BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2013 10:57 am  #781

Re: Series 3 discussion SPOILER THREAD!!! WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

I hadn't imagined it being so extreme, but then I was at the Bristol nightshoot and afterwards, I was hooked. Not only Sherlocked, but also Benlocked or whatever you'd call it, and I just can't stay away from any spoilers I can get...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

August 18, 2013 11:07 am  #782

Kerkerian wrote:

I hadn't imagined it being so extreme, but then I was at the Bristol nightshoot and afterwards, I was hooked.

Well, I suppose then I'd be hooked as well! And you really weren't 'Benlocked' before that nightshoot? I suppose being at the set would finish me completely.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 18, 2013 11:14 am  #783

SolarSystem wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

I hadn't imagined it being so extreme, but then I was at the Bristol nightshoot and afterwards, I was hooked.

Well, I suppose then I'd be hooked as well! And you really weren't 'Benlocked' before that nightshoot? I suppose being at the set would finish me completely.

I was a bit, but not as extreme. After we had gotten invited in as extras and had participated in the first few scenes, he came over to talk to us and I actually got to talk to him (if briefly). It's all bit fuzzy from there.
Before we went to Bristol, I said to my friends "I'll be happy if I only get to see him in his costume once, that's all I want" and afterwards I felt foolish and very naive about that...
So yes, it also did finish me completely, most noticeable in the sense that I absolutely can't get enough of all of it anymore!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 18, 2013 11:29 am  #784

I learned that a few people are not so happy about the "Go photograph Egypt" note, 'cause they took it as message from Benedict who would have people being send to war. So many things can be taken the wrong way...

Last edited by Mary Me (August 18, 2013 11:35 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 18, 2013 11:42 am  #785

But there are war photographers in Egypt already!
I know some people think Benedict may also have been having a go at fans.

Last edited by besleybean (August 18, 2013 11:42 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 18, 2013 11:55 am  #786

And there it is. The Egypt sign wasn't for the fans but for some paparazzi who was stalking the actors with a huge zoom lense all day, trying to get a photo of Benedict in costume or something. There are more important things going on in the world. 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 18, 2013 11:55 am  #787

besleybean wrote:

I don't think so. As I mentioned before, I cannot imagine him sending his fangirls with their smartphones to Egypt. For me it's obvioulsy directed to the "professionals".

Mary, I cannot follow that thought....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 18, 2013 12:00 pm  #788

Mary Me wrote:

And there it is. The Egypt sign wasn't for the fans but for some paparazzi who was stalking the actors with a huge zoom lense all day, trying to get a photo of Benedict in costume or something. There are more important things going on in the world. 

I agree, it was meant for the paparazzi. I don't think he meant that they should go to war, but that they should maybe find other things which are more important than setlock.
We know after all that he also is against professional paparazzi who get actors' autographs and then sell their pics.

August 18, 2013 12:00 pm  #789

Mattlocked wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I don't think so. As I mentioned before, I cannot imagine him sending his fangirls with their smartphones to Egypt. For me it's obvioulsy directed to the "professionals".

Mary, I cannot follow that thought....

Hopefully you're referring to the behaviour of some "fans" who took it the wrong way.

Benedict is a humble person, he always was, and therefore I totally get his intention.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 18, 2013 12:04 pm  #790

By the way, here's the link to some person's comment on tumblr who thinks Benedict's action was just rude: http://ailony13.tumblr.com/

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 18, 2013 12:06 pm  #791

Me too.
I know exactly who he was targeting.
I was just saying  that the ' sending people to Egypt'  thing, was a new one on me.
And anyway, he wasn't exactly putting them on a plane at gun point!

EDIT: re the Tumblr post.
Not to seem rude myself.
But I think somebody may have missed the point a tad.

Last edited by besleybean (August 18, 2013 12:10 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 18, 2013 1:07 pm  #792

Mary Me wrote:

By the way, here's the link to some person's comment on tumblr who thinks Benedict's action was just rude: http://ailony13.tumblr.com/

OMG, how can people exaggerate so much? First of all, it is quite obvious, that the sign was meant for the journalists and not for the fans. As far as I know, Ben always acts friendly towards fans. It's ridiculous, to think, he wants to send his fans into a war-zone!
Secondly, I think, what he was trying to say was, that there are more important things happening around the world than the making of a TV series. Journalists shout concentrate more on this stuff than capturing photos of him and the Sherlock crew. I suppose it can be really annoying, being watched every step you take by a bunch of paparazzi. So the only thing he might be to blame for is his choice of words which unfortunately could be mistaken.

