BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2012 5:17 pm  #1

If you had control over Series 3...

What would your 3 adapted episodes be?

Mine would be:

Red-Headed League - Just imagine this story "Moffatised."

Musgrave Ritual - This story expanded on could be really great.

Silver Blaze - A fun story like this would make for a fun episode.

Last edited by Davina (January 31, 2013 8:32 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 14, 2012 1:23 am  #2

Re: If you had control over Series 3...

I would definitely include The Red-Headed League as well, but I also really like The Adventure of the Dying Detective....Maybe The Sign of Four?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 14, 2012 4:47 pm  #3

I would like to see some of the elements from The Illustrious Client incorporated into the series like Sherlock being physically hurt by the bad guys and a shocked John's readiness to seek vengeance. A Moffatised version of Watson's studying up on Chinese pottery to pass for an expert would be interesting. And there is Kitty Winter too, one of the strong female characters in Canon

Charles Augustus Milverton  and The Noble Bachelor are the other two stories I would include.

December 18, 2012 6:55 pm  #4

Charles Augustus Milverton, The Illustrious client, The three Garribeds !

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

January 24, 2013 1:30 pm  #5

Milverton
Blaze
Red Headed League

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 24, 2013 7:20 pm  #6

There's one story, I can't remember what it's called so spoiler alert, where a wife reports her husband missing because she sees him go into a building but never sees him come out. When the get into his room another man is there in his place. Sherlock Holme figures out that her husband (a somewhat respected has enough money bloke) & the other man (who is a beggar) are one and the same.

I would love to see a modern electronic version of this; it could even happen at an airport where they have to verify that you are who you say you are before they let you into the country.

January 26, 2013 1:35 pm  #7

Saturn, it's 'The Man with the Twisted Lip'. Indead a nice story. I would like to see: The Red Circle, The Dying Detective and The Musgrave Ritual.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 26, 2013 2:57 pm  #8

Milverton (with mark Sheppard as Milverton)
Thor Bridge (one of the most impressive cases, IMO)
The Blue Carbuncle (just for fun)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 27, 2013 6:37 pm  #9

I'd do The Sign of Four.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 31, 2013 2:23 am  #10

I like the Silver Blaze to have more interesting episode and make the story alive and enjoying,
this gonna be nice,

Last edited by kofikingston (February 8, 2013 4:55 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.

February 17, 2013 11:29 pm  #11

I know I'd love to see a story based on 'The Engineer's Thumb' or 'Charles Augustus Milverton' :D

-------------------------------------
Tumblr

February 23, 2013 11:00 pm  #12

I would do Sign of the Four (that scene on the Thames would be great!) definitely.

Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful --- Martin Freeman 3/1/13

May 24, 2013 10:23 am  #13

Arwel Wyn Jones posted on twitter a picture with a new set. 
This made me think of something that I would like to see sometime in the future or if I had control over Series 3.
I enjoyed the scene in ASiP in 221b with Lestrade, Sherlock, John and many police personal. Just talking and deductions and people interacting without action scenes at all. The suspence was there but it was developed just by talking. Similar to the pill-scene with the cabby.

If I had control over Series 3 I would do just that and develope it to extremes: A full episode just in a flat, three rooms with some people, a  murder victim  and several suspects. Lestrade and Anderson, John with his medical expertise and nobody is allowed to leave untill the mystery is solved.

No action scenes, except the murder of course and the suspence that comes with the question who did it. Sherlock would be forced to interact with people. John sitting between metaphorical chairs wanting to help everybody. Emotional scenes because of a mourning wife or husband.

We have seen this kind of plot device of course, but it would be fun to have this situation with Sherlock and his faculties solving the crime in real time.

August 11, 2013 11:07 am  #14

Last week Arwel W Jones tweeted about a special built set. Can be anything, of course, but I imagine that they might built Sherlock's mind palace. If I had control over Series 3 I would do it.
A room for us to see into his mind. Maybe a real room, his bedroom at home where he grew up or another room at his parents' house where he stored his memories.

In Scandal we got the solution/surprise at the very end when we saw the camera footage. The mind palace can be a similar device. Can be useful in the future and would avoid the problematic "Sherlock explanes it all" by talking it through. No need to force Mr Cumberbatch to learn pages and pages of text, too.

Other ideas about this special set anybody?

August 11, 2013 12:25 pm  #15

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Milverton
Blaze
Red Headed League

*Nods ferociously*

(Mary would be the last name on this list for me. I want to see what Moffat and Gatiss have done with this character, what they have made of the docile wife of the canon stories. But this is actually giving control back to the writers, and we will get to see it anyway. I personally would give it a little dark twist and in the end let people find out something truly unexpected about her, let her be more than meets the eye.)

And I would certainly bring in some Holmes family history, not resolve everything of course, there is nothing as boring as having everything laid open before you, alI I would offer is a series of tiny glimpses behind the curtain, a bit of light shedding on the history of the difficult relationship of the Holmes brothers in a "to be continued" sort of way.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

August 11, 2013 1:49 pm  #16

Swanpride wrote:

I would like Mary to be exactly the supportive wife she is in canon. She gets way too much hate as it is. I rather want her to be the perfect match for John, so when she eventually dies, I want to weep with him from the bottom of my heart.

Oh, don't get me wrong I've stated many times how much I am looking forward to seeing Mary! The hating thing is something I will never understand anyway. She should be supportive of John, but canon Mary isn't supportive, she is mostly simply boring and docile, lets face it, she has her one true appearance in "the sign of four" and that's about it, otherwise she is there for two sentences in a story just to tell Watson to go and see Holmes. This would be a bit not enough for a modern Mary. Everyone here agrees so far that most likely she will have to go at the end of series 3, so I think it would be good to make this into a great story, which doesn't and shouldn't mean that she is basically evil and not honest about John, but maybe there is something about her past and then Milverton/Magnussen could come in.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

August 11, 2013 6:10 pm  #17

the_dancing_woman wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I would like Mary to be exactly the supportive wife she is in canon. She gets way too much hate as it is. I rather want her to be the perfect match for John, so when she eventually dies, I want to weep with him from the bottom of my heart.

Oh, don't get me wrong I've stated many times how much I am looking forward to seeing Mary! The hating thing is something I will never understand anyway. She should be supportive of John, but canon Mary isn't supportive, she is mostly simply boring and docile, lets face it, she has her one true appearance in "the sign of four" and that's about it, otherwise she is there for two sentences in a story just to tell Watson to go and see Holmes. This would be a bit not enough for a modern Mary. Everyone here agrees so far that most likely she will have to go at the end of series 3, so I think it would be good to make this into a great story, which doesn't and shouldn't mean that she is basically evil and not honest about John, but maybe there is something about her past and then Milverton/Magnussen could come in.

But apart from SIGN,  in the story The Man with the Twisted Lip we get to see a a unique characteristic of her:

Folk who were in grief came to my wife like birds to a light-house.
“It was very sweet of you to come. Now, you must have some wine and water, and sit here comfortably and tell us all about it. Or should you rather that I sent James off to bed?

Then a little later Watson says,' We soothed and comforted her by such words as we could find.'

And think of Mycroft's character. Apart from the fact that he is SH's brother, and he is the cleverer, and THE British Government, is there really much about him in the story? But Moftiss gave us a wonderfull character using these key facts about him
and adding the sibling rivelry theme. So we can surely hope of a Mary, fleshed out but true to canon .

I completely agree with you about the Magnussen point. In the story, it is also about her past, I mean something related to the past of her late father. Here in the she might have something more personal to deal with.

August 11, 2013 8:55 pm  #18

Swanpride wrote:

Thank you, I just wanted to point out the same passage. (I wonder if BBC Mary will be a grief consellour or something similiar, like a social worker). There is so much they can do with her character...it's one of the few advantage in ACD more scetchy description of most characters in the story.

Maybe a therapist?

"Partita No. 1. Thank you, Johann Sebastian Bach."

August 12, 2013 5:44 am  #19

holmes23 wrote:

But apart from SIGN, in the story The Man with the Twisted Lip we get to see a a unique characteristic of her:

Folk who were in grief came to my wife like birds to a light-house.
“It was very sweet of you to come. Now, you must have some wine and water, and sit here comfortably and tell us all about it. Or should you rather that I sent James off to bed?

Then a little later Watson says,' We soothed and comforted her by such words as we could find.'

Yes, you are absolutely right, she is mentioned there, and she seems to be a very compassionate person, but the mentioning is more or less en passant, again. We don't get to read much more about her.
I have complete trust in the writers as to how they will flesh out her character. Just like with most of the Sherlock Holmes stories, if they only stuck to canon Mary it would amount to maybe 20 minutes of screen time for her. As it has been pointed out correctly, they have done a beautiful job in enlargening Mycroft's character.
I just want her to be a bit more than a saint, and I think we will get more.

What truly intrigues me is Charles Augustus Magnussen's character, couldn't have come up with a better villain, very happy with the writer's decision there.

August 12, 2013 7:09 am  #20

And somehow it wouldn't work...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera