BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2013 5:49 pm  #1

BAFTA Britannia Award for Benedict

In November Benedict will receive the BAFTA Britannia Award as British Artist of the Year. That is a wonderful recognition of his work. (The ceremony will take place in L.A. At home he was not even deemed worthy of a nomination.)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/benedict-cumberbatch-be-honored-at-622274

Last edited by SusiGo (September 5, 2013 6:06 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2013 5:55 pm  #2

Re: BAFTA Britannia Award for Benedict

As we all know: The prophet has no honour in his own country.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 5, 2013 6:06 pm  #3

There is a lot of truth in that. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2013 6:12 pm  #4

Let's hope he gets a best actor nomination and win in the UK BAFTA's after Sherlock has aired x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

September 5, 2013 6:19 pm  #5

I hope so. But he has been notoriously overlooked at the BAFTAs in the past. Three nominations, no award. And then not even a nomination for PE. 

September 5, 2013 6:26 pm  #6

I'm not really a firm believer in awards anyway, but when I realised that he did not win a BAFTA yet... I couldn't believe it. Seriously, how can you not give him one for his performance as Sherlock...? It's not just those complicated, long deductions he delivers so brillantly, it's just everything. What more can you want from a performance?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 5, 2013 6:29 pm  #7

It is just a question of recognising somebody's work. And the sad thing is that Martin and Andrew got one. Which they deserved. But so did Benedict. 

September 5, 2013 6:47 pm  #8

Great news! He certainly deserves it.

I think the reason why he hasn't received a BAFTA is envy.

September 5, 2013 7:17 pm  #9

I foresee an Oscar nomination in his future

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 5, 2013 7:23 pm  #10

sj4iy wrote:

I foresee an Oscar nomination in his future

Yes, finally he will be awarded with an Oscar for his life's work in 2063...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 5, 2013 7:26 pm  #11

LOL Or he will overtake Daniel Day-Lewis and win four of them.

September 5, 2013 8:08 pm  #12

Even if he doesn't win awards I expect he will be known as one of the greatest actors of our time x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

September 5, 2013 8:13 pm  #13

Of that I am sure. And there is much more to come. 

September 5, 2013 8:38 pm  #14

I just say that because he's going to do "The Imitation Game", which is Oscar bait.  True story about mathematician who broke the Nazi code to help win the war, and is then prosecuted for being gay, had himself castrated and them committed suicide.  Oscar...bait.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 5, 2013 8:41 pm  #15

I know. It made me read a 650 pages (!) book about a mathematician (!) during my holdays (!). 

September 5, 2013 8:56 pm  #16

sj4iy wrote:

(...) True story about mathematician who broke the Nazi code to help win the war, and is then prosecuted for being gay, had himself castrated and them committed suicide. (...)

Like Van Gogh?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 5, 2013 8:58 pm  #17

Different part of the anatomy but I get your meaning. 

September 5, 2013 9:43 pm  #18

There's more than just a little Oscar bait to playing Julian Assange also.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 7, 2013 6:37 am  #19

I think it was chemical castration but I get your point. Turing was a genius and his treatment was appalling. It is wonderful that he is, at last, receiving the recognition that he deserves.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 7, 2013 6:54 pm  #20

I was so happy when I found out about that. Give that man all the awards he deserves! And if not, then he will get at least the Oscar for his life's work in.... 2063, was it, tobe?
I think he's the most talented actor of his generation, if not one of the greatest actors in the world. And that's not only fangirling, everyone knows that I'm right. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera