BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2013 3:25 pm  #21

Re: Benedict to play Hamlet on stage

Come fly the friendly skies! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 21, 2013 4:35 pm  #22

I think I will take the train!!!
Benedict in Hamlet? I will defintively try to see him if I can ...I'm keeping my fingers crossed now
And it would be brillant to meet others members

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

September 21, 2013 5:27 pm  #23

Count me in!
"I'll fly with youuuuuuu!!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

September 21, 2013 5:43 pm  #24

Well, it would be great if a lot of us could go actually, turning this into a larger forum meeting (given we all get tickets of course...)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

September 21, 2013 9:30 pm  #25

Bugger.  That's it.  I'm immigrating.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 21, 2013 10:39 pm  #26

Maybe they will give a forum-only extra performance. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 22, 2013 9:15 am  #27

@Susi: brilliant idea! maybe you could ask "The Boss" to arrange this for us :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 22, 2013 5:09 pm  #28

Sava wrote:

@Susi: brilliant idea! maybe you could ask "The Boss" to arrange this for us :-)

...and afterwards some sort of Meet and Greet...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 23, 2013 8:59 am  #29

SolarSystem wrote:

Sava wrote:

...and afterwards some sort of Meet and Greet...?

Forget chartering a plane - I would walk to England for that if I had to!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

September 23, 2013 9:06 am  #30

Extra performance, meet and greet, no problem. All this can be arranged. And some good walking boots for SherlockianDe. 

September 23, 2013 10:11 am  #31

To Ben or Not To Ben, That is The Question.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 23, 2013 6:57 pm  #32

*lol* @SolarSystem

September 24, 2013 4:33 am  #33

I have no idea how yet,   but I'll be there too.   

Sweets to the sweet!

September 24, 2013 5:49 pm  #34

Hey! I've just realised!...The Skull can have a starring role! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 24, 2013 6:14 pm  #35

Great idea. 

November 29, 2013 10:39 am  #36

Mr Cumberbatch's interest in Hamlet got me to read it in English and German in the last months.
Since then I read some secondary literature, too and saw some Hamlet movies on DVD.
The idea to have a story within a story is obviously old. The mousetrap scene is very interesting.
Do you see the parallels between Moriarty's planning the Bruhl-crime for Sherlock to play the villain in?

Obviously Sherlock managed to make me read Shakespeare now.

November 29, 2013 10:46 am  #37

This is great, Be. I have loved Hamlet for a long time because it is such a complex play that allows for so many interpretations. What a part - he has to be melancholic and mad and introspective and angry ... 

I did not think about the parallel between Moriarty and Sherlock but the mechanism is similar. Although Hamlet does this to catch his uncle who is a murderer while Moriarty wants to destroy Sherlock who is no villain. 

I am looking forward very much to this and I am prepared to do almost anything to get at ticket. 

November 29, 2013 11:00 am  #38

Sherlock is not a villain but Moriarty has maybe a different opinion on that one. Moriarty is the story-teller, the person who kind of wrote the skript. Remember them talking about "being on the side of the angels" and "you are me" and Sherlock asking "what are you". There is constantly some undertone of play-acting.  And Sherlock mentioned it in his note, too. I am a fraud.

November 29, 2013 11:09 am  #39

That is true. And Hamlet is not always "on the side of the angels" either. Think of him killing Polonius behind the curtain in cold blood and making jokes about it. 

November 29, 2013 11:14 am  #40

I love ths scenes when Hamlet is rude and witty, even Ophelia is insulted badly. Parallel to Sherlock's insults. I would like to see the play with Mr Cumberbatch in London.

Last edited by Be (November 29, 2013 11:15 am)

Board footera