BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2013 12:39 pm  #81

Re: Noticed any mistakes?

I just watched TBB again and I really wonder about the scene in the tunnel when Sherlock tries to free Sarah of her bonds. Why does he even bother? She's sitting on an ordinary chair, right? Why does Sherlock not just knock over the chair, then Sarah would be out of the fireline. He might need some force to do so, and Sarah might get a bit hurt by falling on her side or something, but in my opinion it would work much faster and it really shouldn't be a problem.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 23, 2013 1:31 pm  #82

SolarSystem wrote:

I just watched TBB again and I really wonder about the scene in the tunnel when Sherlock tries to free Sarah of her bonds. Why does he even bother? She's sitting on an ordinary chair, right? Why does Sherlock not just knock over the chair, then Sarah would be out of the fireline. He might need some force to do so, and Sarah might get a bit hurt by falling on her side or something, but in my opinion it would work much faster and it really shouldn't be a problem.

This bugged me too.  I agree that knocking over the chair or even taking a couple extra seconds to gently set Sarah/chair down on their side would've been faster.

However, that would leave Sarah prone and tied to a chair...so it would be even harder for her to move if they all needed to run or dodge something else.  Also, she was rather handy inside the theater in the earlier scuffle when she hit an assailant with a stick.  So Sherlock might think it would be worthwhile to free Sarah so she could either run or hit someone.  

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

January 23, 2014 1:11 am  #83

Ahh the "German" tourist! Even the subtitles where wrong on the words and also they had a strong accent and spoke strangely...

About that general problem, as it also appears in Many Happy Returns, I really appreciated "Iron Sky" as they are using native speakers for each language.

Last edited by zeratul (January 23, 2014 1:12 am)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

June 21, 2014 7:56 pm  #84

Here is what bugged me a bit but really just a little bit. I don't think everyone has the A-Z and if they do, do they all have the same edition? Whenever going to London i go with my "Streetfinder" and it is ages old. But maybe i am the odd one  So if Sherlock would have bumped into me, bad luck, no A-Z but at least i could have spoken correct German to him, haha 

June 26, 2014 8:17 pm  #85

true, Lilith - I don´t have it either  and I didn´t see it in any bookshop or wherever. but I presume it´s a cheap edition not very much changing. and Sherlock was just...lucky to have met the right tourist couple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

October 4, 2014 9:54 pm  #86

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Maybe the so called German tourists, were actually English, but they thought Sherlock was German  and so spoke to him in bad German.

That actually made me laugh out loud but no, as funny as it is, it is wrong  Cause that "fake" German then mumbles something to his girl about "diese Engländer" which of course means "The English" 

October 4, 2014 11:54 pm  #87

I rewatched this ep on the plane the other day and thought of something: there's absolutely no food in 221B when Sarah comes over. What happened to all the groceries John bought?!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

February 1, 2015 5:32 pm  #88

I thought Sarah should have fallen over, too. She could have done it all that time Sherlock was struglling with the goon. Guess she was supposed to be frozen with fear or something.  But the think that bugs me the most in thisepisode, and that I'm surprised no one has mentioned, if that Soon Li (sp? sorry) absolutely did not translate any words of the cipher before she was killed.  There was no time where she could have done this in the scene. Last time I watched it I thought they might at least flip away from her for a minute after she comes out to the sounds of the drums, but nope, she immediately just stands there being creeped out and then the killer is behind her. Seems like a big hole to me.

April 12, 2015 6:17 pm  #89

Britigander wrote:

Perhaps inevitably I feel a little rant coming on about aspects of the 'science/technology' (both as depicted and as described) that are wide of the mark and simply need not be so....

Thank you so much! It's driving me crazy as well! For example the whole weight/sandbag thing with the arrow: I'm 99 % sure that the weight would fall all the way (probably accelerating on its way down) once it's heavier than the sandbag - without stopping a few inches above the trigger mechanism.

kazza474 wrote:

The show is not made solely for an audience of scientists, linguistic experts or music aficionados. It is NOT a tutorial. It is made for the public in general and especially for those with a love of the ACD canon. ....

If the last part was true, then Sherlock should come with a warning: Do not watch this unless you love ACD's Sherlock Holmes stories and know at least 2/3 of them by heart. Which would severely limit the audience, probably to the point of the show being unsellable. As you say,  the show is for  "the public in general", and that means that experts in all sorts of fields (nearly everybody is an expert in something) will be watching it.

It would be a sign of courtesy and respect towards this general public if Mofitt tried to get the maximum of details (of reality - not the number of steps up to the flat, etc.) right. Unfortunately, at the moment I'm wondering whether Mofitt have made any effort to get any details of today's world right - do they think we are all idiots? (End of my rant, back to the show.)

