BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2013 5:59 pm  #1581

Re: Series 3 discussion SPOILER THREAD!!! WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

You may well have hit the nail on the head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 12, 2013 6:01 pm  #1582

All this is also an Internet phenomenon: something happens and twenty years ago only a few people would have heard about it. Today you can reach millions instantly and it is difficult to take things back. The discussion takes on a life of its own, there are hate posts and threats and things get out of control.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 12, 2013 6:24 pm  #1583

BC doesn't like the term "Cumberbitches" because he feels that it is a demeaning term (which it is when referring to a human being).  If someone wants to call themselves that, then that's their perogative.  But he is clearly very uncomfortable with the term.

A stalker is a stalker and it's very scary when someone is following you, whatever their motives.  Having lived through this myself, it's not something I can condone in any fashion.

Personally, I refuse to approach a celebrity unless it is at a sanctioned event (such as an autograph signing or talk).  It's simply my rule of treating others the way I would want to be treated.  I know that I wouldn't want people taking pictures of me or interrupting me while I was out doing my errands, and I would be especially mad if my children were involved.  I grew up in a very small rural town, and a big celebrity (back in my area of the world) lived nearby.  I would often see him at the local grocery store, and no one would ever approach him as he did his business.  Personally, I idolize no one, because every human has his or her faults as well as graces, but I can appreciate their body of work. 

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 12, 2013 6:30 pm  #1584

SusiGo wrote:

All this is also an Internet phenomenon: something happens and twenty years ago only a few people would have heard about it. Today you can reach millions instantly and it is difficult to take things back. The discussion takes on a life of its own, there are hate posts and threats and things get out of control.

I don't think so. Not necessarily. Twenty years ago it would have appeared in some newspaper and then on every TV VIP News show and people would have sent their hate in letters. I think it's actually a good thing that we have more possibilities for discussion and can get background information more easily now. Although it has its disadvantages, of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

September 12, 2013 6:36 pm  #1585

sj4iy wrote:

Personally, I refuse to approach a celebrity unless it is at a sanctioned event (such as an autograph signing or talk).  It's simply my rule of treating others the way I would want to be treated.  I know that I wouldn't want people taking pictures of me or interrupting me while I was out doing my errands, and I would be especially mad if my children were involved.  I grew up in a very small rural town, and a big celebrity (back in my area of the world) lived nearby.  I would often see him at the local grocery store, and no one would ever approach him as he did his business.  Personally, I idolize no one, because every human has his or her faults as well as graces, but I can appreciate their body of work. 

Very sensible approach, like that very much!

As far as stalkers are concerned, I think they are the most creepy beings on earth, apart from blackmailers (just so to get slightly back on topic ). I don't see how any apology or cake afterwards could improve matters by much there. The best apology in my eyes in such a case would be a formal letter ending with the words "you will never see or hear from me ever again".

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

September 12, 2013 6:38 pm  #1586

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I don't think so. Not necessarily. Twenty years ago it would have appeared in some newspaper and then on every TV VIP News show and people would have sent their hate in letters. I think it's actually a good thing that we have more possibilities for discussion and can get background information more easily now. Although it has its disadvantages, of course.

The disadvantage is that there are no longer filters, no editors or codes of conduct.  Everyone with a phone and a wi-fi signal is suddenly a journalist, and rumors spread more quickly and are harder to quash that ever.  You don't need verified dependable sources...you just need followers to retweet your messages hundreds of times.  It's pretty insane when you actually think about it.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

September 12, 2013 6:40 pm  #1587

the_dancing_woman wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Very sensible approach, like that very much!

As far as stalkers are concerned, I think they are the most creepy beings on earth, apart from blackmailers (just so to get slightly back on topic ). I don't see how any apology or cake afterwards could improve matters by much there. The best apology in my eyes in such a case would be a formal letter ending with the words "you will never see or hear from me ever again".

My stepdad sat outside all night with a shotgun to take care of the guy following me.

/no one was harmed
//but he never followed me again

Last edited by sj4iy (September 12, 2013 6:40 pm)

September 12, 2013 6:54 pm  #1588

sj4iy wrote:

BC doesn't like the term "Cumberbitches" because he feels that it is a demeaning term (which it is when referring to a human being).  If someone wants to call themselves that, then that's their perogative.  But he is clearly very uncomfortable with the term.

He is, and I think that's partly because of what you pointed out above and partly because it might wrongly reflect on him too- there might be some VIPs who'd probably find it cool, but BC is sophisticated and the opposite of superficial, therefore he doesn't seem to want to be associated with the term.

And seriously, someone who welcomes him at the airport with a sign saying "I'm pregnant and it's yours"- or girls tweeting stuff like "OMG I've touched BC my ovaries just exploded"- that has got to be annoying on so many different levels.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

September 12, 2013 7:49 pm  #1589

Call me narrow-minded, but, frankly, I never liked this "ovaries-thing".

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 12, 2013 7:50 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 12, 2013 7:55 pm  #1590

Kerkerian, I so totally agree with what you've just said, I couldn't have expressed it any better.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 12, 2013 7:55 pm  #1591

Mattlocked wrote:

Call me narrow-minded, but, frankly, I never liked this "ovaries-thing".

Me neither...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

September 12, 2013 8:16 pm  #1592

It's a bit irrelvant for me at my age, but no, I never liked it either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 12, 2013 8:28 pm  #1593

That sort of thing makes me uncomfortable because then it allows everyone else on the outside to stereotype ALL the fans that way.  I'd rather not be thought of as a fangirl because of it.

September 12, 2013 8:32 pm  #1594

Yep.  
I've just been having a conversation with my Sherlock pal about this.
Or raher I've kpet quiet while she's repeatedly texted me slagging off ' Cumberbitches' and how she doesn't want to be associated with them.

September 12, 2013 11:59 pm  #1595

I realise this is a big issue, guys...but I don't think this is the right thread for it. I know there aren't any more setlock spoilers now but could we maybe get back to talking about Series 3? We're going way off-topic here...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

September 13, 2013 12:16 am  #1596

...and it's over.

September 13, 2013 12:23 am  #1597

So...which episode is everyone looking forward to the most?

Myself:

Episode 3 "His Last Vow", because of the incredible villain we get to (presumably) meet.  Here's hoping he's as evil and manipulative as he is in the books...and maybe even moreso.

You?

September 13, 2013 12:26 am  #1598

You're asking me to choose? Yikes...

Um...all three really, but if I had to pick one it would be The Empty Hearse because of the reunion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

September 13, 2013 12:30 am  #1599

sj4iy wrote:

So...which episode is everyone looking forward to the most?

Myself:

Episode 3 "His Last Vow", because of the incredible villain we get to (presumably) meet.  Here's hoping he's as evil and manipulative as he is in the books...and maybe even moreso.

You?

Probably "The Empty Hearse", mostly because I am anxious/excited to see the Sherlock and John reunion! Been waiting for ages...watching that will be an immense, enjoyable relief (among other things). I am looking forward to all of them though of course 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (September 13, 2013 12:31 am)

-------------------------------------------------------

September 13, 2013 3:04 am  #1600

DITTO The Reunion.  My heart just flutters when I think about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera