BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2012 1:04 pm  #1

Devil in Amber running on Radio4 extra

We're already on to episode 3 but it is being read by the author (Mark) himself, with typical aplomb.

It was broadcast on Sunday but you can listen to it any time for a week afterwards. As far as I can tell, Radio4 extra is available free online anywhere outside UK.

It's about a British spy, Lucifer Box, and is set between the Wars. Since he is Mark's creation, Lucifer is a flamboyant, resourceful character, a kind of all-action (oh yes) version of Mycroft but with a very different sibling. And possibly flashier clothes.

Mark has also recorded Black Butterfly. Most of what is on this radio channel is broadcast at least once a year, though exactly when varies. 

And please can anyone tell me what the music is?

Just cllick on Radio on the BBC home site, and then Radio4 extra. It broadcasts drama, comedy (including Cabin Pressure) including , book readings etc, no news or music. Most of it was made for Radio4 originally, including all the Merrison/Williams or Sachs Holmes adaptations, and many other good things. They have a special section every day called 'The seventh dimension'  for science fiction, which includes anything from Poe to Red Dwarf. The Lovecraft readings are particularly fine IMO.
It has kept me sane since I left the UK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

June 2, 2012 7:44 pm  #2

Re: Devil in Amber running on Radio4 extra

I am a 4 and 4extra addict Britigander I plan to listen. Thanks for mentioning it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 2, 2012 8:48 pm  #3

You're welcome, JaneCo, glad you enoy them too! 

If you would like a quick precis of the plot so far, I can provide one, but I guess there's stuff online already.

Last edited by Britigander (June 2, 2012 8:48 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

June 4, 2012 7:16 am  #4

Hi Britigander, I was too late to listen to last Sunday's offering on iplayer, but I caught the most recent one last night . I really enjoyed it so thanks for recommending. Sorry I wasn't 'on the ball' sooner, but the BBC do tend to repeat things on 4extra quite frequently, so I'll look out for the whole series next time around. Do you know how many parts it is in?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera