BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2013 1:33 pm  #1

Benedict and James Rhodes

Many of you surely know that the wonderful pianist James Rhodes is one of Benedict's closest friends. I can only recommend his CDs and talks about classical music as well as his recent film on Channel 4 where he visited Britain largest psychiatric clinic with his grand piano.
Within the frame of a piano-dedicated evening on More4 on 3 August they did a short film in which they talk about piano music. Here's an extract:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/video/2013/jul/30/benedict-cumberbatch-james-rhodes-piano-music-video

Last edited by SusiGo (July 30, 2013 1:38 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2013 7:37 pm  #2

Re: Benedict and James Rhodes

Wow....  despite you posting about it and hearing bit and pieces (and a pic) of him and Rhodes, never really heard a lot about this!  Someone else on tumblr brought it up again with the posting of these gifs, and....  considering those two guys and how they talk in that clip, sounds really neat......  I don't suppose any of you got to watch?

Looks so pretty.....   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 13, 2013 7:51 pm  #3

Susi, I gotta say: thanks so much for that link! Those few minutes really pulled me in, and at the end of it I thought 'oh no, why does this have to end now??'. I'd love to see/hear him play that entire piece from Chopin, and I'd love to listen to those two guys forever. Really inspiring!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 13, 2013 8:12 pm  #4

Glad you like it. Check out on YT an older audio interview they did together where Benedict talks about his love for classical music. It's wonderful, too.  ​

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2013 8:51 pm  #5

I'll definitely do that, thank you!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 14, 2013 5:38 pm  #6

SolarSystem wrote:

Susi, I gotta say: thanks so much for that link! Those few minutes really pulled me in, and at the end of it I thought 'oh no, why does this have to end now??'. I'd love to see/hear him play that entire piece from Chopin, and I'd love to listen to those two guys forever. Really inspiring!

Absolutely, I could listen to them go on for hours! 
Such an amazing video. 
Thanks for sharing.

August 16, 2013 9:45 am  #7

Here is another short part, Benedict is actually playing the piano...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFg44gLgS8

It's so great when they talk about how they remember their lines/notes... two very different forms of art, but these two guys sort of bring them together beautifully. And they really make me laugh when they're laughing about James' "Yes".

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 16, 2013 9:51 am)

August 16, 2013 10:41 am  #8

I can watch this again and again and again..........

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 16, 2013 2:06 pm  #9

Mattlocked wrote:

I can watch this again and again and again..........

Same here! Apart from the fact that the two of them really seem to have a great chemistry together, the fact that Benedict is so fascinated by the piano, classical music and what it can do to people seems to fascinate me immensely for some reason.

August 16, 2013 7:19 pm  #10

I really admire James Rhodes. He´s a wonderful pianist and his Film "Notes from the Inside" is just touching. I follow him on Twitter and FB - he´s just sooo lovely!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

Board footera