BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2012 1:31 pm  #21

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

Any excuse for a spot of tea.
Speaking of which, you guys have VERY weak tea over there! lol

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 22, 2012 7:46 pm  #22

Wow, d'you really think so? How do you guys have it then?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 28, 2012 11:21 pm  #23

You all say very interesting things... now I must watch The Reichenbach Fall again before I comment 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

February 29, 2012 4:16 am  #24

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Wow, d'you really think so? How do you guys have it then?

You need to watch when Sherlock is pouring the tea. I am sure it's just water coming out of the spout. Looks fine when they are drinking it though.

Last edited by kazza474 (June 13, 2012 2:47 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 29, 2012 11:40 am  #25

Reichenbach is screening tonight over here, so it's jolted a few of my suspicions.
Again, not sure if it means anything.
Sherlock always has either his skull or John with him when he thinks. I recall him saying it's good to have someone there.
So why did he tell John to take the next taxi when they left the police station?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 29, 2012 12:10 pm  #26

That is weird actually - he's never done that before! Maybe he knew it was Moriarty and was just acting surprised - all part of the plan?

February 29, 2012 12:16 pm  #27

No idea.

I'm so cranky with the screening of this over here. They do it on a Wednesday night, bad night for such a good show.
And the adverts here are crazy; they just put one on after Moriarty & Sherlock first looked over the side at the pavement below. WHY put an ad break there??!!!!!
Arggghhhhhhhhh

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 29, 2012 12:29 pm  #28

Yeah, talk about killing the moment, lol.

February 29, 2012 12:32 pm  #29

They did it in Scandal just after Sherlock discovered Irene was alive. Straight after was when he was walking through the streets trying to gather his thoughts ( that intense expression etc) and then he arrives at Baker street.
To come off a break & see him walking the streets with that expression made him look like some kind of nutcase.
GRRRR

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 2, 2012 6:30 am  #30

I've read a lot of great ideas and theories. I watch a ton of mysteries, read a bunch too and I am really pretty awful at figuring these things out.

I read the article about the "one thing Sherlock did out of character." Is that allowing himself to be made a hero or celebrity of sorts? or was it him crying on the phone with John? I can't ever really recall him crying or showing emotion in that way, but I could very well be wrong.

What makes sense to me is that indeed Sherlock did set everything up from the start in order to bring Moriarity out of hiding. He sought high profile cases and became a big celebrity. He knew this would drive Moriarty crazy and begin the series of events that played out through the episode.

I can't quite figure out exactly what he knew would happen and didn't know but he has the basic plot. At one point I was sure he knew the "computer code" was phony but now I'm not so sure on that lol.

I definitely think that Watson was knocked down on purpose. I think Sherlock told John where to stand knowing that he would force the assassains line of sight to be obscured enough, not to mention John's as well.

I do have one sort of theory but haven't been able to develop it, and it's probably nothing. However I did notice there are cars parked and the cars block out some letters on the pavement, but some letters are visible, along with a few smaller letters below them, the letters AWSI, if I recall correctly. I just wonder if somehow this is some type of clue to the viewer?

I know that there is apparently some big clue we all missed. My question is, is it a clue to the viewer (meaning something for our benefit, like a certain camera angle or line of dialogue that no other characters were privy to) or a clue within the world of the show (one that we might catch, but also anyone in that universe would be able to figure out)

Hope to continue to see and develop more theories as it seems we have quite some time to wait until the truth is revealed.

March 2, 2012 6:36 am  #31

Hmmm, good questions! I've also often wondered if, since those comments were made about us all missing something, has anyone mentioned what it is we're missing yet? Because obviously loads of new ideas came out after that statement was made. It'd be great to know if the correct idea had been said by someone, or if we're STILL all missing something!

March 2, 2012 6:42 am  #32

Another issue that I overlooked in my last post. The little girl was horrified when she saw Sherlock?

Why? and how could she have seen him before?

The idea of a Sherlock clone or even that someone would have gotten some type of surgery to look like him seems a bit out there for such a grounded show.

The episode also never went deeply into the envelopes with the red seals and the logo on the seals...

one more thing to toss in, it seemed a bit strange to me that Lestrade was so apt to go along with the idea that Holmes was in on the kidnapping and had perhaps been involved in many other cases he worked on.

March 2, 2012 6:42 am  #33

BrandoMan13 wrote:

I can't quite figure out exactly what he knew would happen and didn't know but he has the basic plot. At one point I was sure he knew the "computer code" was phony but now I'm not so sure on that lol.

You are on a similar track to where I went with this. My theory is posted way back at the start of this thread & continues through it.

I only quoted the part of your post that i wanted to refer to. The computer code. I'm not sure what I posted on that way back then, but I am of the opinion now that there really was a code that could do some kind of damage. Mycroft referred to it, Sherlock referred to it, the assassins referred to it and of course Moriarty referred to it.
Now yes, Moriarty may have made it up & fed it to some of the others but initially Mycroft had him tortured to try & gain it. Mycroft isn't stupid, he wouldn't have been that taken in. I would imagine that as things progressed, Moriarty embellished the truth as to what it could do but there was definitely a code in my opinion.

But please go back & read my previous posts in this thread.

BTW, welcome.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 2, 2012 6:47 am  #34

kazza474 wrote:

BrandoMan13 wrote:

You are on a similar track to where I went with this. My theory is posted way back at the start of this thread & continues through it.

I only quoted the part of your post that i wanted to refer to. The computer code. I'm not sure what I posted on that way back then, but I am of the opinion now that there really was a code that could do some kind of damage. Mycroft referred to it, Sherlock referred to it, the assassins referred to it and of course Moriarty referred to it.
Now yes, Moriarty may have made it up & fed it to some of the others but initially Mycroft had him tortured to try & gain it. Mycroft isn't stupid, he wouldn't have been that taken in. I would imagine that as things progressed, Moriarty embellished the truth as to what it could do but there was definitely a code in my opinion.

