BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2013 8:09 pm  #1

A new clue to drive us all even more insane.

I came across this post on Tumblr within the past week. I'd never seen it before so I imagine it has only just surfaced very recently. The theories put up by rebloggers strike me as ridiculous but there is no denying this is real and not photoshopped. Go watch TRF and it's there.

http://moriartistically.tumblr.com/post/57575215697/kibatheinsaneravenclaw-greencarnations

I really don't think this is something Sherlock set up. Mycroft is the sneaky, tech-savvy one but I don't understand the purpose of John wearing an earpiece. It actually looks more like a hearing aid to me but we know John isn't hard of hearing. It also doesn't look hi-tech enough for something that Mycroft would use, plus it's visible enough for Sherlock to have noticed, if John was wearing it earlier before he left to see to Mrs Hudson "dying".

Another thing is that whoever was listening on the other end would have heard Sherlock's "note" to John because that's the ear John was holding his mobile to. John and Mycroft were not expecting Sherlock to jump, I don't believe anyone but Moriarty and the snipers saw it coming. So I don't believe John was wearing an earpiece for any reason having to do with the suicide. Ugh, this is going to drive me INSANE.

I have taken to living by my wits.

The Brain Attic

August 10, 2013 8:17 pm  #2

Re: A new clue to drive us all even more insane.

vaticancameos wrote:

I came across this post on Tumblr within the past week. I'd never seen it before so I imagine it has only just surfaced very recently. The theories put up by rebloggers strike me as ridiculous but there is no denying this is real and not photoshopped. Go watch TRF and it's there.

http://moriartistically.tumblr.com/post/57575215697/kibatheinsaneravenclaw-greencarnations

I really don't think this is something Sherlock set up. Mycroft is the sneaky, tech-savvy one but I don't understand the purpose of John wearing an earpiece. It actually looks more like a hearing aid to me but we know John isn't hard of hearing. It also doesn't look hi-tech enough for something that Mycroft would use, plus it's visible enough for Sherlock to have noticed, if John was wearing it earlier before he left to see to Mrs Hudson "dying".

Another thing is that whoever was listening on the other end would have heard Sherlock's "note" to John because that's the ear John was holding his mobile to. John and Mycroft were not expecting Sherlock to jump, I don't believe anyone but Moriarty and the snipers saw it coming. So I don't believe John was wearing an earpiece for any reason having to do with the suicide. Ugh, this is going to drive me INSANE.

Oh, this isn't new at all!  I remember discussions about this "ear piece" thingy shortly after TRF aired in January 2012. To me, this "ear piece" - if it happens to be an actual one - isn't something John's wearing but Martin.at the utmost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 10, 2013 8:29 pm  #3

I think it's a bit of a longshot, to be honest.

"Partita No. 1. Thank you, Johann Sebastian Bach."

August 10, 2013 9:00 pm  #4

*facepalm*

What a stupid mistake. You'd think the film editors would have caught that and re-shot the scene with the earpiece in the other ear where it couldn't be seen.

I have taken to living by my wits.

The Brain Attic

August 10, 2013 9:17 pm  #5

Same here!   I never came across discussion of it back when (of course, back when I first discovered it, after the first series, I didn't jump into the online fan community for a while after, so missed various buzzing of things), but immediately noticed that as well.  Always figured it was for Martin to hear him, as well.  Ben's probably wearing one too... he commented once that Martin's performance moved him near tears... not sure whether he meant during it, or watching afterwards, but maybe that's why we see him welling up (just to play around with -that- much speculated aspect, too!)       

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera