BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2013 12:13 am  #41

Re: fic recommendations - non-slash

I just read these three. They're reasonably good - it's obvious English isn't the author's first language but if you can get past that the stories are quiet enjoyable

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 3, 2013 11:23 am  #42

I strongly recommend John Plays Hooky if you enjoy a bit of light hearted amusing fan fic.

Then I suggest reading everything else by the same author who has been keeping me entertained for several days now. Her fics are all really rather good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 6, 2013 6:53 am  #43

I can definitely recommend sevenpercent.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3926182/sevenpercent

She writes very fast and updates regularly, so it is no risk to start a WiP. There are some long fics told chronologically although they can also be read as stand-alones:

Collateral Damage
Sidelined
Crossfire
The Musgrave Blaze
De Frag (WiP)

The writing is very good, the cases are elaborate. Her Sherlock is characterised by SDP and other psychological aspects and the friendship with John is strictly non-sexual. She also has a long fic on the story of Sherlock and Lestrade the first two thirds of which are brilliant. IMO they get weaker as the background from series 1 and 2 is included as there is not simply so much contact between the two men. As a story of Sherlock's life before John it is very good. 

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8794590/1/Got-My-Eye-On-You

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 19, 2013 12:52 pm  #44

Wholocked wrote:

This one is rec'd on the Johnlock thread but is not actually Johnlock. It's platonic/friendship and a very good series.

The Green Blade
Summary: As a serial killer hits the headlines, the police are out of their depth and the next victim is out of time. With faith in Sherlock Holmes at an all time low, this is a case which will push loyalties to the limit. Not Slash.
Rating: Teen

I love The Green Blade It's definitely my favourite platonic/friendship fic. And I love interaction between Sherlock and Sally in this. I confess I've read it twice

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

September 19, 2013 4:30 pm  #45

Oh, I love all storys from vertiyburns. Her 'Heart in the whole' is my favourite Johnlock-story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 19, 2013 4:51 pm  #46

stoertebeker wrote:

Oh, I love all storys from vertiyburns. Her 'Heart in the whole' is my favourite Johnlock-story.

I love them all too. I can't decide if my favourite Johnlock story is The Road Less Traveled or The Heart in the Whole And verityburns is also great podficer... You should definitely listen to the podfic of the Heart if you haven't done it yet. She recorded it herself. It has 10 hours but I don't regret any minute I spent by listening to it

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -

September 19, 2013 4:54 pm  #47

I have, it's on my ipod .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 19, 2013 5:02 pm  #48

This is all very interesting but could you discuss this in our very popular Johnlock slash fanfic thread? This one here is non-slash. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 19, 2013 5:26 pm  #49

I'm sorry I got (a little) carried away. It won't happen again, boss, promise

September 19, 2013 5:35 pm  #50

OK, sorry!!

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 19, 2013 6:43 pm  #51

It's all fine. Have a look at the other thread, you will find lots of crazy Johnlockers there (including myself). 

September 19, 2013 7:31 pm  #52

I'll make up for it with a recommendation:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7901867/1/The-Rules-are-Wrong

Summary: Set immediately after The Reichenbach Fall. Sherlock's phone was recovered from the roof - the first breadcrumb in a trail of clues to help John prove that he was innocent.

Great post-Reichenbach story (but not exactly a reunion story) with John in the leading role. It contains very nice ideas, e.g. Johns own mind palace, he build to solve the riddle.

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 21, 2013 12:00 pm  #53

Has anyone ever recommended whitchry9?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664924/whitchry9#
Also on AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/users/whitchry9/pseuds/whitchry9

She writes an astonishing amount of fanfiction, I can hardly keep up with reading. Also, she usually only posts stuff that she's already finished and she updates very frequently, so don't be afraid of starting a WIP.
Many of her stories consist of only one chapter, but she also has quite a few series - for an overview, check her profile on fanfiction.net. 

What I also like about her stories is that she often explores very different angles, e.g. a few stories include a supernatural element, some are sick!fics, soome are character studies, a few have dark themes, some are humor.

(And if you like Cabin Pressure fics, she has a couple of those, too.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

September 30, 2013 6:27 am  #54

Just read this one called "it's going to take a lot to drag me away from you" (mmm Toto references) http://archiveofourown.org/works/436130?view_full_work=true

It's more about the relationship between Sherlock and Mycroft than anything else, and looks at the career implications to Mycroft when Moriarty learns of Bond Air.

It's summary reads: While everyone answers to someone, Mycroft answers for someone too. He answers for Sherlock; he always will, so long as it is in his power, and power is what he's most fluent in.

Very good characterisation :-)

October 6, 2013 1:55 pm  #55

Has really no one recommended our mod's lovely one-shot yet??? Shame on us. Here it is:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/677237

Flatmates - a drama in three acts
by GoSherlocked (aka SusiGo)
John wasn't Sherlock's first flatmate, he was number four. But the only one who stayed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 7, 2013 9:37 am  #56

Here's another non-slash little casefic gem 'A Dish Served Cold'

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6840775/1/A-Dish-Served-Cold

October 8, 2013 12:57 am  #57

Me film, very short but oh so good. Slightly different take on S&M's first meeting.

http://sherlockbbc-fic.livejournal.com/4777.html?thread=13740201

October 13, 2013 1:29 am  #58

Need a laugh? Or several?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7702952/1/Bored-Games

Try Mycroft, Lestrade, John & Sherlock snowed in with wine and board games

October 13, 2013 7:07 am  #59

That was simply hilarious thanks so much for recommending it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

October 13, 2013 7:26 pm  #60

Wholocked wrote:

Just read this one called "it's going to take a lot to drag me away from you" (mmm Toto references) http://archiveofourown.org/works/436130?view_full_work=true

It's more about the relationship between Sherlock and Mycroft than anything else, and looks at the career implications to Mycroft when Moriarty learns of Bond Air.

It's summary reads: While everyone answers to someone, Mycroft answers for someone too. He answers for Sherlock; he always will, so long as it is in his power, and power is what he's most fluent in.

Very good characterisation :-)

Thanks for this recommendation.  Yes, the Toto reference is a bonus!  It caught the essence of the characters very well and was a interesting elaboration on Bond Air.

I've now read almost everything by sevenpercent on FanFiction.net.  I've only slowed-down and re-read a couple becuase I will be sad to run out of new ones!  Does anyone else do that when they've only got a couple of chapters of a new book left?  Or only one book left in a series?  I don't think I'm alone in that :-)

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

Board footera