BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2012 12:01 pm  #21

Re: whats your favourite part of this episode??

Irene_Adler wrote:

- The moment when John pulls his range over that young Corporal. It's cool to see John beeing the boss over Sherlock for a change.

Ah, right:  how could I forget that moment?  I love how pleased Sherlock is with John, too.  Sherlock can't fight the smile that breaks out across his face as John does it, and then can't resist paying John the compliment, "Nice touch" when they get inside the facility.  Just another moment of really understanding why this partnership works.

April 30, 2012 5:02 pm  #22

Yeah it's funny the way John drinks the coffee because he thinks Sherlock is apologising through making coffee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 30, 2012 8:00 pm  #23

Apart from the mind palace sequence and "I don’t have friends. I’ve just got one." 
the following are my favourite moments in THOB:

"Is that why your're calling yourself Greg?"
"That's his name!"

"Is yours a snorer?"
"Got any crisps?"

The fireplace deduction.

That scene when Sherlock pushes Henry towards the shot dog: "Look at it, Henry!"
This unexpected sensivity…

…and – excuse me while I'm fainting  :
Sherlock's eyes on computer screen during his research for project H.O.U.N.D.: Mes. me. ri. zing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 4, 2012 12:30 am  #24

I really like this episode, despite the many negative reviews.  I think there are lots of character-illuminating moments in it and that's enough to outweigh the other aspects that don't quite work for me.  As well, there are just some plain funny moments.  Here's what I really like:

-- Sherlock sniffing the cigarette smoke when Henry lights up, after Sherlock has practically ordered him to smoke.
-- John pulling rank on the corporal and then, in response to Sherlock's knowing question, admitting that yes, indeed, he did enjoy doing that.
-- John and Lestrade discussing Sherlock in the courtyard, where Lestrade says Sherlock must like having all the familiar faces together again because it appeals to his...and John jumps in with...Asperger's.  (Which makes me wonder if John truly thinks Sherlock is on the spectrum.)
-- The fireplace scene in the inn where Sherlock's monologue ratchets up to the point where he says he doesn't have any friends and John asks, in a beautifully emotion-filled voice, "Wonder why?"  (Obviously, I like this scene A WHOLE LOT since it's my signature line!)
-- The next day when Sherlock apologizes to John and says he has only one friend, and as Sherlock catches up to John on the path and continues talking, John reminds him he was just a moment ago saying sorry and don't spoil things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 14, 2012 10:05 am  #25

I love the whole opening scenes from when Sherlock returns with the harpoon to where they leave for Dartmoor. That whole section at Baker Street is just really hilarious and great to watch. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry but need a Sherlock fix, I will just watch those first scenes....

June 16, 2012 3:03 am  #26

I love the part right after Sherlock sees the hound and goes to the fireplace seen, I think it's pretty cool to see even Sherlock rattles up for a change xD

October 6, 2012 7:38 pm  #27

So many brilliant scenes.
But definitely the soppy side of me loves the :  only one friend, line.

Last edited by besleybean (November 14, 2012 4:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2012 3:15 pm  #28

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I like it when he apologises to John - "I haven't got friends. Only one." It's so sweet.

That's definitely my favorite scene too. Those little moments where you get to really see their relationship grow and they acknowledge it. It's really sweet and touching.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 14, 2012 9:03 am  #29

I loved this episode a lot. Had there NOT been that 'Major's password deduction scene' (which was beyond the realms of belieavability), I would've probably rated this episode as the best one in the entire series.
My favorite scenes:
1. The beautiful drive to the Baskerville/Dart Moor ..such a break from the monotony and traffic of London plus Sherlock driving the jeep himself ...That all looked so refreshing!
2. The first time they entered the Baskerville military base and John pulling his rank!!
3. The entire "lab scene involving John" when Sherlock was "experimenting" on him. Seriously, I was SCARED when I watched it for the first time!!!
4. The shivering Sherlock in the restaurant followed by his six page monologue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

November 14, 2012 9:18 am  #30

monitaa wrote:

4. The shivering Sherlock in the restaurant followed by his six page monologue.

One of my favourite scenes ever, but in combination with the graveyard scene on the following morning. So well done by both of them and a sort of foreshadowing of the later graveyard scene. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 14, 2012 10:47 am  #31

@SusiGo
Yes..the graveyard scene is ultimate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

November 22, 2012 11:32 pm  #32

And the Mind Palace scene of course.