But please go back & read my previous posts in this thread.

BTW, welcome.

I'm just not certain about the code. It does seem as if Moriarity made it up and in the same way he convinced everyone that Sherlock was involved, by "planting the seed" perhaps he did the same with the computer code.

I also never understood why they released Moriarity. Did I miss something, was that ever explained?

Lastly, thanks for the warm welcome.

I just watched the episode and most season ending cliffhangers leave me wanting to know how, or what will happen next. This one is even worse as I know there is some clue, some way to figure it all out and yet I haven't the slightest idea what. It compelled me to register and join in on the investigation.

March 2, 2012 6:59 am  #35

I don't think Moftiss or anyone will be telling us if anyone is right or wrong. They have the best advertising for Series 3 around - internet fandoms, bloggers, and all things related. And the series hasn't even been shot yet! (except of course for the solution. Hmmm wonder if we can hack something to get at it? lol) JUST KIDDING! Don't arrest me, unless you send Sherlock with handcuffs.

Brando, my theory on the little girl is - she was eating chocolates laced with mercury. Mercury poisoning leads to hallucinations & schizophrenia, she only needed a picture shown & a suggestion that HE was the bad guy. I don't believe in the mask theory or surgery theory either.

The seals on the letters were stamped with a magpie, the music at the start when Moriarty committed all the crimes was "The Thieving Magpie", so just a reference to that so that we knew who sent the letters.

Lestrade didn't accept the idea of Sherlock being the kidnapper, he was acting on orders to arrest him and he was disagreeing with Donovan & Anderson. He even rang Sherlock to warn him. Now doing that could have given Sherlock time to make a run for it if he wanted to, but he chose not to. Even when at the police cars when Sherlock escaped, LEstrade didn't want to chase after him, he was ordered to do so.

Moriarty was released by Mycroft because they couldn't get anything out of him & had nothing to charge him with. It'd be pointless and illegal to keep him locked up.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 2, 2012 7:06 am  #36

kazza474 wrote:

I don't think Moftiss or anyone will be telling us if anyone is right or wrong. They have the best advertising for Series 3 around - internet fandoms, bloggers, and all things related. And the series hasn't even been shot yet! (except of course for the solution. Hmmm wonder if we can hack something to get at it? lol) JUST KIDDING! Don't arrest me, unless you send Sherlock with handcuffs.

Brando, my theory on the little girl is - she was eating chocolates laced with mercury. Mercury poisoning leads to hallucinations & schizophrenia, she only needed a picture shown & a suggestion that HE was the bad guy. I don't believe in the mask theory or surgery theory either.

The seals on the letters were stamped with a magpie, the music at the start when Moriarty committed all the crimes was "The Thieving Magpie", so just a reference to that so that we knew who sent the letters.

Lestrade didn't accept the idea of Sherlock being the kidnapper, he was acting on orders to arrest him and he was disagreeing with Donovan & Anderson. He even rang Sherlock to warn him. Now doing that could have given Sherlock time to make a run for it if he wanted to, but he chose not to. Even when at the police cars when Sherlock escaped, LEstrade didn't want to chase after him, he was ordered to do so.

Moriarty was released by Mycroft because they couldn't get anything out of him & had nothing to charge him with. It'd be pointless and illegal to keep him locked up.

The mercury poisoning idea would certainly flow with the rest of the episode and the concepts of altering people's views and perceptions. I don't know if it's right or wrong but certainly makes some sense to me.

Thanks for clearing up the magpies. That would explain why they didn't need to go into it for my benefit.

Also well said with the Lestrade situation. I guess he didn't really believe but once the events were set in motion his hands were tied, and as you said, he did try to warn Sherlock. It is interesting that Sherlock didn't run, in fact he says to John something to the effect of "we are doing what Moriarity wants, becoming fugitives"

Last edited by BrandoMan13 (March 2, 2012 7:06 am)

March 2, 2012 7:11 am  #37

At that stage of the game, Sherlock wanted the showdown. He didn't want to 'go underground' he wanted Moriarty to know exactly where he was. All part of the plan to make Moriarty's ego swell to mega proportions. Once he saw the newspaper article when they were hiding in that doorway, he KNEW where to find Moriarty, at Kitty's place.

Nope, he had no intentions of 'laying low' and waiting things out at all.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 2, 2012 7:13 am  #38

I think they could have kept him locked up if it was a case of national security. The law here is, let us say, flexible in this situation.

I also think there was a code of some sort, that or a deep rooted infiltration of the security services. Remember Mycroft won't use them in Scandal because ' they spy on people for money' and he does not trust them. Recall however when he tells John that they know about people like Moriarty and that they watch them.

The use of the magpie motif is clever. The music, the seals. Magpies after all don't just steal shiny objects, they also steal the young of other birds from their nests (kidnapped children) to eat and are carrion i.e. they live off corpses. How very appropriate for Moriarty.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 2, 2012 7:18 am  #39

Very appropriate.

I think with keeping Moriarty locked up, there would be no point. And there would be a legal battle anyway whether they won or lost, it would make the media and make things 'messy'. Better to 'give him some rope' and see if he slipped up. Meantime Mycroft as usual hopes his little brother might get somewhere. I do think Mycroft & Sherlock probably discussed possible ways of making Moriarty 'sing' as it were.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 2, 2012 7:31 am  #40

I think you are right there. Testing the idea of keeping him locked up shows it would not have told them anything so it would be pointless. Also it would have made for a rubbish storyline as well! Lol

I am suspicious of the whole Sherlock courting publicity thing too.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera