BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2012 12:27 pm  #21

Re: I feel like an alien - please suggest TV shows

The Tudors is pretty good. I haven't followed it, however. I began the series when I was home ill from work for several days, watched it for hours on end (since I couldn't get out of bed and do much else), and I think I got sick of it. I might try to pick it up again.

Game of Thrones! I don't think anyone mentioned that show. It can be a bit complicated but the plot twists enough to keep me incredibly involved with it.

I really like Revenge--definitely a puzzle.

Wow. I feel like a complete couch potato. I know there are others I could suggest, but I can't think of them at the moment. There is a brand new series here called Mob Doctor. I've only seen the pilot, but it looks very promising. Of course, I like a good medical drama and I'd like one which doesn't involve everyone sleeping with one another and completely unrealistic scenarios, a la Grey's Anatomy. Thus my love for House.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 20, 2012 4:30 pm  #22

24. And Lost. Science fiction? A bit, I guess. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 20, 2012 6:13 pm  #23

Banbha wrote:

The Tudors is pretty good. I haven't followed it, however. I began the series when I was home ill from work for several days, watched it for hours on end (since I couldn't get out of bed and do much else), and I think I got sick of it. I might try to pick it up again.

Game of Thrones! I don't think anyone mentioned that show. It can be a bit complicated but the plot twists enough to keep me incredibly involved with it.

I really like Revenge--definitely a puzzle.

Wow. I feel like a complete couch potato. I know there are others I could suggest, but I can't think of them at the moment. There is a brand new series here called Mob Doctor. I've only seen the pilot, but it looks very promising. Of course, I like a good medical drama and I'd like one which doesn't involve everyone sleeping with one another and completely unrealistic scenarios, a la Grey's Anatomy. Thus my love for House.

The guy who writes the Game of Thrones books was just a guest on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me....
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=35

September 21, 2012 1:07 pm  #24

Cool! I like that show, though I confess that I rarely listen to NPR these days. I used to when I had a longer commute to work than a mere 8 minutes. I need to read the Game of Thrones books. I've got the e-reader version on hold at my library, just waiting for others to hurry up and finish.

I can be that person who sees the movie before reading the book, which I need to be better about. As we know, it's far better to read the book first!

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 21, 2012 8:16 pm  #25

Banbha wrote:

Cool! I like that show, though I confess that I rarely listen to NPR these days. I used to when I had a longer commute to work than a mere 8 minutes. I need to read the Game of Thrones books. I've got the e-reader version on hold at my library, just waiting for others to hurry up and finish.

I can be that person who sees the movie before reading the book, which I need to be better about. As we know, it's far better to read the book first!

I've got the Wait. Wait... podcasts on my ipod and listen in the car. It's one of those things that you can interrupt and come back to.

I agree with you about book first, although I just happen to be reading Winter's Bone now, after seeing the movie a couple of years ago.

September 22, 2012 5:25 am  #26

I just have to jump in - I LOVE Game of Thrones!  Such an awesome show.  And I loved the books too.  I heard George RR Martin on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (my favorite radio show) and was so excited!  Although kazza I know you said you don't do sci-fi or fantasy so that's not helpful for your original question...  Just wanted to get in on the Game of Thrones love.  :D

I'm gonna have to check out Luther - sounds like a good one.  And I forgot about the Tudors.  I watched the first episode this summer and it was okay, maybe I'll check out the next one since it's on Netflix.

November 10, 2012 2:26 pm  #27

Does anyone here know the French series "Engrenages" - "Spiral" I think on British TV? I´d like to watch something really good and I love crime drama. What about Waking the Dead, is it worth watching? Thanks!

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

January 4, 2013 4:12 am  #28

I do understand about Game of Thrones.   I mostly really enjoy it,  but there is an uneasiness.

For me-  The Killing (Forbrydelsen) -  by far the best crime drama I've ever seen on TV,  and I
don't even mind the subtitles.   

January 6, 2013 11:40 pm  #29

I loved the first season of "The killing" (the Danish one of course). I start watching it on the plane, they had 5 episodes. I ordered the boxset from Amazon while I was waiting to get on the next plane. 
I'm not a fan of "Downton Abbey" but I ordered the boxset 1-3 season + Christmas special and the new Xmas special for my mum. They're in English of course, so I'm doing the translation for her. Two episodes every other day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

January 7, 2013 4:56 pm  #30

I won't go into detail but these are my favorite shows (they get the Drama stamp of approval for awesomeness) that I've seen from start to finish so I can recommend them. There's all sorts of stuff here, so if you like the genre, there's a good chance you'll like the show. Since you don't like sci-fi I took most from that genre away (except The X-Files which is my favorite show of all time).

Arrested Development, The (comedy)
Carnivale (mystery, sci-fi)
Day Break (detective, mystery)
Entourage (drama)
Extras (comedy)
Fawlty Towers (comedy)
Flight of the Condhords (comedy, music)
Frasier (comedy, drama)
Freaks & Geeks (drama)
Friends (comedy)
John Doe (mystery)
Lost (mystery, drama)
My Name Is Earl (comedy)
Office, The (awesomeness)
Oz (prison, drama)
Seinfeld (comedy)
Shield, The (copshow, drama)
Sopranos (drama, mafia)
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (drama)
Twin Peaks (mystery, awesomeness)
Wire, The (copshow, drama)
X-Files, The (scifi, awesomeness)

plus some shows I'm still in the middle of...

The Big Bang Theory (comedy)
Breaking Bad (drama)
Californication (comedy, drama)
Cracker (detective, drama)
CSI (detective, drama)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (comedy)
Dexter (drama, mystery)
How I Met Your Mother (comedy)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (comedy)
Modern Family (comedy)
The West Wing (drama, political)

Last edited by Dramagod (January 7, 2013 4:58 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 3, 2013 8:46 pm  #31

Dramagod wrote:

I won't go into detail but these are my favorite shows (they get the Drama stamp of approval for awesomeness) that I've seen from start to finish so I can recommend them. There's all sorts of stuff here, so if you like the genre, there's a good chance you'll like the show. Since you don't like sci-fi I took most from that genre away (except The X-Files which is my favorite show of all time).

Arrested Development, The (comedy)
Carnivale (mystery, sci-fi)
Day Break (detective, mystery)
Entourage (drama)
Extras (comedy)
Fawlty Towers (comedy)
Flight of the Condhords (comedy, music)
Frasier (comedy, drama)
Freaks & Geeks (drama)
Friends (comedy)
John Doe (mystery)
Lost (mystery, drama)
My Name Is Earl (comedy)
Office, The (awesomeness)
Oz (prison, drama)
Seinfeld (comedy)
Shield, The (copshow, drama)
Sopranos (drama, mafia)
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (drama)
Twin Peaks (mystery, awesomeness)
Wire, The (copshow, drama)
X-Files, The (scifi, awesomeness)

plus some shows I'm still in the middle of...

The Big Bang Theory (comedy)
Breaking Bad (drama)
Californication (comedy, drama)
Cracker (detective, drama)
CSI (detective, drama)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (comedy)
Dexter (drama, mystery)
How I Met Your Mother (comedy)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (comedy)
Modern Family (comedy)
The West Wing (drama, political)

^ woah. That's awesome.

This one is older, and a sitcom - but I also loved Frasier, even when I was little. I loved Niles Crane. His frou-frou nature and OCD.

October 4, 2013 9:43 pm  #32

Frasier is genius!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera