BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2013 5:28 pm  #41

Re: National Theatre "Live"- Frankenstein

brilliant brilliant brilliant.     Yes definitely try to see both versions.    It's like choosing
between children,  don't do it.     I would love to see these again if they come around. 

June 14, 2013 8:40 pm  #42

sj and jen - 'Cool' to both comments.  Sounds about right to what I kept hearing and definitely agree.  Was just speculating that if I only get to see one (if I do! oh please, let it be…) that Ben's style of intense emotiveness just sounds perfect for the Creature, you know?

(drat... still no venues up yet, though.  oh, but so cool to see a couple other kinda-famous names on the site you guys may know...    Kenneth Branagh/Alex Kingston doing Macbeth, and Tom Hiddleston/Mark Gatiss in Coriolanus??  Wow... talk about stars still keeping up their awesome theatre sides!  Reminds me of when Tennant and Stewart did Hamlet... now that was the icing on cake for fans.....      )

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 14, 2013 8:42 pm  #43

Can't wait to see Coriolanus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 14, 2013 8:45 pm  #44

I think the difference for me was that while I like both actors as the creature, I think BC does a better job of Frankenstein, who, really, is a bit underwritten and needs more out of the time he gets...which I think BC does better.  I could watch it a million times either way, though.

I would LOVE to see Macbeth, but it's not near me :/  Blah.  It's my favorite Shakespeare play (even over Hamlet).

Last edited by sj4iy (June 14, 2013 8:51 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 14, 2013 9:08 pm  #45

In case anyone needs the information, the Stewart's McBeth is on Netflix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 14, 2013 9:10 pm  #46

Macbeth?
Sorry, it's a Scottish thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 14, 2013 10:36 pm  #47

Russell wrote:

sj and jen - 'Cool' to both comments. Sounds about right to what I kept hearing and definitely agree. Was just speculating that if I only get to see one (if I do! oh please, let it be…) that Ben's style of intense emotiveness just sounds perfect for the Creature, you know?)

yes and I agree with sj4iy too...

I especially enjoyed watching the emerging humanity of the Creature which
is lacking in its Creator - Benedict has that theme nailed down perfectly,
and can cover the nuances of the Creator's humanity improving due
to his creation.  We are of course used to seeing Sherlock as a bit
out of step, seeing glimpses of his compassion and humanity flicker
through, (only when it's useful, of course).

Jonny Lee Miller's spin on it plays to his (also incredible)
strengths-   but I found his humanity comes naturally to his Creature
from the moment we see him onstage  (maybe because BC is an alien,
and Jonny Lee is not?)      So his Frankenstein is not as
effortlessly aloof as Benedict's is,  but it certainly is troubled,
and catches the audience's empathy.  The interplay between
the 2 actors is like watching a master tennis game.

(drat... still no venues up yet, though. oh, but so cool to see a couple other kinda-famous names on the site you guys may know... Kenneth Branagh/Alex Kingston doing Macbeth, and Tom Hiddleston/Mark Gatiss in Coriolanus?? Wow... talk about stars still keeping up their awesome theatre sides! Reminds me of when Tennant and Stewart did Hamlet... now that was the icing on cake for fans..... )

and yes I would also love to see Macbeth.

June 14, 2013 10:36 pm  #48

besleybean wrote:

Macbeth?
Sorry, it's a Scottish thing.

Doh!  *slaps forehead*   And I know better.  Forgive my slip, this thread leaves me unbalanced.  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 15, 2013 9:16 am  #49

The NT Live site says it will be screening from 31st October 2013.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 5, 2013 3:03 am  #50

Hey guys!  So I'm not sure about you, but I've been hopefully checking their website once in a while to see when/which more venues were added.  Good news..... The other day, noticed they did!  Mediocre news.... unfortunately, as typical for exclusive theater stuff, would have to trek to Chicago, Washington, or NYC.  Eh, well... can still hope for a closer one, and should be happy at least they brought it over this way.  I noticed a lot of Europe (or other countries) still hasn't had anything added yet... bummer.  Hopefully that will change.  You lucky Brits!  ;P

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 5, 2013 3:25 am  #51

Russell wrote:

Hey guys! So I'm not sure about you, but I've been hopefully checking their website once in a while to see when/which more venues were added. Good news..... The other day, noticed they did! Mediocre news.... unfortunately, as typical for exclusive theater stuff, would have to trek to Chicago, Washington, or NYC. Eh, well... can still hope for a closer one, and should be happy at least they brought it over this way. I noticed a lot of Europe (or other countries) still hasn't had anything added yet... bummer. Hopefully that will change. You lucky Brits! ;P

I did see a message on it that more venues would be added shortly.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 5, 2013 4:22 am  #52

sj4iy wrote:

I did see a message on it that more venues would be added shortly.

Yup!   Was just commenting that since it was first announced (and hardly anything was listed except for that message), was nice to see it had slowly grown a bit...  hopefully plenty more countries have agreements in progress for the fans there! 

July 5, 2013 6:49 am  #53

I still hope there will be some in Germany, too. Looks as if there were only places in the UK so far. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 6, 2013 8:43 pm  #54

Seems someone uploaded "Frankenstein" with BC as the creature on YouTube, in about 15 parts or so. Here is a link to Part 1, I'm afraid the quality isn't too good though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMCobhJhYhI

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 6, 2013 11:43 pm  #55

I made need those youtube videos to comfort me.  Right now the closest it's coming to me is over 600 miles away.,  *sniffle*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 6, 2013 11:58 pm  #56

tonnaree wrote:

I made need those youtube videos to comfort me.  Right now the closest it's coming to me is over 600 miles away.,  *sniffle*

There's a much better quality version of JM as the creature and BC as Frankenstein.  You can see and hear it much better.

August 7, 2013 12:13 am  #57

sj4iy wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

There's a much better quality version of JM as the creature and BC as Frankenstein.  You can see and hear it much better.

Link?!?!?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 7, 2013 1:05 am  #58

tonnaree wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Link?!?!?

Sent you a PM

August 7, 2013 5:22 am  #59

sj4iy wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Link?!?!?

Sent you a PM

Oh, I'd love to have that link as well...! When it was in cinemas here last year I didn't even know who Benedict was, so of course I missed this.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 7, 2013 7:17 am  #60

I hope they will announce more screenings in Germany soon. It might be a bit crazy to drive 6 hours to Berlin just to see Ben on screen :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

Board footera