BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2013 10:47 am  #1661

Re: Series 3 discussion SPOILER THREAD!!! WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

Mattlocked wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

I really need to have a date. I have to know how to plan my holidays. If it airs around the first january, then I can't go skiing in france. At the moment, I don't know whether to book the trip or not. Please, Sherlock production team, hurry on! 

Now I should not believe that I actually read this. But I believe it. And I don't even wonder.
People are planning their holidays around a tv series - and I think it is normal!

Yeah, and even if I'm laughing at myself right now, I am serious.  
This is the thing I am the most serious about. This is the Sherlock fandom and it's really happening.

Okay, now I need some life advice. Does that really sound strange? Like, if I explain to that dude who's looking forward to seeing me again for half a year now that I can't go this time because I have to stay at home for a tv show? Does that make me sound like a .... freak?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 17, 2013 10:55 am  #1662

Well, I've been having the same thoughts, honestly. So at least you are not the only freak. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 17, 2013 11:55 am  #1663

This is a good suggestion. I know my priorities, though. I would want to watch it in the first place, everything else is of secondary importance. Sherlock series 3 is way more important than a one-week trip to france. But maybe I'm lucky and I won't have to miss neither.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 17, 2013 12:12 pm  #1664

I am very grateful that my husband is simply amused by my fangirling.  As a matter of fact his new hobby is making up names for Ben such as Benevolent Pumkinpatch and Burlap Cottonblend.  His goal is to never use the same one twice.  *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 17, 2013 12:37 pm  #1665

Mary, I can totally relate. Believe me, I'm so glad I'm practically never away on holidays for Christmas or New Year and I'll just know for sure I'd be home and able to watch it. And I'll never again make fun of people like fans of Harry Potter who camped outside bookstores before a new novel was released...

I really wonder how much longer we'll have to wait for that air date...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 17, 2013 2:58 pm  #1666

Mary Me wrote:

This is a good suggestion. I know my priorities, though. I would want to watch it in the first place, everything else is of secondary importance. Sherlock series 3 is way more important than a one-week trip to france. But maybe I'm lucky and I won't have to miss neither.

Tell that guy if he's really happy to see you, he will have to enable you to watch Sherlock...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 17, 2013 3:26 pm  #1667

Well, our conversation was like 
"Hey um, not so sure about New Year and skiing, my favorite series could air around that date, that would be pretty uncovenient. I might not come."
- "You serious?"
"I've been waiting for two years!"
- "Come on, you can watch it in the internet, what's the problem?"
"I don't think I can..."
- "Of course you do."
"I've been waiting for so long... do you actually know Sherlock?"
- "Might have heard of it. And you can still watch it in the internet afterwards"
"I suppose normal people would do that."

Sherlock addiction + wanting people to understand = bit not good.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 17, 2013 3:39 pm  #1668

"Might have heard of it" is a bit not good!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 17, 2013 3:42 pm  #1669

Mary Me wrote:

Well, our conversation was like 
"Hey um, not so sure about New Year and skiing, my favorite series could air around that date, that would be pretty uncovenient. I might not come."
- "You serious?"
"I've been waiting for two years!"
- "Come on, you can watch it in the internet, what's the problem?"
"I don't think I can..."
- "Of course you do."
"I've been waiting for so long... do you actually know Sherlock?"
- "Might have heard of it. And you can still watch it in the internet afterwards"
"I suppose normal people would do that."

Sherlock addiction + wanting people to understand = bit not good.

Even though I'm a fan of Sherlock, my argument would be on the other person's side, sorry ^^';;  I think I would have to retort with "Well, if you've waited 2 years, what's a little longer going to hurt?"

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 17, 2013 3:52 pm  #1670

@Schmiezi: Even though it would have been completely unfair to write it, but in my mind I went like "I'm not so sure if I'm so keen on seeing you again" 

@sj4iy: Well, that's a fangirl thing of course. I want to see all the excitement in the very first place. Like tumblr completely crushing down, gifs all over the place and all the messages and discussions only minutes after the first episode has aired. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 17, 2013 3:54 pm  #1671

sj4iy wrote:

"Well, if you've waited 2 years, what's a little longer going to hurt?"

