BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2013 7:06 pm  #21

Re: CHAT ROOM!

I've been in the chat room Harriet and people are very polite there. They ask openly if anyone minds talking about spoilers and if anyone does (Me for example) they do not.

I would recommend trying it out as it is a fun place.

You can clear the chat window too in case you feel tempted to read posts prior to your arrival.

Hope this helps.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

August 29, 2013 8:34 pm  #22

Well, thanks, I don't doubt people are polite and kind there   
Only, I was there once and saw glances of already ongoing spoilers just before I could ask anyone 

So I think a warning along with the chat link would be just fair.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 29, 2013 8:52 pm  #23

Fair enough, we're in there just now and we've established no spoilers unless people ask out loud first.

But something did slip in, thanksfully I don't think it's a big one or anything so it's not air tight.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 30, 2013 2:19 pm  #24

Scratch it - they can't help themselves.

Until release the chat rooms will be filled with spoilers and me picking on Kittykat and purposefully making her cry.

It will be harsh, I may be banned, but I am right.

-m0r

August 30, 2013 3:19 pm  #25

I myself do read spoilers, but the problem is: As long as the chat isn't spoiler free, only few people will use it.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 30, 2013 3:37 pm  #26

I just want to tell you that I am not responsible for the chatroom which has been established during my holidays. I have no mod privileges in there and have not used it myself. 
I wonder if it is possible to open individual discussions in there which can be labelled with warnings. If not, there has to be a basic agreement which everyone using it should respect. 
As for the conversation tone in there - it seems to be a bit ruder than over here on the board which I think is a pity. I have always appreciated the respectful ways in here and wish to keep them. 
I would request the Boss to help settling this problem. Thank you all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2013 3:53 pm  #27

I am not comfortable to use the chat room. Never ever did somewhere else.
1. I need to write slowly and sometimes (often) use the dictionary to check my spelling.
    I suppose nobody wants to wait untill I am ready.
2. I prefer to think before I post something because I can't take it back when it is out there.
3. I checked the chat-room and found out that the language is much more colloquial or slang. Can't understand everthing.

I would perhaps give it a try if we were allowed to use our native language. Which we don't. Or am I wrong? But that would exclude other members.
So I will stay here.

August 30, 2013 3:54 pm  #28

+1 Susi.

Until then though - I'm going rogue ninja!

-m0r

August 30, 2013 5:22 pm  #29

I'm sorry if I have offended someone on the chat .... i don't go spoilerish and my knowledge of them is nearly null but if I did, sorry about it....
I will stay away from it until this problem is settled

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 30, 2013 6:29 pm  #30

Makes me wonder, when Series 3 starts airing are we allowed to talk about it in there or do we have to wait months until everybody on the entire forum has seen it so that we don't offend anyone with spoilers?

Last edited by kittykat (August 30, 2013 6:30 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 30, 2013 6:34 pm  #31

If I remember it right there was simply a request to add the spoiler information to the chat link...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 30, 2013 6:38 pm  #32

That woud be the simplest solution, but they tend to be full of criticism anyway...

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 30, 2013 6:52 pm  #33

No, I mean that sometimes even the simple solutions can be faced with arguments...

August 30, 2013 7:05 pm  #34

kittykat wrote:

Makes me wonder, when Series 3 starts airing are we allowed to talk about it in there or do we have to wait months until everybody on the entire forum has seen it so that we don't offend anyone with spoilers?

No but you may wish to give notice as to when it's appropriate to discuss humourous aspects of it which might upset you if mentioned too soon KK.

Cause you know, the world's yours and everyone must tiptoe around your fragile frame whilst you punt spoilers about wily-nily and cry like a victimised schoolgirl because Sherlock falling into the TARDIS swimming pool is somehow upsetting a year and a half after it's aired.

Goodness knows what Sherlock would say to your antics 

-m0r

August 30, 2013 7:09 pm  #35

M0r, you could at least try to be a bit nicer.

Seems we need a chat rule. "SPOILER WARING" or "NO SPOILERS ALLOWED".

Solved.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 30, 2013 7:09 pm  #36

Kittykat and m0riarty, could you please settle your problems via PM? I think this discussion is not for the benefit of the other members and I frankly do not like the personal attacks. Thank you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2013 7:11 pm  #37

I don't have any problems. And I do think a warning about spoilers is the best solution.

August 30, 2013 7:27 pm  #38

Talking in the chat room would be a lot easier for when Series 3 airs, rather than anywhere on here...

August 30, 2013 8:38 pm  #39

The Boss needs to be consulted as to whether the Chatroom needs a spoiler warning. However until there is such a warning perhaps it would be best all round to avoid spoilers in the Chatroom. The basic rule would be no spoilers unless flagged up clearly beforehand so that those who wish to avoid them can do so.

I don't think it is reasonable to have the Chatroom out-of-bounds to all those who wish to avoid spoilers, whereas those who know the 'stuff' anyway would not be so precluded from using the Chatroom.

It is, is suppose, quite easy to accidentally post a spoiler but restraint needs to be exercised. Once posted and read a spoiler cannot be erased. Internet etiquette needs to be borne in mind.

Perhaps two chat rooms are feasible. The Boss would be the person to approach with such a suggestion.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 30, 2013 9:13 pm  #40

What about when series 3 airs and we wish to talk as it is being shown? The chat room would be the best place because it's so quick.

Board footera