Why exactly is Sherlock breaking into Soo Lin's flat? So she hasn't picked up her yellow pages - how does that justify B & E (or would it be just E, given that the window is open)? Maybe she doesn't need a paper phonebook and can't be bothered to bring it to the recycling container. Maybe she spent the last three days lying on her sofa, thinking ;)

April 12, 2015 6:28 pm  #90

Kittyhawk wrote:

Why exactly is Sherlock breaking into Soo Lin's flat? So she hasn't picked up her yellow pages - how does that justify B & E (or would it be just E, given that the window is open)? Maybe she doesn't need a paper phonebook and can't be bothered to bring it to the recycling container. Maybe she spent the last three days lying on her sofa, thinking ;)

This has bothered me as well. It's too convenient,not to mention too obvious that it's done just to move the plot forward. There is absolutely no reason at all why he should care about the phonebook being outside - or even the flat being empty.

Same with the library book. Why would he care about a library book? It means nothing to the plot. He borrowed a book, so what? And returning to the shelf where the book belongs - why search through and take out the other books? What's the reason? It makes no sense at all. 

Apart from the portrayal of the Chinese villains, this is the main reason why I don't like this episode. It's simply bad writing. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 7:18 pm  #91

The woman involved in the case disappeared from her work and as apparent from her yellow papers, she didn´t leave or enter her door for three or more days (the significance of yellow pages here was the time the woman did not frequent her door which was measured from them, not the fact that she didn´t touch them). And since the two previous victims were found murdered in their flats, the fear that she would be found like this too is quite big - which makes Sherlock enter the flat without permission.

The book lay in mudered journalists room (or stairs) open and the date in it matched the date he was murdered, making the hypothese that he actually came running from a library a very probable one. The hypothesis is validated when Sherlock and John find the actual "death-threat" there, behind the row of books.

And Chinese gangsters were chosen, because free-masons, German, Italian and Irish (mostly anti-monarchist and anarchist) secret societies that were frequent in Doyle´s time are thing of the past now and cannot be used believably. But Chinese "triads" are alive an well, althrough they usually don´t involve non-Chinese persons in their dealings and only work between themselves (sorry to Chinese fans if this is somehow incorrect).

Not the most brilliant writing maybe, but I would not call it lazy.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 12, 2015 7:43 pm  #92

I didn't call it lazy, just bad. 

Nothing wrong with using the Chinese Triad, it's just the way it was portrayed that annoyed me. Too clichè.

I think it's a hallmark of the writer, tbh. He also wrote TRF, and even though it's generally a great episode (with the entire roof scene being some of the best writing of the series, IMO), it has some of the same shortcuts.

When John asks why not go to Mycroft for help when they're fugitives, Sherlock just replies: "A family reunion? Now is not the time" - which is the biggest copout of the century. It says absolutely nothing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 8:25 pm  #93

Wasn´t Sherlock so curt exactly because he wanted to hide that he actually involved Mycroft in everything, leaving John out instead?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 12, 2015 8:33 pm  #94

Hm, never thought of that. Good point. Oddest thing then is that John bought it.

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 8:38 pm  #95

Poor John was naturally taken in by all the high drama involving Sherlock´s arrest and escape and Richard Brook weirdness, I think it was understandable that it never occured to him that some of this can be deliberately arranged / provoked by Holmes duo. 

April 12, 2015 8:48 pm  #96

Oh, of course, I wouldn't expect him to. I just figured that he would've objected to such a lame excuse on Sherlock's part.

Anyway, slightly OT.

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 8:52 pm  #97

John confronts Mycroft later (or earlier? I don´t quite remember) and accuses him of betraying Sherlock to Moriarty and to journalists, so maybe he didn´t believe in Mycroft´s help anyway?

April 13, 2015 6:35 pm  #98

nakahara wrote:

The woman involved in the case disappeared from her work ...

But neither Sherlock nor John know that Soo Lin is involved in the case! Or that she has disappeared! The connection to the museum comes later...

I'm with Vhanja there: A plot hole big enough for a 747 to fly through...

April 16, 2015 10:27 am  #99

Kittyhawk wrote:

nakahara wrote:

The woman involved in the case disappeared from her work ...

But neither Sherlock nor John know that Soo Lin is involved in the case! Or that she has disappeared! The connection to the museum comes later...

I'm with Vhanja there: A plot hole big enough for a 747 to fly through...

You are correct, I had my chronology mixed up in this one. Sherlock entered the flat because it was neighbouring with the shop which two murdered men frequented and Sherlock was struck by the untouched yellow pages combined with the open windows of the flat which seemed suspicious to him.

Not that brilliant a twist of how to get Sherlock into Soo Lin´s Flat, but I do not see it as that big plothole either - it is rather a standard detective story gimmick.

Board footera