Poor Ben, I hope, most of the fans are able (like us) to understand his intention.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

August 18, 2013 1:17 pm  #793

"OMG" was also my reaction. I hope people who understand it like that will stay outnumbered.
But then again, you can understand things like you want to understand them, right?
I understand it the same way as the posts above. Surely he doesn't "want other people go there and die."
It's only about information, nothing else.
*shakes head*

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 18, 2013 1:17 pm)

August 18, 2013 1:24 pm  #794

stoertebeker wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

OMG, how can people exaggerate so much? First of all, it is quite obvious, that the sign was meant for the journalists and not for the fans. As far as I know, Ben always acts friendly towards fans. It's ridiculous, to think, he wants to send his fans into a war-zone!
Secondly, I think, what he was trying to say was, that there are more important things happening around the world than the making of a TV series. Journalists shout concentrate more on this stuff than capturing photos of him and the Sherlock crew. I suppose it can be really annoying, being watched every step you take by a bunch of paparazzi. So the only thing he might be to blame for is his choice of words which unfortunately could be mistaken.

Poor Ben, I hope, most of the fans are able (like us) to understand his intention.

Yes. There will always be somebody who is ready to twist his words to get attention.  

Which leads to the question why he needs to hold pieces of paper into the cameras instead of speaking his mind about problems he has with paparazzi or a special person who annoys him or interferes with the filming.
Isn't the team Sherlock able to provide a working situation that's all right? Maybe the fan attention together with the paparazzi interference is really too much? If that is the case they should try to keep fans and paparazzi at a larger distance.

August 18, 2013 1:46 pm  #795

Kerkerian wrote:

Apart from Ben taking a stand, apparently this happened last night:
http://dudeufugly.tumblr.com/post/58550311663/spoilers-sherlock-series-3-roundup-august-18th

Thank you for posting the link. I quite liked reading the set report. Respectful fans not getting in the way of the actors and crew and bringing back a few nice photos to look at, this is how I like it . I love seeing Martin Freeman and Rupert Graves together on set, and Louise Brealey coming over to chat with the fans a bit looks lovely too.

As for Benedict: this is rather the problem with tumblr, twitter and the other usual suspects, things get blown out of proportion easily and there is always someone not quite so clever (avoiding the actual term) in the room who seizes the opportunity to get off on a rant.
How anyone would ever even get the idea that he meant to send fans over to Egypt is beyond me.
And as far as the fans are concerned, I think it is alright and fine as long as they are respectful and well behaved (though 500 fans in one spot as, I think, besleybean has pointed out before on here is mainly adding more hardship to an already filled up to the brim day at work).

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

August 18, 2013 1:46 pm  #796

Yeah Benedict has mentioned his discomfort at filming in front of 100s of fans.
I really don't know the legal situation of shutting down roads etc...
But I guess the police could be used to remove people causing an obstruction.
And incidentally that would have been me being removed from Gower Street in April...which I was fully prepared for.

Last edited by besleybean (August 18, 2013 1:48 pm)

August 18, 2013 1:51 pm  #797

Sherlock meeting Magnussen? Ambulance? What?

*confused*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 18, 2013 1:59 pm  #798

kittykat wrote:

Sherlock meeting Magnussen? Ambulance? What?

*confused*

Join the club!

August 18, 2013 2:08 pm  #799

Be wrote:

Which leads to the question why he needs to hold pieces of paper into the cameras instead of speaking his mind about problems he has with paparazzi or a special person who annoys him or interferes with the filming.

At first hand I found it an original idea to hold a paper into the cameras. It's easy and kind of funny IMO.
Nobody has to shout and, as you can see, everyone can read it. Found it also quite nice when he "mentioned" that way that he doesn't have a twitter account. 
Regarding this special problem you are probably right. Should be other ways to solve it.

August 18, 2013 2:14 pm  #800

Next month, not sure of the date.

Board footera