BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2012 11:10 am  #21

Re: What story would you like to read next?

I'm sorry, I was really busy over the weekend, I wasn't online at all.
I will try to write my summary/review/comments in the next few days... but feel free to start the thread without me, and I'll join in later!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 16, 2012 1:13 pm  #22

Hi guys,

What's next on the list?
I have finished reading all the stories in "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" by now, got a bit carried away...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 19, 2012 8:45 pm  #23

Next is the Red Headed League. Oooh, I like this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 19, 2012 8:49 pm  #24

Fine with me. Which deadline?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 8, 2012 11:03 pm  #25

After the Red-Headed League how about my personal favorite "The Dancing Men?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 2, 2012 4:59 pm  #26

Are you all still reading the Red Headed League? I'd like to give it a go, but wasn't sure what the deadline was.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 2, 2012 5:11 pm  #27

Read it anyway and post what you think. Our boo club has become somewhat amorphous...especially with deadlines!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 3, 2012 9:57 pm  #28

Okay, good to know, thanks! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 5, 2012 8:18 pm  #29

Yeah, it's basically just an ongoing thing...so people can read the story when they like, then post their thoughts in the relevant thread. I did try with deadlines but it was pretty difficult to enforce! 

November 18, 2012 10:22 pm  #30

So, I read the Red Headed League and thought it was good.  It was my first ACD, so I confess I was expecting a bit more, but still enjoyed it. Having Watson talk about and describe Holmes' character traits was the best part for me as I could see a bit of our Sherlock there. 

March 7, 2013 11:18 am  #31

I am reading "The Sign of the Four" right now. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

July 30, 2013 8:07 am  #32

I read "Charles Augustus Milverton" yesterday night because of obvious reasons. The confrontation scene in 221 b with Holmes, Watson and Milverton is quite good. John is ready to grab a chair and get physical with Milverton, but Holmes prevents that with a look.
Later Holmes tells Watson that he will do a burglary at Milverton's and I like that Holmes says:
"You're not coming" And Watson replies: "Then you're not going".
This is interesting because now John is informed about Sherlolck's plan and they do it together. Not without a kind of confrontation. I would like to see this done in "Sherlock" with John being quite strict towards Sherlock.

I like the line in canon when Watson contemplates about them and the risk of being caught by the police.
And of course the situation at the end when a police officer wants Holmes to do the murder investiation and he gets a description of a person who looks like Watson.
Would be funny if they investigated their own burglary. Reminds me of the Hänsel and Gretel theme.

July 31, 2013 4:55 pm  #33

Really a viable story for adaptation.

Isn't there a blog discussing TV shows where we find great reviews on Sherlock. I got its link from here on our forum, but can't find it now. Anyway there is a detailed entry on how this story would be a suitable storyline for our show.

Can anyone help me find the link as I love reading her writings on Sherlock

July 31, 2013 11:51 pm  #34

Be wrote:

I read "Charles Augustus Milverton" yesterday night because of obvious reasons. The confrontation scene in 221 b with Holmes, Watson and Milverton is quite good. John is ready to grab a chair and get physical with Milverton, but Holmes prevents that with a look.
Later Holmes tells Watson that he will do a burglary at Milverton's and I like that Holmes says:
"You're not coming" And Watson replies: "Then you're not going".
This is interesting because now John is informed about Sherlolck's plan and they do it together. Not without a kind of confrontation. I would like to see this done in "Sherlock" with John being quite strict towards Sherlock.

I like the line in canon when Watson contemplates about them and the risk of being caught by the police.
And of course the situation at the end when a police officer wants Holmes to do the murder investiation and he gets a description of a person who looks like Watson.
Would be funny if they investigated their own burglary. Reminds me of the Hänsel and Gretel theme.

Haven't read that one yet, but I'm aware of what happens in Series 3 with that character. That does sound like a good opportunity for some great moments!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 13, 2013 7:01 pm  #35

Dancing Man, since it's short. Just reading?

August 14, 2013 7:16 am  #36

'The Hound of the Baskervilles' is still the best one in my opinion. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

August 14, 2013 4:17 pm  #37

I completely agree. I suggested Dancing Man for one thing it's short, for another, I read HOUND recently

August 15, 2013 12:24 pm  #38

Yes!!!! I'm going to read now

There are some interesting questions

http://www.sherlockian.net/hounds/introduction/DANC.HTM

THE DANCING MEN

Ralph Edwards - Fri, 17 Mar 1995

Was Holmes acquiring curvature of the spine?
    Did Holmes have an artificial hand?
    Was remembering four weeks unnecessary brain stuffing?
    Was the check book locked up for safety or Watson's benefit?
    Was Holmes usually in or out to unscheduled clients?
    Was mention of "no better known family" significant?
    In 1898 was a registry office wedding appropriate (without the vicar)?
    Having sent a letter earlier, why did Slaney use his full name in the     message?
    Slaney's second note says "AM HERE ABE SLANEY". What might his first chalked note have said?
    Why a week between messages?
    Was Cubitt justified in taking his own line?
    What other means could Holmes have suggested?
    Why does Holmes say "Hilton" so often?
    Would the law have upheld killing a prowler?
    Why not have farmhands follow Slaney?
    Why didn't Holmes have cablegram forwarded to North Walsham?
    Had old Anglia been more populous?
    Would a much used writing table face a window?
    Would guttering show if the candle continues in use?
    Were long sharp toes significant?
    Why straggling, irregular letters?
    What did Slaney do to occupy his waiting days?
    Was the surmise about flags entirely correct?
    Was Holmes familiar with American name contractions?
    Having "dropped" Cubitt, why would Slaney be swaggering?
    Did Slaney shoot to wound or to kill?
    How was the first of two simultaneous shots determined?

Last edited by holmes23 (August 15, 2013 12:31 pm)

August 15, 2013 7:04 pm  #39

Ok... read it  It wasn't my favourite because of those codes. Don't get me wrong, I liked the fact that the act of deciphering has been explained in a convincing way,  but IMO the very explanation process hampers the smooth reading of the story. As a brain teaser it's really a good one. A lot effort must have been put into it by ACD

The murder/suicide suspense, the way Abe Slaney caught are all very interesting.

Hilton Cubitt appears to me as a man with some arrogance. If he weren't  talking about his family honour that much, I think  hiss wife would have made a clean breast of the facts. And is it agreeable to seek someone's help to know the secret of his wife, isn't worse than making a direct appeal to her(as suggested by SH) by breaking his promise?

August 15, 2013 7:48 pm  #40

I like this one BECAUSE of the codes. One of the first things I did was draw myself out a dancing men alphabet and start to write things using it. Quite time consuming considering I'm crap at drawing.

But yeah, I wish there'd been more stories with codes and ciphers. I think it's cool the way he works them out.

Board footera