BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2012 5:15 pm  #1

National Theatre "Live"- Frankenstein

I went to the cinema yesterday to see The Avengers and was startled when, while looking down in my handbag during the previews I heard Benedict Cumberbatch's name. I looked up to see what that was about. It turns out that cinemas all over the country are going to be screening Frankenstein live from the National Theatre.

Personally, I'm not interested in seeing it. I've heard about these "Fathom Events" things and they don't seem very invigorating. Watching a play live from an ocean away doesn't seem very appealing to me. If I lived in the UK or was visiting, I think I'd definitely go see a few productions at the National Theatre just because I love theatre (and Benedict Cumberbatch). But as far as this goes...blech.

So, thoughts? (Oh, also, has anyone actually seen Frankenstein? I've never read the novel but I've been meaning to for a long time.)

Last edited by Davina (June 15, 2013 9:15 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

May 30, 2012 6:01 pm  #2

Re: National Theatre "Live"- Frankenstein

This will not actually be a 'live' showing as the play is no longer being performed. Rather it is a further showing as it won an Olivier award for both Benedict and Jonny Lee Miller. By all accounts the performances are astounding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2012 6:16 pm  #3

Really? Because the advertisement claims that it is a "live" showing. Lies! XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

May 30, 2012 6:19 pm  #4

It was recorded live but this was last year. At the time it was shown live in cinemas. This time they are just showing it again. It was recorded in front of a normal audience in The National Theatre.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 31, 2012 2:53 am  #5

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Really? Because the advertisement claims that it is a "live" showing. Lies! XD

It's all in this thread :
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=187

I'm going to both screenings, they start in about a week or two's time here in Australia.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 5:05 am  #6

Oh thanks for the reminder! It's on at Dendy here in the first two weekends of June I think. Which means that the first session is this weekend? God I hope not, I'm moving house.

Edit: okay no the first screening is on the 9th/10th June. All good!

Last edited by Wholocked (May 31, 2012 5:07 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 31, 2012 5:12 am  #7

LOL
Yes 2 weekends away yet, don't panic.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 5:29 am  #8

I must've forgotten my towel...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 31, 2012 5:29 am  #9

Going 14th June in Manchester. Trying to organize a meetup of other fans too!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 31, 2012 9:08 am  #10

I have my tickets for both versions. I am going because I am interested in seeing a play performed by two award-winning actors, not because I want to see a nearly naked BC rolling around on the stage for 15 minutes (and if you believe that, I have a large bridge in Sydney that I am interested in selling).

I recently read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for free on my Kindle, it was very different to what I had imagined, nothing like Mel Brooks' Young Frakenstein! i also read the play by Nick Dear so I would know what i was in for. Both very highly recommended.

Also, BC nearly naked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know, I'm shallow ;)

Last edited by hepzibah (May 31, 2012 9:09 am)

FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

May 31, 2012 10:33 am  #11

A friend of mine highly recommended these viewings,  she saw them last year when they were broadcast in theaters.
I'm going this weekend.   Jonny Lee Miller as monster this Saturday,  followed by Benedict as monster on Monday.  Hooray!

May 31, 2012 12:13 pm  #12

The alternative title for Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley, is A Modern Prometheus. This indicates much about its themes. I am going to watch too. Enjoy!

May 31, 2012 1:32 pm  #13

Oh, God, I'm sooooo jealous of you all...

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 31, 2012 1:42 pm  #14

I'll give you a blow by blow description! We usually don't get such prestigious stage shows here, only the big blockbuster musicals. A friend went to New York last year and saw How To Succeed In Business with that Harry Potter kid, I was sooo jealous (not about the Harry Potter kid, I hasten to add). If I lived in New York or London I would be at the theatre every night. Because in my fantasy life I would be rich enough to afford theatre tickerts every night, and not have to go to work the next day, so i could go to cast parties and meet famous actors...oh, shut up.

Last edited by hepzibah (May 31, 2012 1:43 pm)

FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

May 31, 2012 2:12 pm  #15

hepzibah wrote:

If I lived in New York or London I would be at the theatre every night. Because in my fantasy life I would be rich enough to afford theatre tickerts every night, and not have to go to work the next day, so i could go to cast parties and meet famous actors...oh, shut up.

Wow, my fantasy life is exactly the same
Though in London, not New York. I have nothing against New York, but I would prefer London. It's closer to my people and it's Sherlock's and the Doctor's city (well, the Doctor is technically from Gallifrey, but let's be honest, he practically lives in London )
And also, there's a lot of Shakespeare there... Obviously, I was born in the wrong country

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 31, 2012 2:55 pm  #16

We have had both ways round on the cinema here too 
Benedict as monster last year, and as Frankenstein this year 
It was like both my Christmases had come, 12 months apart....

(They should give up the 'Live boradcast' riff. We also get some Shakespeare from NT...do they think we really belive they are starting their performance at 1 in the morning to suit EST?)

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 31, 2012 5:00 pm  #17

Irene_Adler wrote:

hepzibah wrote:

If I lived in New York or London I would be at the theatre every night. Because in my fantasy life I would be rich enough to afford theatre tickerts every night, and not have to go to work the next day, so i could go to cast parties and meet famous actors...oh, shut up.

Wow, my fantasy life is exactly the same
Though in London, not New York. I have nothing against New York, but I would prefer London. It's closer to my people and it's Sherlock's and the Doctor's city (well, the Doctor is technically from Gallifrey, but let's be honest, he practically lives in London )
And also, there's a lot of Shakespeare there... Obviously, I was born in the wrong country

I get that about being born in the wrong country. I really wish I could have seen this thing in the actual theatre.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 6, 2012 6:30 am  #18

Ah, Frankenstein!  well that was exhausting!    First day the Jonny Lee Miller creature,  then yesterday the Benedict creature!  I
can't imagine the 2 of them doing that show night after night!   It was really so great to see their different takes on these roles, and
to compare their choices back-to-back  Wow. Bravo.   I hope some of you also are getting to see these re-broadcasts?
Of course if we're lucky one day they'll release the DVDs 

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/69755/productions/frankenstein-venues.html

June 6, 2012 6:31 am  #19

They said they never will release the DVDs.
I believe them.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 1:08 am  #20

I am SO upset that I can't see it! Grrr!
It's not even so much about Benedict, but it's Frankenstein and everybody's talking so well of it and... well, obviously Benedict. But I would even wanna watch it if he wasn't in it. It just sounds waaaay to awesome. Dammit.

I'm still hoping for a DVD. Or piracy.
I know that right now they're more like "meh, we're not going to release a DVD", but who knows, a LOT may change after the screenings.
(I mean, denying a DVD release of course helps box office...)

Board footera