BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2012 9:12 pm  #1

Question about e-canon

And e-canon means, of course, an e-book version of the canon 

This is the thing; tomorrow, 1st of June, is my birthday (shared with Marilyn Monroe, not that I look anything like her, by the way) and as my mother can't keep a secret even if her life depended on it, I know now my family is giving me my first e-book (a Kindle).
I have so many books at my flat that I don't have physical space for more, so I think this is going to be a good thing for me once I get used to not smell the pages of a paper book (I don't know if anyone else here loves how books smell when they're new) so I've decided that my fisrt downloaded book must be the canon... but in English.
I own the novels and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in a Spanish translation, and I really missed a lot of the nods to the canon in the episodes because I really didn't know the original titles to some of the stories. So I want a good version of the complete canon in English and in electronic format.

So, now the question... any recommendation? I have been looking in amazon.uk and there are several editions. I don't really know which could be the best, so I'd like you all to suggest which one do you think is better. Maybe this way I will (finally) be able to join our book club .

Here's the link to the Amazon page for Sherlock Holmes e-books, I hope it works, in case you want to take a look at it.
And of course, thanks 

Sherlock Holmes complete

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 31, 2012 9:28 pm  #2

Re: Question about e-canon

I bought my Kindle edition of the Complete Sherlock Holmes (English version) for the price of 0,89 € from amazon.de. I don't know whether you can find it on the Spanish amazon site as well.

Reading on an e-book is of course much different from reading real books - I actually prefer the latter, but if you travel there's nothing more practical than a Kindle if you have to pay attention to the weight.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (May 31, 2012 9:33 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 31, 2012 9:33 pm  #3

Many thanks, tobe, it looks great. And what about the price?? Only 0.89€?? I think I'm going to save a lot of money with this Kindle thing (you can't imagine the amount of money I have spent in books...)

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 1, 2012 3:44 am  #4

I got a Kindle Touch as soon as they came out. I was skeptical at first, as nothing beats the feel of a book in your hand, the smell of the pages (new or old), even the sound of pages turning. But, I LOVE my Kindle. I can literally take an entire library with me, wherever I go.

I've downloaded a few different versions of the canon so far. I probably have 200-300 books total on my Kindle so far, and I've yet to pay for any of them. I like old, out-of-print books, and really don't read much modern stuff, so it works great. There are books I'd like to get that I'll have to buy, but I told myself I wouldn't allow this gift to myself to become a money pit. At least for the first year... 

Looking at the UK site that you linked, #13 looks pretty decent. It has good reviews, it's dirt cheap, and, most importantly, it has an active Table of Contents, so you can skip to any one of the individual stories. One of the free versions I have also contains all of Sidney Paget's original illustrations, which is nice.

Hope you enjoy your Kindle, and again, Happy (belated) Birthday!

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 1, 2012 3:49 am  #5

Happy birthday Irene.

I sideload books onto my Android and so am of no use to you with you Kindle - but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Just make sure you still use libraries if for nothing else, lip service.

We can't let our institutions fall for some fad cashing in on culture.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 1, 2012 6:51 am  #6

Many thanks, guys.

I'll have a look at the one you say, Tantalus. I think it's quite probable I'll end up buying two or three version, if I know myself

And don't worry, mor, I'll keep using librarys and book shops, you can be sure of that. I love them and have good friends working at them. And, being a researcher of ancient music, libraries are one my most important tools; I don't think I can take a look at manuscript documents from the XVIIth century on a Kindle, can I?

June 1, 2012 6:55 am  #7

Happy birthday to you. I just downloaded the complete works directly onto my I-pad so, I too, cannot help with the Kindle. I have to say that having books in 'tablet-form' makes travelling lighter much easier.

Have a lovely birthday!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 7:09 am  #8

Hmm yeah, the canon is a pretty heavy book to cart around with you....I've got a version on my iPod Classic, very handy.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 1, 2012 9:04 am  #9

Many thanks, Davina! I'd invite you all to a big big cake that Mycroft would love, but... it would have to be a virtual one

Maybe I'll do something later

Edit: Boss, I missed your post... indeed it is a heavy book to carry but... I travelled once carrying The Lord of The Rings, I could do it!
But I guess the Kindle will be much more practical...

Last edited by Irene_Adler (June 1, 2012 9:19 am)

June 1, 2012 10:59 am  #10

By the way, my complete works Sherlock Holmes was completely free to download.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 1:47 pm  #11

I'm sure there are free versions in Amazon as well, I have to take a careful look, but I want a good edition and in this case I really don't mind paying... I will surely download too the book they made for Undershaw (it's one of the few things I can do to contribute)

June 1, 2012 3:54 pm  #12

Happy birthday, Irene! Hope you enjoy your Kindle. I got one for Christmas last year and I love, love, love it! In fact, I think that I prefer reading on it to reading actual physical books (please, everyone, don't hate me!) I don't have to try to hold the pages open, I don't have to put up with text that runs too close to the centre and you have to just about break the spine of the book to read it, I can adjust the size of the type ( larger in the evening when reading in poor light on a bus after a long day) and I can read several books at once without having to carry them all around with me. I also tend to move house every 2-3 years and have about a million books still in cartons from my last move 18 months ago. If I can have all my fiction on Kindle I will save a fortune in moving costs! Still need the actual physical book for craft, decorating, art, coffee table-type books, though.

I just read The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. It is a Sherlock Holmes story, written in 2011, but perfectly in the Conan Doyle style, highly recommended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 1, 2012 9:12 pm  #13

Anthony Horowitz is an excellent writer. Just loved his Alex Rider books, even though they were for my son to read! Lol

June 1, 2012 9:26 pm  #14

Thanks hepzibah! I'll take a look at that Horowitz too

September 9, 2012 5:32 pm  #15

hepzibah wrote:

Happy birthday, Irene! Hope you enjoy your Kindle. I got one for Christmas last year and I love, love, love it! In fact, I think that I prefer reading on it to reading actual physical books (please, everyone, don't hate me!) I don't have to try to hold the pages open, I don't have to put up with text that runs too close to the centre and you have to just about break the spine of the book to read it, I can adjust the size of the type ( larger in the evening when reading in poor light on a bus after a long day) and I can read several books at once without having to carry them all around with me. I also tend to move house every 2-3 years and have about a million books still in cartons from my last move 18 months ago. If I can have all my fiction on Kindle I will save a fortune in moving costs! Still need the actual physical book for craft, decorating, art, coffee table-type books, though.

I just read The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. It is a Sherlock Holmes story, written in 2011, but perfectly in the Conan Doyle style, highly recommended.

I was looking for this. Thanks, Hep. I'll get it on my Kindle as soon as I finish my non-Sherlock book for Book Club.

Also, have just bought a (real) book of stories inspired by Sherlock Holmes and written by established writers such as Neil Gaiman. It's called "A Study in Sherlock" and edited by Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger. Anyone else read it? I'd like to discuss it once I've had a chance to get to it.

Board footera