’s something painted on Sherlock’s wall above his couch, which he shot at, and   which  sort of reminds me of a  Doyle canon story.   What is painted on the wall,  and what story  does  it remind YOU  of?   
  A yellow smiley face (from spray-can paints) reminds me of The Adventure of the Yellow Face  Answered by Molly Hooper   

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 6, 2012 6:55 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 7, 2012 3:29 am  #56

Tantalus wrote:

Okay, kazza, now I'm confused. Sherlock doesn't refuse Dr. Huxtable's case--he says he'll gladly consider it. And I think what the good headmaster does immediately upon entering the room is what we're looking for (I'm being vague 'cause I don't think I'm eligible to post another answer yet). Happens both in "Priory School" and in Scandal.

Tanty, what I meant was this :
" “My colleague, Dr. Watson, could tell you that we are very busy at present. I am retained in
this case of the Ferrers Documents, and the Abergavenny murder is coming up for trial. Only a very important issue could call me from London at present.
He was finding reasons NOT to attend to the problem unless it was of the utmost importance. Perhaps 'baulked' would have suited better.

Oh he fainted? Sheesh, I thought it was something exclusively similar. Quite a few men faint throughout the canon.

Last edited by kazza474 (June 7, 2012 3:29 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 3:48 am  #57

MEOW!!!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 7, 2012 5:18 am  #58

Insightful.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 11:29 am  #59

Yep. The fainting bit was the correct answer, I believe. I think kazza gets credit for that one--she knew it, she just didn't realize she knew what sherlockskitty wanted to know if she knew. Know what I mean? 

June 7, 2012 11:36 am  #60

Er...no!

1. Bombs?

Board footera