To me, this argument is not convincing. If every single one in the fandom had to wait another couple of days/weeks/months/years - I could go with that. But if the whole fandom except me watched it I could not tolerate being even a minute later than the rest.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (September 17, 2013 3:54 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 17, 2013 3:56 pm  #1672

tobeornot221b wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

To me, this argument is not convincing. If every single one in the fandom had to wait another couple of days/weeks/months/years - I could go with that. But if I the whole fandom except me watched it I could not tolerate being even a minute later than the rest.

I totally agree with you. And not just because I'm only 10 posts away from the next user title.

September 17, 2013 4:10 pm  #1673

tobeornot221b wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

To me, this argument is not convincing. If every single one in the fandom had to wait another couple of days/weeks/months/years - I could go with that. But if the whole fandom except me watched it I could not tolerate being even a minute later than the rest.

I'm saying it from the non-fan's POV.  I would be upset if I made plans with a good friend far ahead of time and they canceled on me because of a tv show that they could always go and watch a day or two later.  Will I be watching the moment it comes on?  Probably not- I've already made plans to spend that week with my parents to celebrate Xmas.  Will it kill me to wait a few more days after waiting that long?  Nope- I'll get to see it eventually...I'll just make sure to stay away from the fan sites until I do get to.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

September 17, 2013 4:15 pm  #1674

Mary Me wrote:

@sj4iy: Well, that's a fangirl thing of course. I want to see all the excitement in the very first place. Like tumblr completely crushing down, gifs all over the place and all the messages and discussions only minutes after the first episode has aired. 

I totally understand, but I suppose you have to be a fangirl - or a fan of some sort - to understand this. It's not just the show itself (at least not to me), it's also this idea of being part of something, of enjoying this together with like-minded people who completely understand the madness. Isn't he a fan of anything you could compare this to?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 17, 2013 4:22 pm  #1675

sj4iy wrote:

[
Will I be watching the moment it comes on? Probably not- I've already made plans to spend that week with my parents to celebrate Xmas. Will it kill me to wait a few more days after waiting that long? Nope- I'll get to see it eventually...I'll just make sure to stay away from the fan sites until I do get to.

I'm deeply impressed by your moral consistency, sj4iy!

But I prefer being weak in character...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 17, 2013 4:39 pm  #1676

SolarSystem wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

I totally understand, but I suppose you have to be a fangirl - or a fan of some sort - to understand this. It's not just the show itself (at least not to me), it's also this idea of being part of something, of enjoying this together with like-minded people who completely understand the madness. Isn't he a fan of anything you could compare this to?

I love the show, and I'm a very big fan of it...but there's no tv show, movie, play or book that I would cancel an engagement with a friend for.  Real life always trumps entertainment for me, no exceptions.  Entertainment is there for when I have nothing better to do...not to replace things I could do.  And I say this as a stay-at-home mother and as someone who lives pretty far from my family and many of my old friends.  There's absolutely nothing I'd rather do than go down and spend a night hanging out with my best friend from college drinking coffee and talking, because it's something we only get to do once or twice a year.  Same thing with my family.  TV is great, but they can't compare with the fun I have spending time with the people I love.

September 17, 2013 4:39 pm  #1677

SolarSystem wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

That is exactly what I mean! Feeling that you are part of something greater, having people with a similiar mind to go crazy about it and all sorts! This is something I would never want to miss. Even if that excitement will last for a very long time, I don't want to return at home and feel like I'm too late to the party.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 17, 2013 4:58 pm  #1678

I don't think fandom should interfere with real life but I also think it can genuinely be a part of it.  For example, holding viewing parties with like minded fans or going to cons. 
I wouldn't cancel plans for. Sherlock but most of my loved ones wouldn't knowingly try to make plans that conflict with it!  😊

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 17, 2013 5:01 pm  #1679

I'm already prepared for if it aired the day I'm coming back from hol...I'll just stay off line until I've seen it on catch up the next day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 17, 2013 5:16 pm  #1680

Well, I'm not cancelling anything, I only have to decide what to put in the first place. If I'm not going on that trip around New Year, then I will do so in my easter holidays.
For me, there has never been a problem with coordinating Sherlock and my real life.
I have the luck to see my family every day and to have the chance to meet with friends whenever I feel like it. If I make plans, regardless of who's involved, then I stick to them. And my current plan is to watch Sherlock on some day in the new year, what could be possibly wrong with that. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera