BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2013 2:49 pm  #1

Once we'll be gone

Hey all,

this is a rather depressing thought, but I've once more been made aware of our perishability. A friend of mine just told me that she's been trying to contact a fellow fanfiction author after leaving enthusiastic reviews and not getting any answers (not in the Sherlock fandom) and has subsequently learned in a forum that said author had died.
Since the internet is still so relatively young, the phenomemon of leaving an account behind (be it fanfic, tumblr, twitter or whichever) is still rather new. Of course, there are some websites (Livejournal, for example) which delete your account if you haven't used it for a certain amount of time, but I don't think all of them do.
It's a sad notion that one day, our fics (and maybe our messages on boards like this) will still be there, but we won't. It's not the same as with books, in my opinion, because the anonymity makes it easy to simply disappear, so to speak.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

August 16, 2013 3:14 pm  #2

Re: Once we'll be gone

It's only natural to think of what you'll leave behind one day.  Everyone does...whether it's a spouse, children, work you've done, possessions...and I've noticed that many social network sites become tribute pages, and many don't change at all.

One thing that I loved about living in Japan was the way their culture embraced impermanence, much of it due to the Buddhist religion they practice alongside Shintoism.  "Hanami" is a great example of this- flower watching, or, more specifically, the cherry blossom festival.  When the cherry blossoms bloom in the spring, many people go out and have picnics under the trees.  The cherry blossom is a symbol of impermanence- the beauty of the flowers, so delicate, white as snow...and they only last a couple of weeks before the tree is bereft of flowers, and the petals are scattered upon the ground like snow...and then completely gone before long.  But the point of Hanami is to get out and appreciate the flowers (like life), before they are gone.  Here's one of the pictures I took when I was going through Kyoto in April about 5 years ago:

To me, a lot of Western cultures tend to try to prolong life, while sacrificing quality, simply because we are afraid of our own end.  To me, I'm not afraid (I don't believe in an afterlife)...but I simply try to live my life the best I can without worrying about it.  Hopefully, I will leave behind my children and their families, and really, that's the only legacy I care about.

Last edited by sj4iy (August 16, 2013 3:19 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 16, 2013 3:31 pm  #3

My mum died almost a year ago, after a long battle with lung cancer that involved incompetent doctors, two amputations due to blood clots, lots of stress and tears. I have to believe in some kind of afterlife, so that I can see her again. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 16, 2013 4:30 pm  #4

I'm very sorry to hear that, kittykat.
I also hope for an afterlife, and I can't believe everything will be over once one dies.

sj4iy: I agree, but I've never included these social networks in those ponderings.

No matter what one believes, it's important not to postpone things but live life as best as possible.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 16, 2013 4:40 pm  #5

Kerkerian wrote:

...No matter what one believes, it's important not to postpone things but live life as best as possible.

..and as happy as possible.
What I (especially at the moment) find quite difficult as I it frightens me that one day my life (or that of beloved ones) will be over and I have to think a lot about it. Which already makes me sad when I still could (should) be happy.
Some people think it's a benefit to know that all life ends, but I sometimes envy my cat who just lives every day and doesn't know about an end. (At least I assume.)

But then I think this was mainly about internet, so please forgive me being slightly OT.

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 16, 2013 5:15 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 16, 2013 7:42 pm  #6

Mattlocked wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

...No matter what one believes, it's important not to postpone things but live life as best as possible.

..and as happy as possible.
What I (especially at the moment) find quite difficult as I it frightens me that one day my life (or that of beloved ones) will be over and I have to think a lot about it. Which already makes me sad when I still could (should) be happy.
Some people think it's a benefit to know that all life ends, but I sometimes envy my cat who just lives every day and doesn't know about an end. (At least I assume.)

But then I think this was mainly about internet, so please forgive me being slightly OT.

I understand your point of view: for me, I'm more frightened by the deaths of my loved ones than my own..... I've lost already too many members of my family

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 16, 2013 7:58 pm  #7

kittykat wrote:

My mum died almost a year ago, after a long battle with lung cancer that involved incompetent doctors, two amputations due to blood clots, lots of stress and tears. I have to believe in some kind of afterlife, so that I can see her again. 

So sorry to hear that.

My dad died when I was 23 from a sudden heart attack, although his health had declined tremendously before then.  He had liver cirrhosis, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, hepatitis B, diabetes, arthritis, multiple joint replacement surgeries...and he was only 54 years old.  That was 9 years ago this week.

Last edited by sj4iy (August 16, 2013 7:59 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 12, 2013 11:28 am  #8

sj4y: That's one of the things I love about Japan too. Sorry to hear about your dad (God, he's really not been lucky with health )

Kittykat: sorry to hear about your mum too.

I don't believe in afterlife (I'm an atheist) but somehow it warms me up to know that I'll leave a trace (other than my son, I mean), even if it's fanfictions which have already sunk into oblivion a few days after being posted

My husband died one year ago. He had subscribed to facebook a couple of months before his death and I can't bring myself to delete his account. It somehow gives me the feeling he's still "there", in a way... Deleting his account (or his old tea blog for example) would make me feel erasing him a little more. Just can't explain... It's just like my answering machine still says his name as if he was still there, and even after a year, I don't manage to change the message...

Just like old times...

September 12, 2013 2:37 pm  #9

Punch me in the face wrote:

sj4y: That's one of the things I love about Japan too. Sorry to hear about your dad (God, he's really not been lucky with health )

Kittykat: sorry to hear about your mum too.

I don't believe in afterlife (I'm an atheist) but somehow it warms me up to know that I'll leave a trace (other than my son, I mean), even if it's fanfictions which have already sunk into oblivion a few days after being posted

My husband died one year ago. He had subscribed to facebook a couple of months before his death and I can't bring myself to delete his account. It somehow gives me the feeling he's still "there", in a way... Deleting his account (or his old tea blog for example) would make me feel erasing him a little more. Just can't explain... It's just like my answering machine still says his name as if he was still there, and even after a year, I don't manage to change the message...

That's very sad and I'm sorry for your loss.
It's understandable that you can't delete his account or the message because it's got such a touch of finality, doesn't it.
I think one day you may be able to do so and it will feel okay, but until then, you shouldn't bother trying. It's a slow process, but eventually you'll get there (sorry if this sounds presumptuous, it's not meant to be).
I wish you strength and luck.

Board footera