BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2013 1:23 am  #1

Beta Readers

Since we have some experience and some fledgling writers right here on our board, I thought maybe we should have a register of people who are happy to be contacted for beta reading.

I've never done it and I'm not a writer but I'm very good with spellling and grammar so I'd be happy to give that a look over. I'd like to learn how to be a beta reader but I dunno if that's helpful to anyone!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 20, 2013 3:16 pm  #2

Re: Beta Readers

I've done some beta reading already so I'm happy to do more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 21, 2013 5:56 pm  #3

add me to the list - I've done some for my daughter (wrote a chapter for her that she was totally stuck on, and she loved it).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

August 22, 2013 7:43 pm  #4

I'm not a native English speaker, so I can't help much with the spelling and grammar, but if it's just to see if a story works or so, I would have a look at it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 3, 2013 7:00 pm  #5

I would like to volunteer, I have done the odd bit of betaing/proof reading here and there.

Anyone who wishes to engage me should know that I am not a native English speaker so I would probably not be much help with grammar and spelling, but I have an insane eye for detail and am very good at keeping complicated plots together and have a decent skill at keeping characters consistent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

May 28, 2014 1:00 am  #6

Is anyone still interested in beta/critique work?  I'm trying to decide if I have my Mycroft "right".  It's only about a page and a half of something I'm trying to start.  I write very slow.   LOL

June 14, 2014 9:10 pm  #7

Hey, is anyone here interested in helping me with a Mycroft Fic? It's pure crack and not to be taken seriously, but I could really use some help.

I could also use assistance when it comes to writing adult/graphic content. Betas for my published stories are always welcome. 

I would be really thankful if anyone of you is interested and I might just name my firstborn child after you... 

Plus, I would of course beta the work of anyone who asks me

Last edited by InSpiritGolden (June 14, 2014 9:12 pm)

I was filled with poison
But blessed with beauty and rage

August 4, 2015 2:28 pm  #8

I just started writing my first fanfic tonight. It's not as painful as I thought it would be!  Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself since I've only written about one page, but I would love it if someone could beta for me? And perhaps help with ideas? It's going to be a fairly short, gen, case fic, and will include a lovely Victor Trevor modelled on Benedict Anyone interested?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 4, 2015 4:56 pm  #9

Hey, ukaunz, I could help out, if you want?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 4, 2015 9:08 pm  #10

Okay, thanks Lily

Not quite ready to send anything to you yet, but would you like to pm me your email address? If not, we can stick to forum messages,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 4, 2015 9:10 pm  #11

Sure, no problem

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 27, 2015 9:09 pm  #12

I'm (almost) always happy to beta read. Not a native speaker and sadly I won't be any use when it comes to Britpicking but I can help with plotholes, character development etc. I love betaing almost as much as I love writing.

October 1, 2015 7:42 pm  #13

BUMP

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 5, 2015 6:17 pm  #14

stoertebeker wrote:

I
Question: Are there any more volunteers for beta-reading? I will need someone who can check grammar, spelling and sentence structure of my story. Thank you very much in advance for everybody who can help 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 14, 2015 1:35 pm  #15

A bit late to the party, but I am willing to help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 15, 2015 12:55 am  #16

This might be a useful article to those who would like to beta
http://thewritersbloc.net/practical-guide-beta-reading

Also, this podcast episode - "A Guide to Beta Reading" - The OTPodcast
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-otpodcast/id1046881636?mt=2&i=355042357

Last edited by ukaunz (December 15, 2015 1:00 am)

April 25, 2016 4:21 am  #17

As you may know, writing for the Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange is about to begin. We may be in need of some betas!

If anyone would like to volunteer, please leave a message here so that the writers can contact you.

Thank you

(P.S. Some Brit-picking resources can be found here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3843)

April 25, 2016 5:45 am  #18

I'm willing, if anybody needs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 25, 2016 5:12 pm  #19

I'll be wanting a beta when I've finished my rough draft.

April 25, 2016 5:14 pm  #20

My email, for anybody who wants me to look at a fic is: besleybean@yahoo.co.uk

Board footera