BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2013 1:52 am  #1

THE Correct Theory. Who gets it right?

As SH said, it is most unlikely that no one got close to the real answer of how Sherlock survived the Reichenbach jump from St. Bart's.

So here we go: settle on a given option or add your own. This vote will be sealed before Season 3 premieres, and then we can all laugh at our asumptions after the official revelation has been made!

Remember,

"Show co-creator Steven Moffat said there was a good explanation for Sherlock's survival - and all the clues were in the episode.

He said: 'It's all set up. We just want people to be in a frenzy of speculation.'

But he added that he would not be revealing any more clues, and added: 'We're going to be complete b******* about it.' "

How do you think Sherlock survived the fall from St. Bart's roof top?

October 3, 2013 2:05 am  #2

Re: THE Correct Theory. Who gets it right?

What if you think that more than one of those options happened?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 3, 2013 7:26 am  #3

I'll go for the soft landing, because there HAS to be a reason why John was supposed to remain where the smaller building was blocking his view.
Now, let's see S3E1 soooooooooooooooooooooon!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 3, 2013 8:11 am  #4

I think this is a fun idea, but I don't think all the different theories can be quite covered with a couple of answers in a survey... there are just too many possibilities.
How about everybody needs to write down their theory instead? Not necessarily in complete sentences, I think just jotting down the main points would be sufficient.

Although I'm not sure how you can state your theory openly if you've seen spoilers?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

October 3, 2013 8:24 am  #5

SherlockianDE wrote:

Although I'm not sure how you can state your theory openly if you've seen spoilers?

That's the point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 3, 2013 8:44 am  #6

I mostly agree with this theory:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhWfuw9Pqs

The video was published in 2012, so it doesn't involve any spoilers.
The only thing I am not sure about is the fake body. I think, it would have been to complicated to make a good disguise for a body. I think the man one the pavement was Sherlock, who somehow managed to stop his pulse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

October 3, 2013 12:59 pm  #7

I voted Baker Street Irregulars prepared a soft landing because I had previously explained my theory in another thread and I'm sticking to it. I'm copying it below:

=13px

Mrs. Watson wrote:

I don't know if this will make much sense but please read and give me your opinion. 

This is Sherlock falling (hope Yotube doesn't block/remove the video):

The sequence lasts 9 seconds but if you observe it carefully, it's actually the same part of the fall shown from different angles, as shown in these caps (please notice Sherlock's position in front of the windows):

So, we really only see 3 seconds (+/-) of Sherlock falling and two replays of the same action which in total is about 7 seconds of the footage. 

Considering the velocity of the fall we can infer that it takes Sherlock 4 seconds (or maybe 3.5 seconds) to reach the pavement... if he reaches the pavement.

The following cap shows the last frame of "falling Sherlock" that we see. When compared with tobeornot221b's photo, it's shows that he is at first floor level (second floor for us):

After this frame the camera cuts to "Sherlock" hitting the pavement. And I put quotation marks because we never see Sherlock's face. We see a body dressed as Sherlock but since the timing of what we see has been altered I can think of a couple of ideas here (especially considering we know Sherlock survived):

Sherlock jumps and it takes him about 3.5 seconds to hit the pavement. There are 3-4 seconds "missing" until we see him hit the ground. This can be due:

1) They just wanted us to appreciate the fall properly since it happens so fast so they repeated it from different angles.

2) "Something" happens in those 3-4 seconds that we aren't supposed to see. This can be:

2.1. Sherlock lands on a net (like the ones used in the circus) and then he rolls out of the net and falls on the pavement unhurt. Subsequently he or the people around him (who are there to help him) can i.e. spill a blood bag around his head to make him look hurt.

2.2. Sherlock lands on an inflatable stunt air bag which is immediately deflated and hidden by his "helpers" and he lays on the floor with fake blood around his head (most probably) or a dead body wearing a mask is placed on the pavement (I think this requires more preparation so it's less probable but still possible)

The real brilliance of this is that although John doesn't see Sherlock hit the pavement (the small building in front of the hospital blocks his view) WE DO. If we hadn't seen "Sherlock" hit the ground and we had only see his body when John reaches him it would be easy to say "well, he landed on an air bag and then they hid it, etc." but we do see him land. So they really have only 3-4 seconds to do whatever they do. But it's quite interesting that even when we get 3 different angles of the fall, the image of "Sherlock" landing is shot so close that it's blurred. Here is the video in slow motion:

What is also interesting is that the shot is so closed up that we can't see what's happening around him (only in front of him and with a very limited view). After that we see John in shock and the camera stays with John so anything can be happening around "Sherlock".

I personally think that the explanation is something close to what's said in 2.1.
What do you think?

PS: Excuse any grammar/spelling mistake. 

October 6, 2013 10:18 am  #8

The simple answer of my theory is "Baker Street Irregulars provided a soft landing."

The more complicated answer is:

Sherlock jumps off roof, lands on a giant net which was then rolled up and thrown on the truck. Truck drives away. Sherlock splashes fake blood on himself. Lies there. John gets purposely hit by bike. Concussed, confused, distressed. Comes over. Tries to take Sherlock's pulse. Woman pushes him away. Assumes he's dead anyway and believes the evidence of his own eyes. Sherlock is taken inside by fake paramedics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera