BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2013 1:42 pm  #1

Sherlock "buried" at graveyard

There's something I don't get. Everybody thinks that Sherlock committed suicide, right? Yet he was "buried" in a church graveyard, which is consecrated/holy ground. I thought that people who took their own lives weren't allowed to be buried on such ground because it's seen as a sin? Everybody thinks he killed himself, it was all over the papers...  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 13, 2013 2:39 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock "buried" at graveyard

I think, it´s not a Catholic cemetary. More likely one of the Anglican church.... I mean, I don´t know really in a lot of aspects, what that means, but it´s more "tolerant", or, than the Catholic one and could be compared in this aspect with the Protestant Church.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (August 13, 2013 2:41 pm)

August 13, 2013 4:31 pm  #3

I'm a evengelic myself and as far as I know the Protestant Church offers anybody a grave, regardless the death circumstances and wealth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 13, 2013 4:51 pm  #4

1. Graveyards nowadays normally belong to the municipality - they decide who will be buried there.
2. Protestant, Anglican and Catholic Churches offer funeral services for their members who committed suicide.

Last edited by Harriet (August 13, 2013 4:52 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 13, 2013 8:19 pm  #5

Swanpride wrote:

Even more interesting...does this mean that Sherlock was a church member? Not sure how it is in England, but here you can only be buried on the cemestry of your own confession. If you are not a church member, you normally end up at a state cemestry. (Though I guess Mycroft would have swayed whatever he liked....)

Concerning the catholic church: It's nowadays not really a problem anymore if you died of suicide (at least not over here). It's still considered a sin, especially by the catholic church, but for the pieve of mind of the grieving family, they will do it (and even in the past they often simply pretended not to know the real reason for the death, even if it was obvious).

Doubt it.  Maybe someone in his family at one time was part of the church and he still had "rights", as they say.  I'm not and never have been a member of a small Baptist church in KY, but all of my gradma's family is buried there, so my children and I could also be buried there if we so desired (which, for the record, I don't...I'm going to be cremated without any sort of funeral or headstone).

Last edited by sj4iy (August 13, 2013 8:20 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 18, 2013 11:09 am  #6

Family burial plot most likely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera