BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2013 12:05 pm  #1

leoninechelle from Texas... no, don't do it. Don't judge.

Greetings from Texas.

I'm not your typical Texan.

Perhaps it's because I have a deep-seeded desire to reach back to my English roots, or perhaps I'm just a die-hard anglophile.  Either way, I was weened on tattered, dog-eared books that bespoke of Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters, stayed up late with PBS British comedies, revelled in all things steeped in mystery and subterfuge and the chill of an English fog, and hearing the lilt of a British accent was a normal, comforting occurrence... even if it only came from the television.

When I first heard of BBC's Sherlock, I admit I was skeptical.  For me, Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes, and the thought of this up and coming British actor laying stake to the claim twisted my countenance in all sorts of displeasure and horror.  

And then I watched Season 1.

And then I watched Season 2.

And then I cursed the gods that there was no Season 3.

I stand before you, absolutely smitten, wishing I could mainline the brilliance, the pure magic of this show, this fandom, and all the lovely smut-ridden fanfic and art that roils within it.

I consider it an honor to even be counted among your number.

"His name is Joshua.  It's from the Bible.  It means deliverance."

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

"I speak Horse.  His name is Susan, and he'd like you to accept his life choices."

September 30, 2013 12:06 pm  #2

Re: leoninechelle from Texas... no, don't do it. Don't judge.

Aw, what a nice introduction... Welcome here and enjoy! 

PS: All my Texas knowledge is from the movie True Stories, so don't worry 

Last edited by Harriet (September 30, 2013 12:10 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 30, 2013 12:19 pm  #3

Don't worry, you're not the only Southerner in here (I'm from Tennessee ^_~).  We only care about your love of Sherlock in here, so have fun and enjoy!

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 30, 2013 12:56 pm  #4

Georgia girl here!  Welcome to the party.

I've been here 4 months today and have found this to be a great group.  No judgement.  Just a lot of *thudding* 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 30, 2013 2:29 pm  #5

Awesome intro!  I can empathize with a lot of it, I was practically raised on all things murder mystery, or simply just mystery, reading all manner of books in the genre, watching a good deal of programs (most of them british, 'cus lets face it, other than CSI - which I quite like - the British have way better quality mystery show programming...or just tv programming in general, I was raised on Monty Python also ) and of course, Sherlock Holmes...the very first sleuth I fell in love with, and for a while I also believed Brett to be the ideal Holmes and before watching BBC Sherlock, wasn't sure what I'd think of the modern day adaptation, and so after watching it...well, the rest is history .
Anyway, here's wishing you a welcome to the forum and I hope you have fun here! 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (September 30, 2013 2:30 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------

September 30, 2013 2:33 pm  #6

Welcome, what an epic introduction. I think you have found the right place. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2013 2:44 pm  #7

Welcome! I don't know enough about texas, so no judging here.

My only connection to your state is that I always mention it in my 8th grade English lessons when we talk about the differences between the single states. Somehow I always mention the gun law of Texas. Sorry!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 30, 2013 3:38 pm  #8

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here, glad to have you with us! I joined the fandom only a few months ago and just like you I really needed a shock blanket when I found out that there is no Series 3 yet. But this forum definitely makes the waiting quite enjoyable.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 30, 2013 5:11 pm  #9

Welcome to the ranks from someone a bit further North!    Like someone else said... very little judging here, mostly a lot of chatter and thudding.    All of us just sticking out the wait with other addicts...  enjoy!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 3, 2013 9:44 am  #10

leoninechelle wrote:

Greetings from Texas.

I'm not your typical Texan.

Perhaps it's because I have a deep-seeded desire to reach back to my English roots, or perhaps I'm just a die-hard anglophile.  Either way, I was weened on tattered, dog-eared books that bespoke of Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters, stayed up late with PBS British comedies, revelled in all things steeped in mystery and subterfuge and the chill of an English fog, and hearing the lilt of a British accent was a normal, comforting occurrence... even if it only came from the television.

When I first heard of BBC's Sherlock, I admit I was skeptical.  For me, Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes, and the thought of this up and coming British actor laying stake to the claim twisted my countenance in all sorts of displeasure and horror.  

And then I watched Season 1.

And then I watched Season 2.

And then I cursed the gods that there was no Season 3.

I stand before you, absolutely smitten, wishing I could mainline the brilliance, the pure magic of this show, this fandom, and all the lovely smut-ridden fanfic and art that roils within it.

I consider it an honor to even be counted among your number.

I would never judge anyone from being from Texas. And I hear Austin is a cool place, too! (Where in Texas do you hail from...if you want to provide that info?)

Besides, even if I was the judgmental sort (which I am not), I live in Winnipeg ;)

No, I think it's silly when people judge another person based on where they were born or live. I understand what you say about being comforted by British accents (me too) - although I think I love the Irish lilt best. I definitely watch more BBC than anything from my own country these days

Welcome to the boards! (I'm new too).

October 3, 2013 2:14 pm  #11

Thank you, Manticone.

I live north of Austin in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

Winnipeg, eh?  I lived in Vancouver and the lower mainland in BC for quite some time.  Lovely country.  I miss it.  Especially the trees.

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

"I speak Horse.  His name is Susan, and he'd like you to accept his life choices."

October 3, 2013 2:19 pm  #12

Hi! 

I'm new too

I won't judge you from coming from Texas. I like southern accents ;) 

October 3, 2013 8:19 pm  #13

leoninechelle wrote:

Thank you, Manticone.

I live north of Austin in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

Winnipeg, eh?  I lived in Vancouver and the lower mainland in BC for quite some time.  Lovely country.  I miss it.  Especially the trees.

My mum always tells me that she thinks I'd love Austin. So it sounds like you live in a very cool place!

My sister lives in Vancouver, and we were born in Victoria. I miss the forest and the mountains, myself. There are not many hills in Winnipeg, and I like to hike. There are river walk paths. Tons of rivers and forests - just no ocean or mountains. It has it's own...white-out, ice-village charm. Good for the holidays ;)

October 4, 2013 3:32 am  #14

Song, sorry to disappoint you.  I don't have an accent... that is, unless you make me extremely angry, and then I tend to drawl horribly. ;)

Manticone, that sounds lovely.  I'm partial to the mountains and the ocean myself.  I'm not picky.  I just want it all.

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

October 4, 2013 3:43 am  #15

leoninechelle wrote:

Song, sorry to disappoint you.  I don't have an accent... that is, unless you make me extremely angry, and then I tend to drawl horribly. ;)

I don't have much of a southern accent left unless I've been talking to other Southerners...which I've noticed brings it back for a while ^^  But I haven't lived in the South for almost 10 years now, so it has definitely faded.  Doesn't really matter because the people up here where I live can't place where I come from anyway (once person once accused me of 'hiding' my accent because they didn't think a southern accent sounded like that).  Fun with language XD

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

October 4, 2013 3:56 am  #16

sj4iy wrote:

I don't have much of a southern accent left unless I've been talking to other Southerners...which I've noticed brings it back for a while ^^  But I haven't lived in the South for almost 10 years now, so it has definitely faded.  Doesn't really matter because the people up here where I live can't place where I come from anyway (once person once accused me of 'hiding' my accent because they didn't think a southern accent sounded like that).  Fun with language XD

That is hilarious!  I can completely relate.  

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

October 4, 2013 10:01 am  #17

sj4iy wrote:

leoninechelle wrote:

I'm australian so to me, you would definetly have an accent XD.

October 4, 2013 11:43 am  #18

Song wrote:

Australian, hmm? Then I cannot be held responsible if I shamelessly flirt with you because Aussies are my favorite.

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

October 4, 2013 12:18 pm  #19

Song wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

leoninechelle wrote:

I have some friends from Tasmania and I went and stayed with them one summer years ago.  It was hilarious when they tried to speak in my accent (they couldn't do it at all).  It was even more hilarious when I asked them "Why do you add an 'r' sound in between consonant sounds like "I sawr it"?" and they had never noticed they did that XD  We had lots of fun that summer (winter for them).

October 4, 2013 9:14 pm  #20

Hello and welcome to the forum. The first member from Texas methinks! What do I know of Texas...it is BIG...Texmex food, oil, Dallas...You have got an accent...so have I , but I'm a Brit! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera