BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2013 11:42 pm  #241

Re: Recently watched movies.

Watched Star Trek (yes for Benedict). Enjoyed that (yes for Benedict).
Also watched 'Emperor' with Matthew Fox and Tommy Lee Jones which I assumed would totally suck since I'd not hear anything about it but was really suprised that I liked it. Although don't watch it on a small TV (like I did) because the location subtitles (i.e. Tokyo August 1945) are super tiny!

================================================================

September 24, 2013 12:26 pm  #242

I recently watched 'Dead Bodies' (of course because of our beloved Mr. Scott). I found the movie predictable and the twists were sometimes really hard to believe but Andrew did a great job back in 2003 and I couldn't stop myself shouting out 'that's what people DO' when his character's girlfriend died. :D

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

September 24, 2013 1:25 pm  #243

Watched 'Wilde' yesterday. It was a bit boring, but the acting was well enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

September 24, 2013 3:53 pm  #244

One of my favourite films!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 27, 2013 5:34 am  #245

I found a film on Netflix that was absolutely fascinating. It is called The Man from Earth.

The premise of the film is a university professor has decided to pull up stakes and move on much to the dismay of his friends and colleagues. They throw him a going away party that he ducks so they bring it to him at his cabin in the woods where he is packing up the belongings he plans to take with him.

Over the course of the afternoon he decides to tell his friends that he is leaving because they have started to notice that he isn't aging. He tells them that he is a caveman, or really a Cro-Magnon from the Paleolithic era and is 14,000 years old. Naturally they think he is kidding them so they play along and have a discussion about this.

The discussion goes in a few surprising directions. I like the whole thing all the way up to the last scene. The author of this rather provocative script took the last bit in a predictable direction that was mildly disappointing, but overall the film is excellent and quite thought provoking. I would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by AliceI (September 27, 2013 5:35 am)

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

September 27, 2013 1:17 pm  #246

I watched a really good French film called "The Intouchables", I highly reccomend it to those who haven't seen it! 

-------------------------------------------------------

October 1, 2013 11:35 pm  #247

I watched 'Pitch Perfect' the day before yesterday. It was quite amusing.
Also, I'm feeling followed by John Benjamin Hickey. That guy seems to appear in anything I've been watching lately.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

October 7, 2013 1:40 am  #248

So, so many to still catch up on, but by random chance, I came across a fascinating older one in the 'asian historical war/legend' movie genre.  From 2009, 'Mulan: Rise of a Warrior'.  Yep... that Mulan!  Of course it caught my eye purely by the title, knowing her from Disney, but quite curious how they did a real-life historical version. 

Needless to say, it's a darker more realistic war movie, with her taking her father's place as a soldier against increasing invaders, as usual, but doing a lot more with her character and adding more of a love story to it and a couple twists.  Absolutely beautiful cinematography, scenes, and relationships, plus an 'oh cool!' moment realizing that one of the characters with such a familiar smile/eyes, was such because it was Jaycee Chan (son of Jackie).  Recommend to any of you into that style of film.... 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 7, 2013 2:08 am  #249

Alicel: didn't know that fact about Spock (well, quite unfamiliar to Star trek to be honest, only seen Into darkness. Don't ask me why ) but it's really interesting!

Silvermoon: I thought the Untouchables was a good movie, but really overrated imo.

And Third Star is one of my favourite movies too. (I know I've already posted this somewhere on the board, but if anyone's interested here's a video I made on that movie on the song "asleep" by the Smiths:

Anyway, I never watch TV, only been to the cinema four times for my own sake since my son's birth in 2009: Harry potter 7 part 1 & 2, The Hobbit & ST into darkness (I still go to the cinema from time to time but I'm not the one who chooses the movies *rolleyes*) and I watch dvds but rarely so....

last movie I saw was at the cinema. The Smurfs 2. Boring. Hey. The joy of having a (nearly) 4 year old boy... Next one on the list is Planes, on Wednesday. Am overjoyed... cough cough (got bored to death when the day he asked me to watch Cars with him so I'd rather not imagine... On the other hand, the Croods, Hostel Transylvania and Despicable 2 were kinda funny)

Just like old times...

October 11, 2013 7:20 pm  #250

I went to the cinemas yesterday and watched 'Rush'. Wonderful movie! Brilliant actors, especially Daniel Brühl, I really hope for an Oscar nomination for him.
By the way, Alistair Petrie, who will be in 'The sign of three', has a small role as reporter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

October 11, 2013 8:25 pm  #251

New film Gravity is Amazing!  It would be worth watching for the visuals alone but it is also a very human drama.  Doesn't get much more human than the fight to survive.  Would not be surprised for this one to get a lot of award nominations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 24, 2013 10:49 pm  #252

Yesterday I went to the cinema with a friend to watch "Gravity". We enjoyed it very much and we both agreed that Sandra Bullock has done an excellent job in this film!!!

The begining of a great adventure!!!

October 29, 2013 7:33 pm  #253

I saw "Gravity" too last week, it was fantastic! The movie keeps in suspense from start to finish. Definitely one if the best (or just even the best) movies about space I've ever seen! 

The Road goes ever on and on...

October 29, 2013 7:44 pm  #254

Had to promise hubby to watch Gravity with him tomorrow, so he will join me in The Fifth Estate next weekend.
From what I read here I think I can look forward to both of them! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 29, 2013 8:15 pm  #255

I just watched Now You See Me. It was a very interesting movie...I still haven't quite figured it out. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 29, 2013 8:51 pm  #256

horserider99 wrote:

I just watched Now You See Me. It was a very interesting movie...I still haven't quite figured it out. 

I really enjoyed that one!!   Feel like I need to see it again to catch everything though....
Not much recent here, except finally finally got around to Argo, and Pacific Rim.  Both (with small technicalities aside) were awesome.
Anyone else enjoy?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 29, 2013 9:46 pm  #257

Still have to see Fifth Estate, but I am also very excited to go see Ender's Game next week.  Ender is on my list of all time favorite books and I so hope they did it justice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 29, 2013 9:50 pm  #258

Mattlocked wrote:

Had to promise hubby to watch Gravity with him tomorrow, so he will join me in The Fifth Estate next weekend.
From what I read here I think I can look forward to both of them!

Oh, I absolutely loved "Gravity", it was amazing. I was nailed to my seat from the first to the last minute, a really hypnotising movie.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 31, 2013 9:53 pm  #259

I agree. I really liked Gravity. Very impressive! At some time I almost got lost and felt dizzy. I could also feel her fear at times.
Although I don't like all those extreme long movies - this one could have been a bit longer, IMO. At some scenes I needed more time to really "get into it".
I think we might buy the dvd, but it probably won't be the same on a small tv screen....

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 31, 2013 9:55 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 1, 2013 2:39 am  #260

Russell wrote:

horserider99 wrote:

I really enjoyed that one!! Feel like I need to see it again to catch everything though....
Not much recent here, except finally finally got around to Argo, and Pacific Rim. Both (with small technicalities aside) were awesome.
Anyone else enjoy?

Argo was great.  I saw it with two former State Department folks who were acquainted with people in the actual events and who said it was really true to detail and the spirit of the event.  The story was very well-paced.

Haven't seen Pacific Rim yet but hope to soon.  Will see Gravity this weekend. 

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

Board footera