BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2013 5:09 pm  #1

'Charles Augustus Milverton' and A Study in Pink

I find that A Study in Pink and Charles Augustus Milverton share some parallels with each other towards the end when talking about the culprit'. In the story it is Lestrade who is giving the features of the doer to SH, and in the series it's Sherlock to Lestrade, and on both these occasion they are talking about John  Watson.
On both these occasions John's intention is good. In the show he has shot the cabbie to save Sherlock's life, and in the story he has accompanied SH much to latter's objection, to avoid SH's possible "detection, the capture, the honoured career ending in irreparable failure and disgrace."

While in the story SH dismisses Lestrade's theory about the culprit saying that the same features can be applicable to Watson as well (it's understandable if poor Watson's heart skips a beat!) - What a rascal he is!
In the show Sherlock is about to give John away unwittingly but when he realises it's John he's talking about, he immediately tries to divert the subject - Here we find Sherlock's emotional side. A very touching scene as well.
What if Sherlock said, “That’s rather vague, why, it might be a description of Watson!”? Would the beauty of this particular scene be lost?
And what if SH didn't say those words in the story? Sure the whole charm of that scene would be lost. 
And what of Lestrade? As far as the story is concerned  there is some speculation among scholars that Lestrade had his own suspicion about the duo. May be he's fond of them and keep mum about his own suspicions. Though on both these occasions Lestrade appears to be a bit dumb, isn't it possible that Lestrade in the show has realised, after getting some clear cut clues from Sherlock, the shooter is John himself?

Last edited by holmes23 (August 17, 2013 5:36 pm)

August 17, 2013 5:31 pm  #2

Re: 'Charles Augustus Milverton' and A Study in Pink

Maybe Lestrade does figure it out, but let's face it. John did the right thing. The cabbie was a murderer, and John saved Sherlock's life. It's a grey area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 17, 2013 5:45 pm  #3

That's what I said as well. But why did Sherlock tried to divert Lestrade's attention?

August 17, 2013 6:19 pm  #4

He didn't want John to get into trouble?

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 17, 2013 6:30 pm  #5

Hence Lestrade's knowledge about it at least means some inconveniance to them. It would be cute if Lestrade knew and keep silent about it .

Last edited by holmes23 (August 17, 2013 6:31 pm)

August 17, 2013 6:38 pm  #6

I like Lestrade

August 18, 2013 3:50 pm  #7

I like the way you drew the parallels there. Never noticed before. I love both of those scenes in CHAS and PINK. Milverton is probably my favourite canon story to be honest, so many great bits. Really happy that they're going to be tackling at least some of it in His Last Vow and possibly even sowing the seeds of Magnussen in earlier episodes a la Moriarty.

Sherlock changed the subject to avoid Lestrade finding out. He's always been portrayed as a bit of baffoon in Sherlockian history and although he's a lot better in this adaptation, he is still a little goofy sometimes. This actually makes him pretty adorable though, especially seeing as it's Rupert.

I don't think he knew it was John. At that point, he didn't know anything about John or his background, whereas Sherlock did. I suppose he might have cottoned on later on in their association, but by then it would have been too late anyway.

I'm pretty sure Lestrade knows about John's illegal firearm and just turns a blind eye to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 18, 2013 4:15 pm  #8

That illegal firearm has been very useful!

August 19, 2013 12:01 pm  #9

I agree. At least in the pilot Lestrade knows about the truth - it seems to be very obvious there. In ASiP they have reduced the impression of knowing about it (and without the pilot I would assume he knows nothing or maybe only a bit).

Last edited by anjaH_alias (August 19, 2013 12:07 pm)

Board footera