December 1, 2012 12:13 pm  #33

Oh… favourite scene… difficult question… There are so many great scenes…
-The Mind Palace (it was great but I think it was slightly overdone… and I think the name “Mind Palace  is a bit narcissistic…)
- The “I don’t have Friends – I’ve only got one - moment is simply unforgettable
and many more moments, I think you all have already mentioned.
But I think I’ll never forget how I watched it (the first time) with my friend Pitagor. It was like 2 O’clock and we were a bit tired. Then the scene where Sherlock makes John the Coffee and locks him in the room with the cages. I was quite nervous as it was, because it is Sherlock… and when the imaginative Hound pounces at John it made me really jump and I grabbed on to Pitagors arm for the rest of the scene. I am quite easily shocked and sensitive. Of course the room we sat in was pitch-dark and I couldn’t stop looking around anxiously assuring there were no black hounds around.

December 4, 2012 12:01 pm  #34

For me the best part of this episode was the 'reveal' for the lab scene between Sherlock and John. Where he's sat there with his feet up on the desk watching his best friend have a complete nervous breakdown on the small screen in front of him.

Makes me giggle every time... Poor John, he has to put up with so much. Then again, as far as practical jokes go (probably as close to one as Sherlock gets anyway: it was practical and amusing) between blokes this is probably on the rather mild end of the scale. At least it didn't involve beer, sheep or handcuffs. I would like to think that Sherlock still has the footage somewhere though. A little 'pick me up' for those dull days.

Any other favourite bit has already been mentioned, including the 'cold turkey' sequence. Masterful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 8, 2013 6:10 pm  #35

I love the first scene after the opening sequence - when Sherlock enters the room covered in blood and holding a harpoon in his hand - and the way John looked at him!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 8, 2013 6:25 pm  #36

Well that was tedious! Love that scene.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 9, 2013 3:35 am  #37

The graveyard scene is my favourite part. It's so melting to hear Sherlock saying, "I don't have friends..I have only got one"

Though he wouldn't have articulated it, if it's not for experimenting on John, he did mean every word he said. We have his reactions in the pool scene in TGG and in the scene with the CIA  men in ASiB, to show how deeply he cares about John, but it's only here he articulates what is John to him. So it makes this scene a special one.

Last edited by holmes23 (January 9, 2013 3:36 am)

January 9, 2013 3:51 am  #38

holmes23 wrote:

..............We have his reactions in the pool scene in TGG and in the scene with the CIA  men in ASiB, to show how deeply he cares about John,.........................

I would have thought the reason he 'protected' John in those scenes was partly for his own self preservation rather tha any sentimental reasons.
And let's face it; he doesn't want to see someone get killed. He would do that for anyone I daresay.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 9, 2013 7:04 am  #39

I personally think The Pool is where Sherlock is first confronted with his feelings for John. 
I believe the whole of his behaviour shows this. 
Granted it's coupled with realising just what a menace Moriarty really is...but I think he'd maybe got that bit already.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2013 7:39 am  #40

besleybean wrote:

I personally think The Pool is where Sherlock is first confronted with his feelings for John. 
I believe the whole of his behaviour shows this. 
Granted it's coupled with realising just what a menace Moriarty really is...but I think he'd maybe got that bit already.

I think you're right. And the brutality with which he treats the CIA man isn't only because he threatened and hurt Mrs Hudson but also because he's the one who ordered his men to shoot John.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera